YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
If half the stuff in this letter was on the PA website, I probably wouldn't have a problem with them. The kind explanations they gave me.

Looking at their website, the 'facts' they give are a bunch of weasel-wording.
And yeah, why didn't they send one to Mac, and threaten AW?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
When I saw the title I dropped in to the thread thinking I might need to edit it - but after reading Christine's post - it seems completely appropriate. I could still get overruled by the forum mod, but IMO, completely appropriate.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I pass the hat for when they take me to court?

Pass that hat along this-a-way, Christine. Does a donation buy me a seat at the trial? That's gonna be one hell of a show.:popcorn:

Oh, btw, PA is a vanity press scam. So there!

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Dawno, it was what came to mind. If you gotta change it, you gotta.

Scribhneoir, yes sir. Bigger dontations get better seats.

Did they really think I would just shut up? Have they NOT paid attention to who they're dealing with? If they visited any other thread here, like OP or TIO, where I've participated with tenacity, they'd know better.

I know people in the press too, who would be more than happy to drive to Md. My father used to work for the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. PA, are you listening?

Swing and a miss.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone wants a copy of this thing, I will be happy to scan it and send it along.

Can we put it online? I've got a website or two with extra space, I'm sure others do too.

I'm not totally sure about the propriety of putting a "private communication" online, but seeing that it says "cease and desist" it's a quasi-legal document - had it been filed with the court as I think a TRUE "cease and desist" has to go through (IANAL, etc.) it would indeed be a public document. Did you have to sign for it when it was delivered?

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yep, I had to sign.

It's not a legal document though - it's on photocopied letterhead and reads like a letter. Plus the 'call us at to discuss a settlement' thing leads me to believe it's not a legal document.

I've gotten one like this before, when someone was trying to tell me (and a bunch of other crafters) that I was using a process patented by him to make a craft. Tried to get me to pay a licensing fee. Since I didn't use his exact process, no way was I paying.

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
How did they get your address? I'm tempted to post mine here... I want a cool letter...

alleycat

Behaving
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll chip in on the legal defense fund.

I hate bullies.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
If half the stuff in this letter was on the PA website, I probably wouldn't have a problem with them. The kind explanations they gave me.

Looking at their website, the 'facts' they give are a bunch of weasel-wording.
And yeah, why didn't they send one to Mac, and threaten AW?

I believe they have been editing their website, to include phrases such as:
To the contrary, PA notes that it maintains "lower acceptance barriers" than other traditional publishers.

I may be mistaken, but this looks like a new addition since the unveiling of Crack of Death.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I believe they have been editing their website, to include phrases such as:
To the contrary, PA notes that it maintains "lower acceptance barriers" than other traditional publishers.

I may be mistaken, but this looks like a new addition since the unveiling of Crack of Death.

You can usually find earlier versions of just about any website by date through "The Wayback Machine" at:

http://archive.org

It's amazing. It's got my old website I had on my Mindspring account that I dropped a couple years ago. Just in case any entity wants to do some research on me.

Oh, and did I ever say that from everything I can determine, that I believe PublishAmerica is a scam? Well I've said it now...

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Count me into when you pass the hat around. I can't send much but I'll send what I can. I have always admired you Christine and think you're one of the better posters on this board right up there with Uncle Jim. So if you need help let me know.

A.M. Wildman

Tentenda via est
Registered
Reaction score
How did they get your address? I'm tempted to post mine here... I want a cool letter...

Actually, it wasn't hard. If they are used to this board, and how it works they probably looked under her public profile. Right there is a link to her web page with her name, and the city and state she lives in. It would take an amateur detective about 15 mins to check court, or other records and get an address.

Just one way. :)

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Thanks, CatSlave. It's highlighted, but I didn't see it before.

Whatever. They know where I live. They'd better not try to send me a fake cop like they did to Kevin. I happen to know every single one in our township. By first name. Including the Chief. Fringe benefit of being in EMS for a couple of years, and having a hubby who's the fire chief.

Try that crap and I'll send 'em back to the stone age.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Now, I'm not a lawyer and I don't even play one on the 'net - and I'm sure Jaws and Uncle Jim will be along shortly to help out here, but according to wikipedia (I know... not the most sterling source) "Cease and desist letters allow the recipient to file for declaratory judgment in their own jurisdiction, which requires the sender to appear in a distant court, at their own expense." They may have stuck their necks in their own noose.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Wouldn't that be funny? Considering the local ABC affiliate did a consumer report on PA, for them to have to come here and fight would be a riot. I could get media coverage. Oh yes I could.

How y'all feel about coming to NJ?

I'm pretty sure this isn't a 'real' cease and desist. Just a "polite" warning. If it was real, wouldn't it have to have a case number, etc..And the slip I had to sign was from the attorney's office, so it's not like PA even paid for the courier. Vic put it on his boss' tab. Probably part of his retainer.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
This is my favorite part of that article.

There have been criticisms from civil liberties and free speech groups that cease-and-desist letters may be used by wealthy individuals and corporations to bully their less-monied opponents into silence, as many people will comply with even an unjustified cease-and-desist letter due to their unwillingness to engage in an expensive lawsuit. Such groups call this a chilling effect on free speech.

The power of the internet.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away