• U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

Would This Be Considered a Memoir?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Quiggs1982

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryellenquigley.com
My mother passed away a little over two weeks ago. I would like to write a book honoring her life. My idea is to write a book about lessons my mother taught me. Not actual lessons, but as in looking back at how she lived her life and using that to explain what it taught me about living my own life.

Would this be considered a memoir? Or is it some other kind of book?

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss.

I think if you write the book from your point of view in first person-- for example, "I Remember Mama", then it'd be a memoir.

If you write it in third person, telling about her without putting you in the story, it'd be a biography.

khobar

Be constructive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpnixon.com
My mother passed away a little over two weeks ago. I would like to write a book honoring her life. My idea is to write a book about lessons my mother taught me. Not actual lessons, but as in looking back at how she lived her life and using that to explain what it taught me about living my own life.

Would this be considered a memoir? Or is it some other kind of book?

It could be, but does the genre really matter at this point? I think you have an excellent idea, and I'd recommend you start off with outlining or writing down the stories that stand out. Worry about the particulars later.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away