Would you call this story "Queer Lit"?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

BRG2003

Registered
Reaction score
As a queer writer I like my queer characters, obviously. Less obviously, I don't read or write a lot of literature focused on gender or sexuality as their main concern/plot. They aren't my kind of story, with a few exceptions. So when it comes to labeling my current story I'm a bit confused.
I have five main characters. They include a pan girl, an asexual romantic girl, a bisexual boy and a demisexual boy in a relationship and a trans lesbian. So, an entire LGBTQ+ main cast as you can see, plus some side characters too. But the thing is, their genders and sexualities aren't the focus of the story. I plan to have some subplots about them since coming of age is part of the story and my sexuality and gender where big parts of my own experience growing up, but the main plot will still consist of investigating supernatural happenings.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Would you call a story where queer sexualities and gender identity receive focus but not the main spotlight Queer Literature or not?

Reactions: Fiender

ChaseJxyz

Writes birds and bird accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Ahhh, that really depends, and I don't think there's a concrete answer to this. For some people, even mentioning that queer people exist makes your work Too Gay and is shoving it down people's throats. For others, the entire story needs to revolve around queer identity and/or culture for it to be "queer literature."

I think it ultimately depends on what the publisher/agent/marketer wants to define as queer literature for it to be considered as such. There definitely needs to be more stories of regular people doing regular stuff, and they just so happen to be queer, and their conflicts/struggles don't solely exist around them being queer, so for some agents, that's what they're looking for! Or maybe they want the romance in the story to be queer for it be such.

This is something I struggle with, too. My main manuscript has a trans love interest but since he passes as cis (thanks, magic) and it's a get relationship, I get guilty calling the story queer because, to me, it doesn't feel queer enough. Even though one of the POVs is a lesbian, and there's a genderfluid dragon with multiple pronouns, and the MC is at least bi, but the relationship that happens is het...so my brain still tells me "no it's not queer enough to label it as such." But I don't have this problem with my werewolf story, probably because the transness of the MC is critical to the story.

Reactions: BRG2003 and Fiender

Featured Book