Words You've Learned from Reading and Writing

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Mephitic - foul smelling, noxious gas.
Caitiff - a cowardly or contemptible person.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Ululate - how or wail as an expression of strong emotion, typically grief

(Thank you GOT - “His brother sat back on his haunches and lifted his voice in a ululating​ howl, his song black with mourning” )

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
More from the archives of Mr. GRRM:

Trebuchet - A machine used in medieval siege warfare for hurling large stones or other missiles.
Inimical - tending to obstruct or harm
Querulous- complaining in a petulant or whining manner
Carrack - a large merchant ship of a kind operating in European waters in the 14th to 17th century
Pennon - a long triangular or swallow-tailed flag
Basilisk - a mythical reptile with a lethal gaze or breath, hatched by a serpent from a cock’s egg
Vair - fur, typically bluish-gray, obtained from a variety of squirrel, used in the 13th and 14th centuries as a trimming or lining for garments
Ricasso - The flattened unsharpened part of the blade of a sword or knife situated next to the hilt.
Caltrop - a spiked metal ball thrown on the ground to impede vehicles or cavalry horses

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
List 5 (updated)

conroi - group of five to ten knights who trained and fought together in the Middle Ages.
mesnie - medieval household.
destrier - a medieval knight's warhorse.
braies - medieval men's underwear.
osculatrix - A curve or surface that osculates another curve or surface
wayn - an archaeic term for wagon, alternative spelling for wain
murder - a collection of crows
privvy - toilet
miffed - upset or offended
numpty - incompetent or unwise
spawny - lucky
midden - slurry or septic tank
tosh - nonsense or rubbish
Mephitic - foul smelling, noxious gas.
Caitiff - a cowardly or contemptible person.
Trebuchet - A machine used in medieval siege warfare for hurling large stones or other missiles.
Inimical - tending to obstruct or harm
Querulous - complaining in a petulant or whining manner
Carrack - a large merchant ship of a kind operating in European waters in the 14th to 17th century
Pennon - a long triangular or swallow-tailed flag
Basilisk - a mythical reptile with a lethal gaze or breath, hatched by a serpent from a cock’s egg
Vair - fur, typically bluish-gray, obtained from a variety of squirrel, used in the 13th and 14th centuries as a trimming or lining for garments
Ricasso - The flattened unsharpened part of the blade of a sword or knife situated next to the hilt.
Caltrop - a spiked metal ball thrown on the ground to impede vehicles or cavalry horses
Ululate - how or wail as an expression of strong emotion, typically grief

Buzz Nichols

Registered
Reaction score
Squamous: Scaly

...anybody who has read a little of Lovecraft's stuff has come across this word.

I always found it an odd, stilted way to express its meaning, until I saw a jackfruit at a roadside stand in Thailand.
"Damn," I said, "that thing is squamous."

C.Harmon

Registered
Reaction score
Gallophobia, which is the fear of France. Or of French people. I'm determined to insert this word into one of my stories at least once in my life. :tongue

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
What happened to the K.I.S.S. method? Be careful using some of these two-dollar words, especially without adequate explanation of context, with really young readers.

C.Harmon

Registered
Reaction score
What happened to the K.I.S.S. method? Be careful using some of these two-dollar words, especially without adequate explanation of context, with really young readers.

You're right, but it's possible they learned these words while reading, and not while writing. :) But yes, using long or obscure words while writing can often backfire.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pleased to announce I knew trebuchet, because Young Science Girl built one, and her teacher was impressed enough to give her a one-pumpkin pass for a place that sells pumpkins until Halloween, then offers them cheap as ammunition for its full-size trebuchet, which is aimed to hit a junked car. (Our pumpkin missed!) It's great fun to go out there on a fall afternoon. There was talk of adding a catapult, but apparently a full-sized one would be capable of sending the pumpkin beyond the boundaries of their property, so they didn't.

Maryn, who has the model trebuchet tucked away

Jason

Registered
Reaction score

Tell that to GRRM - who's responsible for the lions share of words I've had to look up for my contributions to this thread! LOL

You're right, but it's possible they learned these words while reading, and not while writing. :) But yes, using long or obscure words while writing can often backfire.

Quite probable! LOL

Yeah, the goal is primarily to share words you've learned from reading, but did not want to exclude words people may have picked up or incorporated from their writing...

Oenophile - a wine lover

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pleased to announce I knew trebuchet, because Young Science Girl built one, and her teacher was impressed enough to give her a one-pumpkin pass for a place that sells pumpkins until Halloween, then offers them cheap as ammunition for its full-size trebuchet, which is aimed to hit a junked car. (Our pumpkin missed!) It's great fun to go out there on a fall afternoon. There was talk of adding a catapult, but apparently a full-sized one would be capable of sending the pumpkin beyond the boundaries of their property, so they didn't.

Maryn, who has the model trebuchet tucked away

I had a coworker once who built model trebuchets as a hobby. There'd be other subjects he'd talk about, but you'd have to put in at least an hour a day hearing about it and watch three Youtube videos he picked out for you. Rest assured, I know quite a bit on the subject, and now even find myself getting angry when they're mixed up with catapults.

It's amazing the kind of things work does to you.

Nazuna

Registered
Reaction score
In Japanese, tsundoku is the act of buying and stockpiling a lot of books that you never read.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
coffle - a line of animals or slaves fastened or driven along together (Arabic origin for 'caravan')

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Nonce[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - temporarily[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Ensorceled[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - enchant; fascinate[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Crenellations[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - The battlements of a castle or other building[/FONT][/FONT]

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Whenever, throughout my life, people have asked how I know words I know, where I learned so many words, how I have an extensive vocabulary -- I tell them it's from reading. Fuck if I'm going to purposefully simplify my vocabulary so people don't have to think.

Specific categories, like early reader, have limits, obviously, but beyond that... if it fits, it fits.

Zoey141

Registered
Reaction score
I recently started creating a list of new words that I learn on a day-to-day basis. I make flashcards of that list and later, use it to develop my vocabulary.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For years, I've kept a Words to Learn list, to which this thread has added. I write the word, its part of speech, and its definition. The list includes words I mix up (callus, callous) and words with subtle differences in meaning (coffin, casket).

When I finally know a word on that list without having to think, I move it to the end of the list, where there's a too-short section Words Learned. It's almost embarrassing how simple some of those are, and how wide their use, before I finally got 'em down.

Allow me to contribute from my list:

casket, n.
A burial box that is rectangular and does not narrow at the head or feet. First in use in the US as late as 1849. cf. coffin.

coffin, n.
A burial box that narrows for the head and feet, like the Halloween decorations do. In use long before casket.

Maryn, not quite too old to learn

Fugitive Energy

Registered
Reaction score
I beg to share,

Petrichor:

Petrichor is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. The word is constructed from Greek, petra, meaning "stone", + ichor, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Pronk - Verb. The gait of deer, antelope, etc where they move in a series of bounds. If you recall the scene from "Bambi" where the herd of males leap over him? They're pronking (it's also called stotting, but I like the sound of "pronking" better).

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Mabel? Pronk yourself over here--I've got coffee and gossip!"

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Internecine:

Destructive to both sides in a conflict.

Nice word! :cool:

*UPDATE*

Repartee:

Conversation/speech characterized by quick witty comments or replies.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Cupule - a cup-shaped structure in a plant or animal (i.e. acorns).

Automaton (this is one I learned as a kid, and mispronounced as "Auto MAY tawn) - a mechanical device that mimicks the movements of a human, basically a robot before robots were robots.