Why does Amazon discount paperbacks sometimes without author's approval?

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
I have noticed Amazon discounted one of my paperbacks. I had originally set the price around the price they recommended, to make sure printing costs would be covered, so I wrote them to ask why. However, they didn't give me a reason. They just said: "Per our Terms and Conditions, we retain discretion to set the retail customer price for the books we sell. Our decision to discount products is based on a number of considerations, which vary over time. We suggest you set the list price for your book based on what you deem is a fair value for customers. However, the discount doesn’t affect royalties earned from orders placed on Amazon. Your royalties will continue to be calculated from the list price you provided on your KDP account."

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
They know more than you about price points that sell. They know more than anyone has ever known since Gutenberg about that, in fact. If they changed my price, I'd probably change it to match (assuming I was still getting a couple dollar royalty). It's like having the world's greatest book marketing expert ever give me info for free. I listen, I do what they do, and I'm grateful it was free advice.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I have noticed Amazon discounted one of my paperbacks. I had originally set the price around the price they recommended, to make sure printing costs would be covered, so I wrote them to ask why. However, they didn't give me a reason. They just said: "Per our Terms and Conditions, we retain discretion to set the retail customer price for the books we sell. Our decision to discount products is based on a number of considerations, which vary over time. We suggest you set the list price for your book based on what you deem is a fair value for customers. However, the discount doesn’t affect royalties earned from orders placed on Amazon. Your royalties will continue to be calculated from the list price you provided on your KDP account."

Yes, I noticed this too. I have a paperback priced at $10.99 and now Amazon has it listed at $5.05.

This book doesn't sell at all, so I'm not that worried...but it is confusing. At least it says we make the royalty based on the price we have it listed as.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Because you need Amazon more than they need you. If you leave, okay, there's still millions of other self-published authors. No skin off their teeth.

This is the company that forced their employees to work during a tornado and it got them killed. They don't care about what you want or how you feel about the price points, because what're you going to do about it?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Because you need Amazon more than they need you. If you leave, okay, there's still millions of other self-published authors. No skin off their teeth.

This is the company that forced their employees to work during a tornado and it got them killed. They don't care about what you want or how you feel about the price points, because what're you going to do about it?
So your perception of life in tornado alley is that during the 5 months that there are conditions ripe for tornadoes, two days out of every week, all other employers but Amazon send everyone home (despite that home is probably less well-built than businesses are and that putting them into a car could be a death sentence?) That schools just shut and give up their federal funding for being shuttered so many days? That all businesses shutter their doors two days per week while storms roll through? That's not what happens.

You hear the warnings, you move to shelters. There were shelters in that building and a policy and training. That's all an employer should or can do.

Your assumption is as illogical as thinking every business in California sends people home every day because there might be an earthquake that day. Or maybe you're confusing hurricanes (warning of a few days) with tornados? (which spin out of clouds in mere seconds and seldom stay on the ground as long as an hour.)

Sometimes, there are acts of God, and people die in natural disasters. Amazon may be powerful, but they aren't that powerful. They didn't create the weather, or target their own building (which cost them a lot of money to rebuild) or tell their employees not to use the shelters within the building.

In Tornado Alley, people come to feel casual about tornado warnings because they come so often. Sometimes, they don't go into the shelter. A number walk outside to try and get video of one or go about their jobs. Mostly, they continue to shop at the grocery store or watch the TV.

You want to yell at someone about tornado safety, try the Oklahoma state legislature, which does not require elementary schools have basements or tornado shelters. That's awful. Amazon was no more at fault than a Chevy dealership that was hit by a tornado, or the Joplin hospital hit some years ago. Where are the people screaming about how evil that hospital was for being hit? It would make as much sense.

I love Amazon. It gave me a writing career and makes it possible for me to find and buy rare items that no way could a local store stock. People who hate them shouldn't buy from them or let their books be sold there.

The OP is getting the royalty for the price she set. So Amazon is doing OP a favor, not hurting the writer, by trying to move more of those books.

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
Yes, I noticed this too. I have a paperback priced at $10.99 and now Amazon has it listed at $5.05.

This book doesn't sell at all, so I'm not that worried...but it is confusing. At least it says we make the royalty based on the price we have it listed as.
I agree, Mary! It is rather confusing. I had set the price of Book 2 in my Buchanan Mystery Romance Series to a lower price than Book 1 which was twice as long.

Reactions: MaryLennox

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com

I wonder though if they do care in some way, because they went to the trouble to discount my paperback to $4.10 from $8.99. I wish I knew why!

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
They know more than you about price points that sell. They know more than anyone has ever known since Gutenberg about that, in fact. If they changed my price, I'd probably change it to match (assuming I was still getting a couple dollar royalty). It's like having the world's greatest book marketing expert ever give me info for free. I listen, I do what they do, and I'm grateful it was free advice.
Only problem is that they aren't explaining why, so I can't learn from them doing this!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Only problem is that they aren't explaining why, so I can't learn from them doing this!
Odds are they're doing it for some larger, generic self-published ebook strategy, and they're not telling you because it doesn't have anything to do with you personally (nor is it anything you'll ever be able to leverage for your own marketing).

Amazon does everything for their own bottom line. Take advantage of what you can, but don't assume they're there to help you.

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
Odds are they're doing it for some larger, generic self-published ebook strategy, and they're not telling you because it doesn't have anything to do with you personally (nor is it anything you'll ever be able to leverage for your own marketing).

Amazon does everything for their own bottom line. Take advantage of what you can, but don't assume they're there to help you.
Thanks Liz. I think I will! I'll do a promotion about the paperback being discounted for a short time.

Reactions: Elenitsa

bunny hugger

Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Presumably, they have a lot of data to show where they can discount and make more money for them while still giving the author the same royalty.