• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Why Do You Write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidMcMurdo

Focussed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shininginthedarkness.com
It's a seemingly simple question, but one I find difficult to answer myself. I think we can safely rule out fame and fortune as a motive in the vast majority of cases. In my own case, I've got several other projects that bring me instant feedback, gratification, and for much less work. Yet I always write. I think it's quite simply my favourite way of expressing myself creatively. It allows a freedom that no other craft does, especially since I write within the genre of fantasy.
There was a time when I thought it was just a matter of ego. As they say, "everyone wants to be a writer, no-one wants to write", and I'm sure ego plays a part for everyone (after all, we all work on the assumption that people will care about what we create). But writing is something I find I really can't "escape". I used to go and get lost in other projects, but my characters and plots would always be there in my mind nagging at me until I finally said "damn, I've got to write these things".

The above sounds like I'm an unwilling writer, but that's not true. I do enjoy the process when it's going well, and I've yet to find a feeling to match that of sitting back and looking at a finished work. You know, in many ways I don't really care who likes my stories (although obviously I hope people do like them), I just enjoy the fact that I'm gradually building up a series of works. Something I can look back on and say, "yeah, I worked bloody hard, I got my ideas down on paper, and they're there now. I made them". I think that's my reason: the satisfaction of having achieved something that has such personal importance to me.

What about you?

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
It's got it all: addiction, depression, anxiety, stress, sex, tension, agression, more sex, conflict, resolution, even more sex, meeting people, deleting people... Christ, you need a good drink afterwards just to come down. Who wouldn't write?

M R Mortimer

SF Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.suspendedearth.com
toldyouso said it.

I didn't write for around fifteen years. In a disastrous event I lost 50 books - a number were full draft manuscripts some were sample chapters and copius notes, some were entries in planning books - years of creativity. Lost. In an instant. SO many were largely complete drafts.

I stopped writing. I maintained sanity, turning to other outlets - music, game design etc. But something was missing. For all those years. When I was fortunate enough to have the first manuscript returned to me, I recognised a sign from the universe, and I have not stopped writing since. And now, I am myself once again. Complete and whole.

This is why I write.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Because I like it.

But if you want something more insightful, try this: I've suffered from a chronic illness since I was 19, and mental health issues for a while before that. So when my world gets a little too dark and depressing, there's always the freedom to escape somewhere else for a while. And, you know, inflict pain on fictional characters for a change ;)

Reaction score
Safely rule out fame and fortune? Why?

Those are the only reasons I'm in this game.

Natalie23

Registered
Reaction score
Because i do ... because if i dont whats to be left to say i tried. I pondered this once a while ago and i concluded this; Writing is a love, some of the greatest pieces harbour the hearts of their creators. If i remember this i'll always write well.

What inspires me is this little well known gem:
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
To hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eterinity in a hour.

It says everything.

Nat

Last edited:

DavidMcMurdo

Focussed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shininginthedarkness.com

I've only been on this forum for a few days, but somehow I knew that if anyone was going to respond and take issue with this, it would be you :p

I just meant that generally when people think of ways to achieve fame and fortune, slogging over writing for years and years usually isn't top of the list. It's also very hard to achieve as an author.

Natalie23

Registered
Reaction score
Can i jump on this fame and fortune wagon because i seriously need a direction!

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Because I love to do it, want to make a living doing it, and want to prove to my children that dreams do come true.

_Richard

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score

Hah. Ditto. No, really. The prospect of fame and fortune is what keeps me writing at five in the morning, when I feel like I'm going to barf up my coffee.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I write to get girls.

um, no. um.

Money. Fame. Fortune. And hookers.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I write because I'm hoping it will free me from my dependence on being an employee. I hate hate hate hate hate hate having to do a job to make ends meet. "Job" should be the 4-letter word, not 'work'. I'm ok with work, really, just - did I mention I hate having to do a job?

Oh - If you want to tell me 'If it's money you want, there are better ways of making it than writing' make sure you tell me at least one of those ways and how much I can make from it. It would need to be legal.

DavidMcMurdo

Focussed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shininginthedarkness.com
I write because I'm hoping it will free me from my dependence on being an employee. I hate hate hate hate hate hate having to do a job to make ends meet. "Job" should be the 4-letter word, not 'work'. I'm ok with work, really, just - did I mention I hate having to do a job?

Oh - If you want to tell me 'If it's money you want, there are better ways of making it than writing' make sure you tell me at least one of those ways and how much I can make from it. It would need to be legal.

I count just your average job as one of the easier ways of making money. I find my office job infinitely more easy and less stressful than writing, and I'm guaranteed a good pay day at the end of each month. But I don't have your animosity towards having a job to make ends meet, so different perspectives.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Because I have always done it, ever since I was young. Though only recently realised that I might be good enough with practise to actually get published. Also, in my entire career (as a scientist, a teacher and even the various crappy jobs I did at university) writing has been the one skill that I possess which has been universal to all of them. I know that while my MPhil results were hardly world shatteringly relevent to the modern world due to being largely negative (and yes, I know, you morally have to publish the negatives as much as the positives to keep the process honest but negative results rarely seem to get you kudos) I am confident that said results were well written and presented.

As for fame, money and women... frankly, I got all of them anyway simply because of my staggeringly handsome good looks and modest ego. Well, not the fame or money but I did get the most beautiful woman in the world to be my wife and that has to be an achievement and all done without writing :)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I write in hopes of earning enough to purchase my own little country where I’ll create a new matriarchal society where men become second class citizens.

They will have to stay at home and clean and cook and deal with generations of unequal oppression along with the social media pressures of body image concerns. They’ll have to invent diets, make-up, and routines to make themselves attractive. Where it’s the baby girl that’s so badly wanted in the family unit and the unwanted boys disappear into seedy streets, brothels, strip joints, and sex slavery where they become only objects, viewed as nothing less than a momentary stress reduction tool. They’ll have to live out their lives to the unwritten manifest of a multitude of performance anxieties, fearing the day when they are no longer viable and replaced by a younger model...

Oh yes.
That's why I write.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty much why I write too.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I write because I enjoy it. Because it's like sculpting and painting and giving birth all rolled into one. Because I can give voice to all the stories and characters in my head. Because I'm good at it, and it gives me a sense of accomplishment that little else does. Because even when my physical disabilities prevent me from doing anything else, I can still sit at the laptop and write. Because it's in my soul and I have to write or else die.

Status
Not open for further replies.