Would you buy/read a book by an author you don't like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Who cares what the writer is like? Do you refuse to buy a chair because the person who made it is a jerk? Do you refuse to eat a steak because the rancher who raised the steer is an idiot?

The real idiot is the person who can't separate a writer from his book. As a writer, anyone so intellectually limited is not someone I want reading my books, anyway.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Honestly an actors or writers personal views have never really stopped me from purchasing their books or watching their movies.

Did anyone buy books when Stephen King was an alcoholic? Wouldn't you be afraid that you were just supporting his habit at the time?

I see it as their opinion and everyone can have one. Now if it was something along the lines of Roman Polanski and being a child molester that is something else entirely. But just for having an opinion no. I try to separate the work from the person. If I can do that with actors I can do that with authors.

Reaction score
I just thought...what if someone is a real See You Next Tuesday, but they publish under a pen name? What if you've read a book by someone you strongly dislike...but never know?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who cares what the writer is like? Do you refuse to buy a chair because the person who made it is a jerk? Do you refuse to eat a steak because the rancher who raised the steer is an idiot?

The real idiot is the person who can't separate a writer from his book. As a writer, anyone so intellectually limited is not someone I want reading my books, anyway.
Well, I guess as an intellectualy limited idiot, I probably won't be reading any of your books any time soon. Silly me for letting my personal views get in the way of reading Orson Scott Card, who campaigns to make sure I'm denied my basic civil rights.

On that note, I'll take my leave of this thread.

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I tone down my sexiness when I'm here. :e2brows:

You know, I had my suspicions... ;)

Posted by Chris P:
If I interacted with my favorite authors (well, most are dead now) as much as I interacted with people on AW, I'd see less-savory sides of them too. I was initially put off by some of the stuffed shirts here, but in time I recognized that many of them really knew their stuff. It took a while to distinguish a jerk from a useful jerk.
Well, I'm not so much referring to "stuffed shirts" as people who are just nasty and unkind for the sake of being so, like it's a sport or mental illness. ;) To me, there's a difference.

Posted by SusanL:
If I dislike to author for whatever reason, I won't read their books. Why would I waste my time and money on someone who has obvious ongoing attitude? There are too many good writers out there who do not have that.
Exactly my point. :)

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score

So, you're calling us idiots now? Because our opinion differs from yours? Way to prove my point. Thanks.

Last edited:

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I didn't think this would ever be an issue, but then bought a book by an award-winning author that happened to be an English teacher in his past life--and taught one of my best friends. She dished so much dirt on this guy I couldn't quite pick up the book again. Sometimes you just don't want to know...

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I've been thinking about this (yeah, dangerous I know.). There are a couple of writers I don't read, and it's not because of their views as such. It's because their views are too apparent in their books (I don't mean just one book where the POV character has views I don't agree with - I mean across several books they display less than savoury attitudes consistently)

If they had those views, but they weren't apparent in their books, I suppose I would still read them. But they're in there and it turns me off, so I don't read them any more.

In the end, it's all about the book.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I just thought...what if someone is a real See You Next Tuesday, but they publish under a pen name? What if you've read a book by someone you strongly dislike...but never know?

And on a similar note, what of the thousands of authors who don't make their beliefs publicly known, and who aren't vocal on hot-button issues? Their beliefs don't go away just because they don't blog openly about them.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
If I'm insulted or offended personally, then no, I'm almost certain I wouldn't buy or read their work.

But if the behaviour in question is a rant about idiots who are willing to stand in line to have a book signed only to tell the author they didn't like it or is a rant in retaliation directed at people who feel a need to publically blast negativity about an author or her work, what do I care? If they (the authors) want to blast away at the people who get under their skin and don't care about adding more fuel to the fire, it doesn't bother me or change my opinion about their stories.

I'm more inclined to not buy or not read a book because I don't like what I've previously read of theirs - whether it's the story itself or the way they string their words together.

Reaction score
I'm more offended by people who pretend to be nice to get friends and fans, than by those who are open and honest about their arseholery* anyway.

*That's a real word.

Plus, arseholery is a matter of opinion. What some folks hate, will draw others to you.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this (yeah, dangerous I know.). There are a couple of writers I don't read, and it's not because of their views as such. It's because their views are too apparent in their books (I don't mean just one book where the POV character has views I don't agree with - I mean across several books they display less than savoury attitudes consistently)

If they had those views, but they weren't apparent in their books, I suppose I would still read them. But they're in there and it turns me off, so I don't read them any more.

In the end, it's all about the book.

Oh yeah, authors proselytizing in books is a huge turnoff! I can get past it if it's integral to character development but then it's usually obvious and not an "author's platform".

On the topic of pen names and authors who are crap* but don't show it/blog about it: I'm more worried about what I do know and what I do observe. So, back full circle. If an author publicly acts like an ass all or most of the time, then I most likely won't waste money / time on their books. If an author plays nice to build up a fan base, well I consider that pretty damn smart and good business protocol. You can't please everyone all of the time but you don't have to go out of your way to be a total jackass. Just MHO. :)

ETA: *"Crap", not as a reference to writing skill, but crap as in "bad behaviour". :)

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Oh yeah, authors proselytizing in books is a huge turnoff! I can get past it if it's integral to character development but then it's usually obvious and not an "author's platform".

...cough....Dean Koontz...cough

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
What if you really enjoyed that book?

If, say Orson Scott Card, an author whom I won't read because the brand name has been tainted (and if you think about it, an author's name is a brand name for books) and I have no interest in his works now due to this negative press, wrote a book as Piffle B. Waterloggin and I read it and loved it, I really wouldn't think more about it.

Piffle B. Waterloggin wrote a book that I enjoyed. Books I enjoy I keep around and read again. Piffle B. Waterloggin is a name that does not have any negative associations.

Let's say I find out that OSC is PBW. Yeah. I would be a little disappointed and then when looking at the book again, I would also find that the interest in keeping the book around for a second read would also diminish. It would go into the 'to be sold/given away' box.

It's not so much that I am vehemently opposed to their philophy/politics/body wash and wish to make a statement. But it is that their jerkass attitudes that put me off will put me off anything they write, due to their jerkass attitudes. I'm no longer interested in reading anything by them. They've gone out of their way to be nasty d-bags. I don't like that/agree with them and yes, it does color how I view them and their work.

They're entitled to behave and do and say anything they want. If they do so under their writing name, they should feel free to continue to do so.

I'll see the negative press attached to that name and it will unbalance things unfairly that I want nothing to do with them.

I'm only human.

Guess that makes me an idiot, too?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And on a similar note, what of the thousands of authors who don't make their beliefs publicly known, and who aren't vocal on hot-button issues? Their beliefs don't go away just because they don't blog openly about them.

It's impossible to let what you don't know, influence you.
However, if I do catch wind of it, then yes it will made a difference. For example: If I found out an author is a pedophile, I would not by any of their books.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
The fact that we know these authors's personal opinions at all is self-evident proof that they have in some way used their status as writers to communicate those beliefs to an audience. That alone is sufficient for me to refuse to monetarily support their lives. As writers, we had better not voice opinions in public fora unless we're willing to deal with the consequences. I am. That's why I post under my real name.

However, that doesn't mean I refuse to read tainted works. I can imagine myself checking such books out from the library. Haven't done so yet, though. And yeah, I know libraries buy the books. I know. I'm just not willing to buy them myself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Anyone who communicates their beliefs can be said to have used their status as a writer/butcher/baker/candlestickmaker to do so. Blogs and websites aren't limited to writers.

As for libraries? The authors still get money for having their books borrowed. PLR, after all.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Anyone who communicates their beliefs can be said to have used their status as a writer/butcher/baker/candlestickmaker to do so. Blogs and websites aren't limited to writers.

As for libraries? The authors still get money for having their books borrowed. PLR, after all.

[hides my candlestickmaking blog site]

Status
Not open for further replies.