Writing Blogs: What do you Post?

Pat Waldron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
readandwritelikeawriter.blogspot.com
Hey writing gang! Just a quick question for those of you that have blogs. What kind of content do you post? Do you write articles? Do you repost from other well-known sources? Do you put up samples of your own writing? I've been writing articles lately on my own. I'd love to hear what some other ideas are from other users on this awesome community!

Justin
I blog about writing techniques. My books are ten times better than my blog post and I am considering posting one of my books on my blog. Maybe monetize some other way.

Come to think of it my book format would generate a ton of clicks for my blog. I make books where I hyperlink all of the plot points of a classic story. My current one is Aladdin by the Brothers Grimm. For example, you can look at the main plot beat sheet and click on the scene number for the inciting incident, the call to adventure, the low point, the climax and BOOM! you're in the scene. A single visitor to my site could generate hundreds of clicks.

Reactions: Elenitsa

KopyKat

Registered
Reaction score
I started my blog to post weekly articles I wrote for my local paper, which I did for five years. The blog allowed friends, family and others who didn't have access to the paper could read it on the website. Since I no longer write for the paper, I still write articles and post. I have also started exhuming some of my past short stories to post. I enjoy writing for its own sake and sharing with a growing audience, but have no ambitions to be a "published author". That is more work than I have time for, nor interest in.

Kyrin Sturdivant

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kyrinsturdivant.com
It depends on what your objective is with the blog. If you're trying to get traffic to a site you'll need to write about things that people are actually searching for on Goole usually on a slightly narrow/niche topic. If you don't care if anyone reads it or would just like to use it as a portfolio site, then write what your heart tells you.
I agree, since mine is a portfolio site primarily, I add writerly blog posts on things about and related to writing or more personal journal posts about me and something interesting that happened during my day.

Kyrin Sturdivant

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kyrinsturdivant.com
Hey writing gang! Just a quick question for those of you that have blogs. What kind of content do you post? Do you write articles? Do you repost from other well-known sources? Do you put up samples of your own writing? I've been writing articles lately on my own. I'd love to hear what some other ideas are from other users on this awesome community!

Justin
This is sort of a half answer but I highly suggest displaying a picture along with whatever you decide to write, when reading a blog it's nice as a reader to have a visual in addition to prose. Also, you might consider structuring the piece with short paragraphs as opposed to large chunks of text, it helps the reader to have a less strenuous time getting through a piece if it's quickly digestible.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is sort of a half answer but I highly suggest displaying a picture along with whatever you decide to write, when reading a blog it's nice as a reader to have a visual in addition to prose. Also, you might consider structuring the piece with short paragraphs as opposed to large chunks of text, it helps the reader to have a less strenuous time getting through a piece if it's quickly digestible.
Hey Kyrin, just flagging that the poster asked that question about four years ago, so probably won't be around to benefit from your advice. It's a good idea to check the dates on posts before you reply to them ;)

DorothyDHoffman

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I primarily focus on creating content related to pets, specifically cats and dogs. I enjoy writing articles that cover a wide range of topics, including pet care tips, training advice, health information, and product reviews. I strive to share my personal experiences and insights to help fellow pet owners provide the best care for their furry friends. It's fantastic to hear that you've been writing articles too!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I primarily focus on creating content related to pets, specifically cats and dogs. I enjoy writing articles that cover a wide range of topics, including pet care tips, training advice, health information, and product reviews. I strive to share my personal experiences and insights to help fellow pet owners provide the best care for their furry friends. It's fantastic to hear that you've been writing articles too!
Welcome, DorothyDHoffman. I encourage you to go to the New Members section and start a thread to introduce yourself.

sea_improvement

Registered
Reaction score
Website
flowmodoro.com
What kind of content do you post?
I mostly write content about productivity since that's my niche. I'll reiterate what someone said above, the content really depends on the blog. If it's a blog with your name on it, then it can be about whatever you want. If your blog is centered around marketing and that's what your readers are expecting, it's probably a good idea to stick with that.

Do you write articles?

Yup! Sometimes essays or trying to answer a question.

Do you repost from other well-known sources? Do you put up samples of your own writing?
Sometimes, but make sure it has a canonical_url option, otherwise it might hurt your SEO rankings because Google will complain that the same content is on both sites and can't determine which one is the 'real' one.