Yet another intro thread

NickPATX

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

My name is Nick and I'm a software engineer in Austin, TX currently working on my first novels and feeling out the prospect of switching my career from software to writing! My go-to genre has always been fantasy for fiction and for non-fiction history and philosophy, though recently I've been expanding my horizons to include a lot of philosophical fiction and great novels of all sorts. Looking forward to giving and receiving feedback on all of our work!

Bonus picture of my dog:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Nick! (And hi, Nick's dog!) Welcome to you. I lived in Austin long ago and miss some aspects of it to this day, although I'm sure a lot has changed in that time.

As someone actively seeking to give and receive feedback, I urge you to check out the SYW (Share Your Work) boards for any genre you read or in which you write. There are many fellow writers eager for feedback, and if you're among those who provide it, not only will it move you closer to the fifty posts needed to put your own work up, but people will feel like they know you a little, maybe even owe you one.

Maryn, wondering when's the last time anybody vacuumed this welcome mat

Reactions: NickPATX

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, lurk, hang out, post in a thread or two as impulse hits. A mod will wander in to post the official welcome. There is a 50 post rule, don't rush, before sharing your own work in that section. As Maryn said, you are welcome to crit or provide feedback on the stories in any of the share your work sections.

I am intrigued by the concept of philosophical fiction.

NickPATX

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, lurk, hang out, post in a thread or two as impulse hits. A mod will wander in to post the official welcome. There is a 50 post rule, don't rush, before sharing your own work in that section. As Maryn said, you are welcome to crit or provide feedback on the stories in any of the share your work sections.

I am intrigued by the concept of philosophical fiction.
Have you read Dostoevsky? He's the first who comes to mind when explaining philosophical fiction. Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov in particular. Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra as well, thought I don't think he wrote anything else you could call a novel. Pretty much any novel by Ayn Rand or Albert Camus could fall under it as well, and Huxley, Tolstoy, and Orwell to a lesser extent (seeing as the philosophy is closer to incidental in their works. The former all essentially use the novel to illustrate their philosophical arguments.)

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
I am afraid I have never had any interest in the classic writers such as Dostoevski. I've read Dickens, Tolkien, Vern and more, even Melville.

I did attempt The Handmaid's Tale, but the creative arrangement of the storyline ended up trumping my interest in the subject. I did appreciate the author having the character explain why the storyline jumped.

I think Orville wrote 1984. 1984 was disturbing to the voracious reader I was at the age, not to mention how much I thought about anything that caught my interest.

I look forward to seeing your name around AW.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, NickPATX and Pooch! It's lovely to have you both here. Allow me to offer you a cup of coffee and a nice meaty beef bone.

Nether

has been brought to a creepy mansion in a cemetery
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

My name is Nick and I'm a software engineer in Austin, TX currently working on my first novels and feeling out the prospect of switching my career from software to writing!

Personally, I'd suggest focusing on one first novel instead of two (or more), just because it can already be hard enough writing a first novel in terms of sticking with it. Of course, I'm biased in that multiple projects were one reason I didn't finish things for a very long time.

My go-to genre has always been fantasy for fiction and for non-fiction history and philosophy, though recently I've been expanding my horizons to include a lot of philosophical fiction and great novels of all sorts. Looking forward to giving and receiving feedback on all of our work!

I'd never heard of philosophical fiction, but as I went down the list of examples I realized how many of those I've read (or, in the case of Animal Farm, seemed adapted to nightmare fuel film).

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Nick and Nick's pup! It's great to meet you :D

AW is, in my opinion, the premier writing place on the nets. There is much information here regarding all things writing and publishing to help you on your journey, and an awesome community of writerly folk to hang out with, from newbies to industry veterans. The boards are large and it can be easy to get lost/overwhelmed at first but if you take your time acclimating you'll find yourself at home in no time.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Doing this will help you understand the forum rules, as well as the culture and etiquette of each space within. Our FAQ room is also full of helpful information.

You might enjoy browsing the various rooms within our Writing Genre section. You might also like our Share Your Work subforums. While we have a 50-post requirement (and a no-rushing-to-50 requirement, too) before you can start a thread in there, you can jump in immediately and offer critiques/insight of your own if you want. In fact, my personal experience is that offering crit has helped my own writing far more than receiving crit. Objectivity of distance, and all that. Before posting in SYW please peruse the stickies in the Intro to Share Your Work room.

Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.