Woodworking Success

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Maryn is the woodworker at our house, and he's teaching one of our daughters. The first project to come from his basement workshop was hung--with difficulty and a little bloodying of the knuckles--an hour ago:

TTokyNQ.jpg

Maryn, one spicy lady

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
So your husband spiced up your life? ;) I'll see myself out.

Beautiful work!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He'll be pleased that anyone but me likes it. I got so tired of searching through four shoeboxes for the spice I need. Apparently sometimes I just bought a new one, which explains four cinnamons.

It's only got primer on it at this point. We don't have any paint, and it hardly seems like an essential to get paint for the spice rack.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
What a good-looking job! Nicely squared and shallow enough that you can't lose one jar behind the others!
As to primer, yeah, you may not need paint immediately, but you might want to do it sooner than later, especially if you cook a lot. It's so easy to say 'good enough for now' and let it go too long. Being right in the cooking area, you want to be careful that you don't start reaching for jars with cooking stuff on your hands. Get too much residue and paint won't stick, so it will all have to be sanded down and cleaned again before painting.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like my usual modus operandi. Long, long ago, I bought an unfinished rocking chair. I made its seat cushion pretty quick and it was comfortable and looked okay. By the time I tried to stain it, there was so much grime worked into the wood from the place hands gravitated to, it wouldn't take. In the end, I couldn't get it clean enough and had to paint it.

I wonder what became of that chair? I gave it to my roommate when I moved out.

Maryn, who's lost touch completely

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
What a great job - I love it. And speaking as one who is organizationally and spatially challenged I'm so jealous.

Anne_B

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
#SpiceCabinetEnvy My spice cabinet is a long shallow cardboard box with vintage baby food jars* ranked four across, freezer tape labels on the top and sides of the jars. This probably works only if you buy most of your spices in bulk** at the natural foods co-op. If the tape reinforcing the sides of the cardboard box ever give out, I'm in big trouble.

* vintage baby food jars = I started this process shortly after my children were born. My children now are 34 and going-on-32. Years, not months.
** in bulk = at most, a couple of tablespoonsful at a time

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would have sworn less if I'd labeled the tops of mine, but I was promised a spice cabinet, damn it!

Although I should definitely purchase in bulk, since sometimes I want so little. My marjoram is probably about my kids' ages, and they're working from home these days.

Now I want a cutting table, but he's waxing lyrical about a pair of shelves next to the tub and a bench at the foot of the bed. Priorities, man!