• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Zeno Agency (John Parker, John Berlyne)

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
West Coast Writer ...Yep, I'm still waiting!

Gravity ...How long had they had your material for?

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I need to keep repeating my patience is a virtue mantra. It's been just over 12 weeks since John Parker requested my 1st 50 and synopsis.

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm coming up to 14 weeks of waiting ...do I just assume that I won't be getting a response? The Zeno website says it can take them UP TO eight weeks at busy times?
Seems like a long time, especially when some of the successful queriers from this last open period (Anne Lyle!! ...well done lady!) are even getting book deals already!

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I got a fast response from Zeno because I had submitted my manuscript to Angry Robot and got an R&R before I even queried Zeno. And I got an offer from AR only three weeks after I submitted my full - I'm not sure JB has even had time to read it yet *lol*

They're probably tied up at the moment with the London Book Fair, and of course new clients like me have been keeping them busy these past few weeks. Let me know if you still haven't heard by the 20th, and I'll try to remember to ask JB what their current turnaround is when I see him at EasterCon.

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Anne! I don't have a problem with waiting at all, if they just haven't got round to it yet, it's just always having that possibility of a "no response means no" that gets me down : )

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
Been away, and hoped I'd come back to a response ...false hopes! Ah well, the wait continues.

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
...and so, I'm creeping towards 4 months now. I'm really not keen on the whole nudging thing but, would it be appropriate?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I was on a panel with John Berlyne at Eastercon and he said that they still had a stack of submissions from January that they hadn't yet looked at. They do reply to everything.

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
Well, after much umming and ahhing, I nudged last week and got the following response today
This is on the agenda but it will be a a couple of weeks before I can get back to you.
regards,

good to know!

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Are they open for submissions? I thought they were closed.

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
Doobie, any news?

I banged mine in early Feb, and then immediately got a sniff from another agent wanting the full ms. But.... Zeno was/is my dream agency, so i let Zeno know, and they 'd said they'd come back to me sharpish if they were interested. They didn't, so fair enough. But I hold out hope that it's stuck in a list of emails.... vain hope I know....

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
Query sent December 20th
partial and synopsis requested December 29th
Nudge sent April 26th
Response to nudge -we're getting to it- May 3rd
Partial and synopsis requested (again!) May 14th

I sent the partial and synopsis off again but, am a bit confused as it seems like he thought he hadn't requested it already. On the plus side, it's good to think that my query sparked his interest enough twice!

And still I wait!

soopykun

Registered
Reaction score
I queries back in Jan, got an instant reply stating that my word count was too low to be viable (it was 55,000 for a YA). Didn't feel too good about that, as word count can easily be adjusted.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Word count can be adjusted - but agents with a lot of queries to get through are usually looking for reasons to quickly reject. Sad but true.

Doobie, I had to resend JB my full, once I got the offer from Angry Robot. I expect that if he can't quickly find an email (and I imagine his mailbox was pretty overflowing after they opened their doors), it's less hassle for him to request another copy.

Hugs on the waiting - unfortunately current clients, and prospective clients with deals on the table (like me), get priority over new subs. This is true of all agents, though.

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
Nae luck for me, I didn't make the grade, but good luck to everyone waiting! (especially you, Doobie!)

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
The good wishes of you kind folk hearten me considerably Anne and Brindle!
It's really feeling LONG!

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
Oohh, thanks Anne, I do love a hug.

On the positive side, one agent has asked for the full, and another for the first three. Scooby snacks all round!

Shouldn't be long now, Doobie, paws crossed....