Where to submit a non fiction essay?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

SyPhMo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 7000 word (pretty long, I know) essay that explains why the wild predictions for the future (flying cars, etc) made in the 50s/60s never came to be, and then addresses the risks of Artificial Intelligence and argues that we should be worried after all.

I've seen similar style (and length) articles at Aeon.co, and am just wondering what other places I could submit to.

Help appreciated!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Hi SyPhMo and welcome to AW. I would pull up Freelancewriting.com and maybe Duotrope, find a science magazine that takes freelance submissions, trim your article to something much closer to their preferred length, and pitch. Aeon's guidelines are here: https://aeon.co/pitch-us. (They ask for experience or significant research in the field. And they give great guidelines on pitching at the bottom. The only word count they quote is 'over 2000.' Maybe shoot to trim it to 3500 to start.)

But keep in mind that this may end up as an exercise in how to write freelance. The main thing is to know your target market and develop articles to their needs, not the other way around. Who do you want to write for? If it's a science or tech magazine, then read science and tech magazines every month. You'll develop a feeling for what they like and what length they publish. You won't need to ask anyone who to send it to. You will know. You'll develop a favorite.

Then research an idea, develop an outline and pitch letter, write a bare-bones version of the article which can be written out to different lengths, and pitch the editors. Most magazines I work with prefer articles in the 750, 1200, or 2500-word range. A first-time writer most likely will be assigned a 750-word article if they catch an editor's attention with a great topic, well-researched.

When you develop a CV, you'll be able to do even less prep before pitching. Keep in mind that they don't know you yet. Nothing will impress them more than preparation and flexibility. All the best,

Lucie

Last edited:

Scriptissima

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe consider formatting it as a short e-book for Kindle Digital Publishing and go the self-publishing route? Depending on what your goal is, that might be a viable option.

mlovmo

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps see about the submission guidelines for online or print publications that might be good hosts of your essay.

You could also just self-publish at your own site and link via social media.

MichaelAnthony

Registered
Reaction score
Check out Duotrope. Sounds like they're the site you're looking for: https://duotrope.com/

they find the perfect place for you to submit. Costs a little bit of money, but I've heard good things.

Last edited: