• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
At this point, I've completely cast my February goals into the wind for the sake of studying the craft more.*

I've placed a new scene at the front of my first chapter, then reworded it, tore it apart, and pieced it back together, and now it's a total mess. Theoretically, I understand what this chapter should be, but I have no idea how to make it so. It's overwhelming, but I'm confident this is only temporary, and with practice I will get there. Honestly, I am enjoying the process.

*I'm studying Stein On Writing by Sol Stein, The Emotional Craft of Fiction by Donald Maass, and The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman, trying to implement what I learn to said chapter.
Great choices. If you want to add one more short-but-good one, try Steering the Craft by Ursula LeGuin. I’m all in favor of setting aside time-bound goals to go learn something. It’s true that one can’t get better at writing without writing more, but it’s also true that making the same mistakes over and over again in the name of just producing more stuff won’t help anyone improve. The craft books you’re working with now made me want to dive into my manuscript and start improving things—they inspired rework that made the work better, as well as informing the choices I made in drafting new material. I’m excited for you and what you will do as you work through these texts and beyond!

:e2coffee:

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of my plot point: the archangel Gabriel mass-producing and mass-distributing the cure to cancer and dementia and other stuff to Earth, all for free (it's a long story).

Then I wondered how many people in-universe would be raving against taking the cure for fear of mind-control nanites. In the same vein of folks fearing the 5G and vaccine. And then I got kinda sad and wondered if it was worth the headache for my characters in-universe.

Steven_E_Moir

Registered
Reaction score
Website
stevenemoir.wordpress.com
I was thinking of my plot point: the archangel Gabriel mass-producing and mass-distributing the cure to cancer and dementia and other stuff to Earth, all for free (it's a long story).

Then I wondered how many people in-universe would be raving against taking the cure for fear of mind-control nanites. In the same vein of folks fearing the 5G and vaccine. And then I got kinda sad and wondered if it was worth the headache for my characters in-universe.
It felt so strange seeing this post. I have an archangel Gabriel in my book as well. (Except in mine, he's paranoid schizophrenic, but that's also a long story). One doesn't see the words archangel Gabriel often on the internet or anywhere else. I wondered briefly if I wrote this. Anyway, if your Gabriel could send me some of that dementia stuff I'd appreciate it.

StarsForScales

Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I'm thinking I might have to adjust my standards and take this comp-search from the top again. It's possible I've been holding out for too precise a match. Maybe if I try to separate out the different vital factors and look for one comp that's closer for prose and another that's closer for plot...

Reactions: reaping-raddish

U2Girl1966

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimhayes.substack.com
I've got about 20ish short stories and flash fiction that I've submitted all over the place over the past 7 months. I've had four pieces accepted for publication, so yay for that.
But there's three short stories that I've submitted to about 20 places each and I'm now at the half way point of rejections for them. I admit I'm getting a tad discouraged. I've started re reading them and tweaking here and there as I think they(might?) need. I guess I just thought said stories would have found a home by now.

SariBelleW

Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I'm thinking I might have to adjust my standards and take this comp-search from the top again. It's possible I've been holding out for too precise a match. Maybe if I try to separate out the different vital factors and look for one comp that's closer for prose and another that's closer for plot...
Not sure if you saw a thread I posted maybe a week ago, On finding comps. I've always been really uncertain about how to know what a good comp is and there have been some really helpful responses in that thread.

Nether

is leaving the theme park for a circus
Registered
Reaction score
Although I didn't have many warm-fuzzies when it came to CCC, kinda liking it a lot more after the quick-read and 2/3s of this round of mark-ups. The prose isn't as good as many of my other manuscripts, and getting to that level might involve substantially line-editing half the book, but it still reads okay (although the pronoun is higher) and the twists, etc, seem good.

The one maybe-hiccup is the finale, although it kinda has to play out a certain way if I want to have something. And then there are a few things I want to tweak and a later scene needs a partial rewrite (which will also remove a conversation with the antagonist)

I mean, if a hitherto unknown entity started offering stuff, wouldn't you be suspicious? Or have you never watched the Twilight Zone where those seemingly-benign entities turned out to have a sinister agenda? Or not looked at world history which includes things like people being traded smallpox-infected blankets?

It felt so strange seeing this post. I have an archangel Gabriel in my book as well. (Except in mine, he's paranoid schizophrenic, but that's also a long story). One doesn't see the words archangel Gabriel often on the internet or anywhere else. I wondered briefly if I wrote this. Anyway, if your Gabriel could send me some of that dementia stuff I'd appreciate it.

I feel like Supernatural gave a massive resurgence to the Archangel Gabriel, where before he was always the most-likely forgotten of the archangels. I see him referenced often enough.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting because Gabriel was the only one I actually knew. lol.

I got my timeline straightened out, confirmed that the main plot is present even when the antagonist isn't on screen. Unfortunately I'm in kind of a corner where I have to cram a lot of stuff into a short space and I'm worried about that.

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, if a hitherto unknown entity started offering stuff, wouldn't you be suspicious? Or have you never watched the Twilight Zone where those seemingly-benign entities turned out to have a sinister agenda? Or not looked at world history which includes things like people being traded smallpox-infected blankets?

Fair. So I was wondering if Gabriel, predicting all these kinds of responses and hostile agendas, decides she's not going to distribute them after all. But then again, the events of the last arc has the whole 'do good even if it is not appreciated, reciprocated or accepted' moral.

I wonder if there are going to be situations where the doctors save some kid with cancer, damn the potential agenda, but the parents murder the kid on the grounds of fearing their kid is 'infected.' What a beautifully hostile and cruel world we live in.

What a headache. As a writer I'm still very 50/50 on whether I want to let my characters do what they want by saving the world in that case.

reaping-raddish

Registered
Reaction score
What a headache. As a writer I'm still very 50/50 on whether I want to let my characters do what they want by saving the world in that case.
I like the sound of your story because it sounds like some good fiction thriller discussing the reality of life.

Currently I am curating the setting and main characters in my new WIP by getting their introductions fleshed out. I am practicing “show don’t tell” and some other writing skills I want to hone.

MountainLark

Seeking a song, finding a voice
Registered
Reaction score
Currently I am curating the setting and main characters in my new WIP by getting their introductions fleshed out.

Sounds like a good idea. I should do this for my next thing, whatever it turns out to be.

I am practicing “show don’t tell” and some other writing skills I want to hone.
Excellent!

As for me: I'm still ill and stuck at home, so I've had a little more time on my hands than usual to consider writing (and my writing in particular.)

So many of my friends are into epic fantasy, and have been asking me to try out the genre. The thing is, I did attempt a fantasy novel ages ago -- but I went down the linguistics rabbithole so far that I hit bedrock and the thing never saw the light of day.

For now, I'll just keep working on short stories and the odd poem online while patiently waiting for face-to-face feedback on my novel (will be meeting with at least two of the readers on Tuesday).

It's soooo hard, this waiting. No one tells you this.

ML

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
I like the sound of your story because it sounds like some good fiction thriller discussing the reality of life.

Yep. This arc is special in that strength alone is not enough to deal with the chaos of a paradigm shift.

And part of this plot point's conundrum has to with my own cynicism as well. I know that people would reject whatever panacea a strange new entity/nation gives them for myriad reasons.

1) it could be laced with poison like @Nether said with the historical smallpox blankets example. people would mass-reject this offer (this is the biggest point made against doing it)
2) the uber-rich of our world would despise them for not monetizing it/not selling the formula to them so they can make even more money.
3) people think it robs us as a species of our 'drive' to search for the cure ourselves (Lex Luthor's superficial Anti-Superman argument that he "stymies our progress by making us complacent.")
4) people would misuse and weaponize it; imagine if someone fine is injected with a modified sample, and it causes their bodies to misidentify cells as cancerous and destroy themselves from within.
5) the last one: as a species, do we even deserve such goodness handed out to us?

Of course, the Christ-like thing to do (as I understand) would be to give the cure out anyway. But as a writer and person, I cannot see anything but downsides to it (aside from the obvious upside of, yknow, curing the incurable). All it does is add chaos to a world already made chaotic since the start of this 'first contact' story arc between Heaven and Earth.

Last edited:

capricornair

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a weird and new place.

Started writing consistently two years ago, recently finished the whole editing/revise/beta/research agents/query process (lots of subpoints in that). Sent out my first batch of 10 queries - got a full and a partial request - and now it's the waiting game. Everything I've read says "start your next manuscript" in this pocket of time, so I'm embarking on that, while my head and my heart are still strapped onto the queried manuscript. Learning how to balance and juggle two things at once. Staying hopeful. Trying not to check my email all the time. Focusing on the next project. Celebrating the small stuff. Staying pragmatic and cautious, too. One thing AbsoluteWrite has taught me is how rough each step of getting a story into the world is - and the relentless research required for each stage.

StarsForScales

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if you saw a thread I posted maybe a week ago, On finding comps. I've always been really uncertain about how to know what a good comp is and there have been some really helpful responses in that thread.

I just took a look at that! Honestly, I feel silly for not having thought to check the 'Readers Also Liked...' section on a few too-old-but-otherwise-fitting comps. Having done so now, I have some promising options to check out, so thank you!

reaping-raddish

Registered
Reaction score
So many of my friends are into epic fantasy, and have been asking me to try out the genre. The thing is, I did attempt a fantasy novel ages ago -- but I went down the linguistics rabbithole so far that I hit bedrock and the thing never saw the light of day.

It's soooo hard, this waiting. No one tells you this.
I feel like fantasy is hard to write and execute well without having glaring influence from distinct authors, but then again that is probably the same for sci-fi and everything else. I think a lot of prep work goes into the epics/operas. I enjoy both though.

The hurry up and wait game, always fun hah.

Yep. This arc is special in that strength alone is not enough to deal with the chaos of a paradigm shift.

Of course, the Christ-like thing to do (as I understand) would be to give the cure out anyway.
Seems like you have really thought this through. Some of my recent writings have created internal debates/evaluations of my belief/outlook. I think writing like this really helps us not just as authors but our whole being.
Could be giving the cure, not with a catch, but with a message that the cure only heals the physical ailment, not the mental/spiritual that truly ails humanity's greed/selfishness. (I hope this isn't against rules or deviating into unwanted commenting, it's just a thought).

#

I only have three chapters, but my story seems to be unraveling before I really get into it. I will do more brainstorming while fleshing out the characters and the setting on a space ship. It is a passenger ship between two planets that forbids personal tech due to it's theme of meditation, self-reflection and human interaction but of course something unsavory is going to happen.

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Kinda contemplating whether some of my attempted continuity explanation edits, etc, are just making things worse, since I keep realizing I explain certain things later (a maybe-mistake I keep making despite doing a quick-read before starting mark-ups).

However, I do need to work in an explanation for something else, which I might've had in my head when drafting but was confused about for a second when doing the quick-read.

I'm in a weird and new place.

Started writing consistently two years ago, recently finished the whole editing/revise/beta/research agents/query process (lots of subpoints in that). Sent out my first batch of 10 queries - got a full and a partial request - and now it's the waiting game. Everything I've read says "start your next manuscript" in this pocket of time, so I'm embarking on that, while my head and my heart are still strapped onto the queried manuscript. Learning how to balance and juggle two things at once. Staying hopeful. Trying not to check my email all the time. Focusing on the next project. Celebrating the small stuff. Staying pragmatic and cautious, too. One thing AbsoluteWrite has taught me is how rough each step of getting a story into the world is - and the relentless research required for each stage.

Well, good luck. And yeah, you should always be working on something.

Reactions: JoeySL

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like you have really thought this through. Some of my recent writings have created internal debates/evaluations of my belief/outlook. I think writing like this really helps us not just as authors but our whole being.

True. In the end, I'll decide with: the protags of Heaven are beyond human concepts of cynical judgment (and are in the right for it). Even if shunned for it, do good anyway. The problem is Hell, which has mass-manipulated media and world events for a century to make everyone disbelieve in the existence of good altogether. In this day and age, who's stupid enough to believe anybody does such things out of the goodness of their hearts?

reaping-raddish

Registered
Reaction score
True. In the end, I'll decide with: the protags of Heaven are beyond human concepts of cynical judgment (and are in the right for it). Even if shunned for it, do good anyway. The problem is Hell, which has mass-manipulated media and world events for a century to make everyone disbelieve in the existence of good altogether. In this day and age, who's stupid enough to believe anybody does such things out of the goodness of their hearts?
Someone once told me, not sure I entirely believe it but funny nevertheless, "if someone tells you 'hi, I am from (organization) and am here to help,' hold on to your wallet and run." But I do get more strange looks, even from the elderly, if I offer help to strangers, e.g. too many bags of groceries, or someone drops their umbrella. Feels like a book that people can relate to.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Ashigara and Nether

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Laptop reset due to the battery running out -- because 50% power apparently means 0% power again -- and, because it always does a fluky thing with word, the primer for a fantasy project came up (every. single. time.) but, on top of that, MMM! opened again, too, and I read the opening chapter yet another time... which kinda almost maybe makes me want to edit that next, possibly even putting off Manse, although the other day when I was rewriting part of CCC, I realized how much I missed drafting new projects and therefore wanted to start drafting Manse -- or, in simpler terms, I'm not entirely sure what I want to do one day to the next.

And yes, that was all one sentence.

So, idk, decisions. I kinda have and haven't outlined Manse (in that I have a bunch of the main events, etc, down, but still need some bridging stuff and additional characters (if only for red herrings)), which may or may not pose some challenges.

Assuming I finish editing CCC in Feb (likely), there's a chance I could do all of MMM!'s edits in March (possible), which would push Manse out to April, but I also worry about pushing it out that far, even if *in theory* editing might be more productive right now (although MMM! is on the shorter side -- 64k, meaning I might need to bulk it up a bit, even for YA)

But I also need to redo a query for LP, maybe come up with a better synopsis for LP, craft a query & synopsis for CCC, and re-do some other queries. And somewhere along the way I should probably get feedback on both LP and CCC themselves.

Feels like there's always more to do.