• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.
  • U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

Willing Beta Readers Volume IV

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first Willing Beta Readers thread started in 2006. It was replaced by Willing Beta Readers Volume II, which in turn was replaced by Willing Beta Readers Volume III in 2007.

Many embers who posted in the Volume II are no longer active on AW, or they can no longer act as beta readers.

I've started this new thread, Willing Beta Readers Volume IV.

Procedure To Volunteer To Beta Read

1. If you are interested in becoming a beta reader for someone on AW, please leave a reply in this thread with your genre preference and any other info you'd like members to know. See the template below for an idea of what to post.
  2. Please turn on PMs so members can contact you privately to ask if you would be willing to Beta for them.
  3. Should you become unavailable to beta in the future, please you return here and edit your post to reflect your status.

DO NOT POST in this thread asking for a beta reader. I will move any requests into their own threads. Or I might just delete it.

Feel free to peruse the previous thread for potential beta readers, just be aware that tht thread (especially the earlier pages) is not current.

Beta Reader Template
A typical post about your willingness to Beta includes:

• Availability:
  • Preferences:
  • What I write:
  • Beta Style:
  • Experience:
  • Timeline:

You can include more; but these are the basic points to provide.

Don't forget to return and edit your post or as a mod to help edit your post if your interests or availability change.

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open for swaps as of 10/18! Details for my project are available here!

Preferences: Prefer Sci-fi/Fantasy but open to most genres. Not the best choice for Romance (romantic subplots are fine) or Historical fiction.

What I write: Fantasy and Science Fiction. (Currently looking for betas for a Supernatural Mystery with horror elements.)

Beta Style: Line-by-line, stream of consciousness, to give writers an idea what a reader might be thinking while they read. Can adjust focus/topics of critique (as well as frequency of the line-by-line notes) to writer preferences.

Experience: I've critiqued several full books and countless chapters/segments.

Timeline: I finish most reads within a month, or less.

Last edited:

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: One book at a time, and I'm currently [unavailable].

Preferences: Memoir (Because that’s what I’m writing now), Sci Fi, Fantasy, Literary

What I write: See above. ; )

Beta Style: I’ll give you big-picture feedback as comments embedded in the text. If you want me to, I can focus on specific concerns you might have. I’m not a heavy LBLer, but I’ll note typos and other anomalies. I prefer working in Word over gdocs, but I’m flexible.

Experience: I’ve beta-read/swapped with a few different people, including one writer who incorporated much of my feedback in his published book. That was a murder mystery set in ancient Rome, and I've also worked with fantasy and memoir. I’m currently working as an editor doing some fairly deep, occasionally "developmental-style" edits for tech companies (coaching over multiple drafts), and long ago I was a staff magazine editor.

Timeline: I can probably complete a book in a month, but after I get a sense of what you have, I’ll give you a time estimate and stick to it.

Last edited:

doctor cat person

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open I'm full for now!

Preferences: Sci-fi/fantasy (I'm not that into hard sci-fi or urban fantasy, though), M/M or F/F romance, no YA or NA please. I prefer novels or novellas to short stories (and I know more about structuring long works than short ones).

What I write: Space opera with romantic subplots. Sometimes the characters are really gay. I have a trilogy and a novella self-pubbed on Amazon.

Beta Style: I'm not a details person, so I won't do a line-by-line thing, but I can give you general reaction, thoughts on story structure and character development, and feedback on concerns you may have. I'm up to leave comments on my immediate reaction to things (e.g. "Ha! Funny!" or "Huh? Wasn't this green before?"). And I can give you an overview as to my personal impression of it as a reader. I prefer working in Google Docs, but I can leave comments in Word, too.

Experience: My only experience is amateur. I have historically been a fanfic writer and have given beta feedback to fellow writers. I've also had a small (RL) friend group that shared work and gave feedback to each other.

Timeline: A lot depends on the word count and genre. I would expect no longer than a month, but if you have a doorstopper, it may take me longer.

Contact: PM me with book details, word count, and what feedback you need. I'll let you know if it's something I can help with.

Last edited:

Rilind Modigliani

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone (open to swapping also)

• Availability: Depends on the length. Have a few projects always on the march but can make time.

• Preferences: No bias, could read anything

• What I write: hmm... literature, magical realism, cognitive illusiorism

• Beta Style: I can get into the nitty gritty with a short text, longer ones, uncless previously discussed, I will give an eye over, watching for blind spots, continuation breaks, communicative effectivity, fundamentally, is your fiction saying what you want it to say; meta-reading

• Experience: Short stories, prose, poetry and a few novels until

• Timeline: Depends on the text. Short story maybe within the week, prose and poetry also, anything longer it might take me a bit of time.

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
  • Availability: Pretty much now and for the next week. I've just done two gorgeous reads, so I'm hungry for a third.
  • Preferences: Not Horror. I don't know a thing about SciFi or SFF but I have read some I love. I'm probably not great at YA and MG any more (though I'd happily read it, and I have been trade pubbed in MG.) I like literary, I like thrillers, I like general fiction and non-fic and memoir and pretty much anything else. Also, I've done quite a few beta-reads, here and offsite. No-one's shot me yet.
  • What I write: Psychological thrillers. Also readers group fiction.
  • Beta Style: I'm adorably sweet, I'm really opinionated and I tend to be Pretty Clear. I will fight you if I have to - but if you tell me that this is your first work, I'll adapt accordingly because I'm not here to break dreams. I take writing seriously - also reading. And beta-reading, especially.
  • Experience: Trade published; sub-ed on a very fun magazine; some film and TV; lots of educational and corp vids, and approx six thousand TV commercials for which I apologize, but seriously the money...
  • Timeline: SALE ENDS THURSDAY! No sorry - till October. I'm here till October.
  • I don't have a swap-need at the moment - but if I love your work, I'll call on you later.

Last edited:

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, fresh on the beta reader market. Here's hoping I can help someone with their work, and receive some help in return. (Definitely looking for swaps.)

Availability: Currently open to take on a project.

Preference: I absolutely adore the blending of science fiction and fantasy. Science Fantasy as it is known in laymen terms. Final Fantasy 13 RWBY and Destiny are some of the big influences on my work. Anything that involves regular travel between different worlds, timelines, and dimensions I'm all over. Perilous paracausal parallax.

What I Write: As stated above, my WIP is a science fantasy. The Pendragon Series of books is the driving literary force behind it's creation.

Beta Style: I'm a world building guy. I enjoy parsing the smaller details and facets that contribute to the overall picture. Not that I will dissect your work line-by-line, but rather scene-by-scene. Analytical honesty is my approach.

Experience: Not much outside of a few crits on this site. Though the experience has been enriching.

Timeline: Though new to beta reading, as a regular reader, I can certainly complete any arranged projects in about a month, maybe sooner.

Contact: Slap a reply right here in the thread or shoot me a PM. Alternatively, you can reach my email at: [email protected]

Akvranel

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open to take on one project. Currently full

Preference: Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I have a particular love for MG and am a bit more familiar there, but I'm fine with other age ranges.

I'm fine with an early draft. I'm fine with being the first person to ever see it. My only ask is that it's completed and gone through proof reading. If you send me something riddled with typos and grammar issues, I will send it back.

I don't want: Erotica (or anything with explicit sexual content), heavy romance, or anything that deals heavily with demons.

Experience: I've only beta read a few times. I've also only started reading again in the last year so I'm not the most familiar with genre troupes.

Beta Style: I like to give detailed, high-level comments on all aspects of the story: plot, character, world building, dialogue, prose, ect. Generally, the worse shape the story is, the more high level I'll be because there's no sense giving targeted feedback on something that needs a complete overhaul.

I LOVE having something specific to look for so please please please let me know if you want specified feedback for a particular item (if if there is a known issue you don't want feedback on).

I think it's very important that I be honest. I will tell you what I liked, I will tell you what I didn't like, but I will also tell you if I felt that your story, or certain aspects of your story, weren't really my thing. I try to be nice.

I will not do copy edits or line edits - I don't have that kind of time and it's not my talent. If I call out a specific line or paragraph, it will likely be to explain a high-level comment.

Timeline: I won't commit to anything earlier than a month. I read slow, and I'm busy.

Contact: Please PM me with 1) a brief synopsis to your story, 2) the length and 3) where the story is in the drafting phase. After that, I prefer email.

Last edited:

Mjfaraldo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to all,

• Availability: I’m available to read something now, and I’m more than willing to swap novels.

• Preferences: Fantasy and romance are my favorite. I’m not very much into horror. Spanish is my first language, so if you need to check if something makes sense in Spanish, I can help (don't trust google translate, it's awful)

• What I write: I write fantasy with a touch of romance. I also have a dystopian in the works.

• Beta Style: I’m very good at picking up continuity errors. And if a plot hole appears, I will spot it.

• Experience: I’ve done some beta reading to correct some Spanish in a novel. But other than that, I’m an avid reader that pays attention to details.

• Timeline: Depends on the length of the work. Also on life, I’m afraid. I am a fast reader usually.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
  • Availability: It all depends, doesn't it? Right now, I have time. Other times, I do not. PM me and I'm happy to let you know if I'm available.

• Preferences: I read almost everything, although read fewer mysteries, romances, and children's (MG and picture books), so probably should avoid those as I'm not super familiar with genre conventions.

• What I write: Mostly science fiction, with a smattering of fantasy. But I'm working on a historical fiction novel right now. Go figure.

• Beta Style: I tend to prefer looking at the overall story and noting where I think things could be improved on a macro level. (e.g. these two chapters drag and don't do much, cut them, this sub plot could be expanded on, etc.) I'll usually do a bit of copy editing and line editing, too, though.

• Experience: I've read waaay too many novels in beta form and offered (hopefully helpful) suggestions on them. I've also published a number of short stories in science fiction magazines (Penumbra, Every Day Fiction, Daily Science Fiction, others.) I've also been a member of AW and Critters for years. (Close to a decade?)

• Timeline: I'll usually aim to take a few weeks to read a novel, although it can be longer (or shorter).

• Contact: PM me here with word count, genre, a brief summary of the book, etc.

dptullos

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: It depends on work, but I usually have free time on weekends. I will be busy over Christmas, but other than that I am generally free. I will inform you if there will be delays.

Preferences: I am flexible about genre. I would prefer a writer who understands their goal, even if they don't quite know how to get there. I need to know what you're working towards.

Beta Style: I don't have that much experience as a beta reader, but I can manage either chapter by chapter or a completed work.

Experience: I have been a beta reader for two works before I came here.

Timeline: I am a quick reader, so it is unlikely to take me more than two weeks to read your work and provide a review.

Contact: PM me here with word count, genre, a summary of your work, and what you're trying to accomplish.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Once again open for swaps! Details for my project here.

Preferences:
Prefer Sci-fi/Fantasy but open to most genres. Not the best choice for Romance (romantic subplots are fine), Historical, or 'weird' fiction (Like Night Vale or The Hike).

What I write: Fantasy and Science Fiction. (Currently looking for betas for a Supernatural Mystery with horror elements.)

Beta Style: Line-by-line, stream of consciousness, to give writers an idea what a reader might be thinking while they read. Can adjust focus/topics of critique (as well as frequency of the line-by-line notes) to writer preferences.

Experience: I've critiqued several full books and countless chapters/segments.

Timeline: I finish most reads within a month, or less.

TBWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I'm new to the absolute writers site, and I hope this site will meet my needs. In the short term, I'm looking to Beta read (The first 50 pages) of your Thriller/Mystery Novel (No first drafts please). I'm young at heart with really old DNA. A former attorney, I retired early to pursue the craft of writing full time. I think this year, my fifth year, will be the year I'm discovered.

If you're looking to pitch your novel at Thrillerfest 2022 in New York, as I intend to do, I would love to offer my assistance.
  • Availability: Currently Available
  • Preferences: Thrillers/Mysteries only
  • What I write: Commercial Thrillers--Novels (2 unpublished) and Fantasy Short Stories (a few honorable mentions in writing competitions but no publications, yet.)
  • Beta Style: A focus on developmental edits, story elements, plot and subplots, character arcs, dialogue, voice, and pacing.
  • Experience: I have spent the last five years learning the craft of critiquing in an effort to improve my writing and I have written over 100 critiques on two popular websites: Critique Circle and Critters. I'm still active on the latter.
  • Timeline: Thirty day turnaround

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got the next couple of weeks free if anyone wants a beta-read of their first 3 chapters. I'm pretty thorough, and I'm honest but (mostly) kind with it. No swaps required.

Closed for the moment. Thanks for some great reading, you lot :)

Last edited:

DigitalScript

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.quiet.ly
  • Availability: Open.
  • Preferences: Science-fiction (especially space operas, cyberpunk, hard sci-fi, and horror), Fantasy, (also horror), Historical Fiction (renaissance, medieval, middle ages, and ancient history), and Cosmic Horror (big surprise there).
  • What I write: Science-fiction and Fantasy (though I used to dabble in Historical Fiction and Cosmic Horror).
  • Beta Style: Logic of actions/sequences, word usage, and descriptions are my big focuses, but I'll drop other comments here and there about anything.
  • Experience: Three years of undergraduate Creative Writing Workshops where we all beta read everyone's works, prose and poetry alike.
  • Timeline: Got to admit, I'm not a fast reader, but I'll probably have your work back within a month (depending on length).

Elizabeth George's book Write Away