• We’re running on a new server at a new host with a new forum software called XenForo. Some things are different. Some things may not work as expected. I am working on it as fast as I can. Please be patient. Please read this post.
  • I'm going to be working on the forums for a while. Things may be wonky. I may turn the forums off without notice. Consider this a bit of a public beta test as we figure out the new software and make adjustments. But you've been much missed, and we can't wait to see you again!

Where to find an editor with lots of experience? (nonfiction self-help)

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

bennylava

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I wanted to stop by and ask how I can find the editor I'm looking for. I know I can find a developmental editor for the self help genre, but I'm looking for the right one for me. I am looking for someone who has a ton of experience editing self help books. I'm imagining this person to be in their mid 40's, and american. Since that's the culture I'm from and I believe that person will best understand me.

So where do all the editors hang out? Where do I go asking around for the editor that meets my criteria? I'm not really looking for a newbie fresh out of college, or even someone who's been at it for a few years but who has only edited the amount of books that will fit into that timespan. I'm looking for someone who has loads of experience. I need this thing to be a home run.

Thanks!

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.digitalmedievalist.com
If you are planning to trade publish, do not hire an editor unless you are not a native speaker/writer of English, or have some other special circumstances.

Your publisher will provide an editor at no charge to you, and you might actually create problems by using an editor.

If you are going to self-publish, you might look at this FAQ about publishing services.