Who should write crits.

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how to crit at all, really. I try to say clearly what works for me and what doesn't and I try to verbalize why, and though I make a point of acknowledging how subjective it is I still feel I am not really being helpful and sometimes maybe even piss people off. Thing is, I want the reciprocal comments so I have to keep slapping together these dry ham sandwiches.

Not so! You've expressed reasons, whys and whats in critique and comment on many poems. There's no Kelly Blue book on poems and I've always found great value & detail in your views. I suppose there might be some rules about it all, somewhere, but there's nothing like a visceral reaction experienced, expressed & conveyed in real time plus edits. So carry on!!

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
a crit should be a reaction with some degree of justification.

everything else is optional, like a cup holder or a racing stripe.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you didn't say ketchup. Ketchup is not optional.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They are optional.

Ubiquitous but optional.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
i rarely critique. but when i do, i demand the revision be made. i follow up. and if my changes are not incorporated in a reasonable amount of time (as determined by me, the most reasonable man alive), i start with the phone calls.

at first, i offer installment plans, where edits can be made in chunks that are convenient for the poet on a monthly basis.

if they refuse my plan or, if accepted, they fail to live up to the terms, then the threatening phone calls begin.

should those fail, the legal action commences: garnishment of vocabulary, ruin of reputation by reporting your failure to live up to your obligations to other critics and, finally, by having you stripped of all your poetry and forced to start over.

this, of course, is then reported to potential editors, who will refuse your work so as not to have their publications sullied by your abuse of the critique system.

finally, without any work to claim as your own and without anyone willing to give you work, you are reduced to a yammering and delusional ghost of a human being roaming the streets and shitting in alleyways.

these are stern consequences, no doubt. but they are consequences that you should have considered before you applied for critique.

I've got two poems in the works right now.
One of them is called Ode to Smoke

the other isn't titled yet. harvest something-or-other (I seem to be leaning towards calling it Harvesting Souls, but I keep telling myself that's a whole other thing).

Anyway, I'd like to just sign up for this crit plan in advance.

I just have one question:

Am I signing the agreement in ink or blood?
See, at the moment they are hard to tell apart. I don't want to do this wrong.

eta: I just realized where I was getting Harvesting Souls. It's not supposed to be a title. It's supposed to go on my to-do list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.