You’ll know it’s ready when ... ?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Very few first time authors will be decent editors. They just won't. That's kind of the point.

This depends entirely on what you mean by "first time authors." Writing THE END doesn't make a finished manuscript, and more than a few first time authors sub stuff that shouldn't be subbed.

Hiring an editor can be a step in learning to edit your own work. But if you want a trade pub career, you've got to learn how to produce a good-enough MS without outside help.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eventually, yes. But it is a skill that gets developed, it isn't something you can buy off of the shelf, it's something that has to be developed over a long period of time. Very few first time authors will be decent editors. They just won't. That's kind of the point.
To the extent we're talking about - editing pre-submission, as opposed to pre-publication - you'd hope that most writers have developed the skill years before they start writing, through engaged reading.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Entrada publishing recently had a sale going for 3 beta readers for $99, might still be. I went for it for my MS#2 and I think I got my money's worth. The real value is they don't care about your feelings, so you don't have to worry about them being nice :cool: