Where are you? (in your novel)

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
Sitting at 117k out of an estimated 125k novel, should be done by Wednesday. I'm about to launch into the end of a main character's side quest and then the final battle.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
DEADco SAC Aphrodite Deadman and SA Billy Estrella should finish up the serial killer briefing soon and discuss how they are going to trap the killer, not realizing that man proposes, but God disposes. My published historical was a Christian thriller. This crime novel isn’t, but given I am a born-again Christian, God will always be a part of my books. In this one, the carboard Allen Patriarch is a famous TV evangelist who is a hypocrite. Ditto his son. His daughter, Carolina, is the real deal but she is astray. Billy is an atheist. I’m waffling about whether this is going to change. I’m still waffling about Carolina’s fate. I’m still waffling about the fate of her and Billy’s platonic relationship. And, friends and neighbors, I’m about maybe I hope three or four chapters away from THE END of the second draft. The second draft should tie up the cause and effect events, leaving draft three free for polishing, and there’s going to be a whole lotta trimming going on in the briefing scenes.

mschenk2016

Registered
Reaction score
I finished back in November, sent it out to beta readers (had only one guy give me feedback), spent a couple months editing and then started querying in February. After my first batch (mostly) got back to me, I posted my first chapter on another message board to get some more feedback. Then I spent the last couple months doing a little more editing. Now I'm back to querying, but I still wouldn't mind a few more beta readers to read the WHOLE book.

Reactions: writing17

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm right in the middle of the novel, my least favorite place. Too far along to stop, nowhere near close enough to the end. The idea for the next novel won't leave me alone, so I'm trying to keep it off my back by brainstorming and jotting down notes when I should be focused on the saggy, sloppy middle of the novel I'm currently writing.

Reactions: writing17

writing17

Registered
Reaction score
Currently in the middle of the novel too. It's still far away from perfect in terms of grammar wise but at least I've got ideas to jot down for the premise and outline for each chapter. I'm excited about how it would end, the storyline keeps running around in my head :)

Reactions: dolores haze

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Emberly and her sisters are picking out a movie to watch.

quen_beantrix

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I decide to not pull my hair out and trust my instinct.
I FEEL THIS.

I'm at the point where I scrapped basically everything I had written in order to go literally in another direction on the map. (well I saved it in another document, but I *did* do the ceremonial select+delete in the working document) With this comes the renewed sense of work, but also like, what had I been doing this past month or however long???

• Hug
Reactions: kinokonoronin

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
Finished today. Came out at 129k and tomorrow, I go into editing mode for the book I wrote prior. I'll be starting the next book on August 2.

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
One novel I'm editing to be self-published after many passes from agents. Women's Fiction.
&
One novel I'm querying. Domestic Thriller.

Keilah

Registered
Reaction score
Working on the final chapter of my story's third act. I still have almost the entire second act to write and I'm already over 151,000 words into it.

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
At the moment, Agatha is stepping through the mirror known as The Conduit in order to escape the storm of The Razor Winds that is currently laying waste to Malkuth.

She's on her way to Yesod as we speak.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Back to the beginning. After struggling with a critical stuck scene for way too long, I realized that there was in fact no credible way to unstick it -- there was no reason for my MC to willingly get involved in the remaining events of the story she was supposed to be leading. And in fact there was no real reason for her to be involved in the story at all. It's not her story. She's not really the MC. So I've scrapped the whole draft, reworked the outline to excise her (surprisingly easy to do, which means I was very late getting a clue she didn't belong), re-allocated some of the structural roles, gender-swapped a couple of other characters, and discovered this also solves a few other issues in the story the back of my brain had been wrestling with. So now it's back to Chapter 1, Scene 1, and hopefully a much better start to a novel that's been way too long in the making.

holmes

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gearing up to query one, starting another, and halfway though the draft of a third. Don't really feel like I'm making progress in any, though.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I finished the first draft of Much Ado About Dying (book 2 in an urban fantasy trilogy) and now I've just started the first full read-through edit. This is a slow process, refining the words, the subplots, intensifying scenes, adding details I skimmed past before, cutting excess, etc. The book was 91000 words and it's already increased to 94000 words (I added a few scenes when I analyzed the plot structure).

JJNotAbrams

Registered
Reaction score
Currently about 23k words into my first draft of a planned 80k word post-apocalypse novel. The protagonist had just fought off a bunch of mutant bats and he is slowly losing his mind.

TheMightyAz

Registered
Reaction score
Fiddlesticks and Yarrod are peeping through a canvas doorway at a Timestalker.

Kirkhammer

Registered
Reaction score
I finished the first draft a week ago, but the last entry I wrote was the main character getting punted off of a cliff.

• Haha
Reactions: kinokonoronin

JJNotAbrams

Registered
Reaction score
Currently, I'm in the first revision. While it still starts out in the Mojave Desert, a lot of the characterization's changed.

BRG2003

Registered
Reaction score
After a revision to the first chapter, I've cut a lot. Now it starts with two of my protagonists, Mau and Harne, burying a body. Fun!

DorianFrost

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on my first round of revisions for my contemporary fantasy. I am a chronic under-writer, so this is going to a require a lot of work as I fill in the chasms I left in the first draft.

JJNotAbrams

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently on the first revision to my story. It went a whole different directions to what I was expecting. Though the general story structure is still generally the same, it still comes out as a very different story and I don't know if that's better or not.