• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsofimagination.blogspot.com
What is it specifically that's causing you doubt? Could you sit down for a fifteen minute brainstorm session where the point is just to lay out what you think might be wrong, and what the solution might be? Sometimes that's all it takes to clarify things and get you back on track.
Well, I have brainstormed it several times and I can't pick which one I like most. I thought I'd like to write a short story about the subject, but the more I think the more I wonder if it might be novel-worthy. It's all a question of which form would be the right one, you know? Arthur C Clarke once wrote that The Sentential is very different from the novel 2001 but it's often called an "expanded" version. My story is about a time-traveler going back to the past, learning something that shakes his worldview, and reporting it in the present only to find that his superiors want to suppress what he's found because they fear the truth. This means that my character is a highly sophisticated human. Is a short story enough to demonstrate how much of an impact such an experience would have on his life? I thought so, but some of my favorite novels explore their ideas much more deeply.

I don't even know if I'm making sense...I might just be tired.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Actually cried while writing a depressing key ending scene to my book. I need some cookies and a funny show or something now.

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
Actually cried while writing a depressing key ending scene to my book. I need some cookies and a funny show or something now.

I get all the feels when writing/editing my short stories/books. Elation, sadness, and more. My current WIP I'm editing is based on 50% facts, so it brings up the emotions I lived, and takes me back - good and bad. My thriller, imagination-inspired, makes me sad too. As writers, or at least myself, spend so much time creating/writing these characters I can see them clearly. So when one of them meets their demise, it's really sad.

Reactions: A.P.M.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh that’s happened to me too! I don’t like it especially when you know the story has to be that way.

I finally got back on track with my short story. I failed to consider how life stress was cramping my muscle. A cousin died. Plans with my folks fell through. Had to get a lot of other things done around the house but now I think I can at least finish this draft.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a pantser, but as far as I know at this minute, I'm on the last scene of the last chapter of the next to last part.

doctor cat person

Registered
Reaction score
I've recently been thinking about how restricted POV can create tension and how to release the tension. I have a novel in progress where Character B is Going Through Shit, but the story is told (thus far) from Char A's POV. Char B is secretive so the tension comes from Char A picking up signs that all's not well and trying to figure out how to help him.

The moment where Char A (and the reader) gets filled in on what's been going on with Char B feels like a big deal, and I've been wrestling with how to make that moment work.

TheMightyAz

Registered
Reaction score
Will it ever be good enough to satisfy me or will I always loath myself just before I finish a story?

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
The biggest thing on my mind is I need to write even faster (and I really need to build a network to support revisions on that work), and I'm a little concerned that my words-per-hour haven't really picked up. I've been staying mostly static.

It's not just the fact that I want to have a lot of stuff to increase the likelihood of getting something going (although I want to build a massive back list), but I also have so many things I want to work on. I want to be able to fill a bookcase or two with things I've written (and not just the same book multiple times).

Of course, what I'd always wanted to do -- and this would be absolutely insane -- is fill an entire library with my works, but I wasted too many years not writing for that to happen.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Will it ever be good enough to satisfy me or will I always loath myself just before I finish a story?
I have these thoughts too. I think Stephen King said artists could work on their stuff forever and never truly finish. Look at it this way: if we’re never satisfied we’ll keep writing.

I’m nearly done with my story draft, and good thing because I’ve had another idea. It’s one of those things that you think would be great if only you can find the right execution.

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
I have these thoughts too. I think Stephen King said artists could work on their stuff forever and never truly finish. Look at it this way: if we’re never satisfied we’ll keep writing.

I’m nearly done with my story draft, and good thing because I’ve had another idea. It’s one of those things that you think would be great if only you can find the right execution.

I can't remember who said it, but I heard a story isn't finished until it gets out of the authors hands, with the implied editor or publisher ripped it away, said it's finished already and published it.

Reactions: llyralen

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering why yesterday the chapter I finally finished struck me as exactly on track. Horrible, sad, and ugly. But today it reads like a string of sht.

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is still going like crap. Can't wait to be done with this thing. Most miserable 86k words I've ever written. If I wasn't so close to finishing the first draft, I might just chuck it.

I still need to plot out my next books, but I'm going to do some short fiction in between. I just have to resist the overwhelming, all-consuming urge to start a new project. I have a few things I really want to do, but I don't want to try free-writing them.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to share that I finished my outline of my newest WIP, These Aren't My Memories, a ya murder mystery with supernatural elements. I'm still not sure on a few things but that's fine because writing is more fun when you have some wiggle room, and there's one chapter that's just labeled: ????? Because I know something needs to happen for clues but I only have a slight idea of what that is.

Whew. It took me like three days of non-stop planning to finish. I hope it's not going to end up short again like all my other projects have been, but I'm an underwriter.

Now I'm going to be going back and forth between editing my sci-fi and continuing my first draft of TAMM.

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
My new WIP is going a lot better than my last one, although I realize that's an absurdly low bar.

Granted, I still have to go back and fill in some descriptions (which always tend to be my stumbling blocks) and smaller things like that.

However, the big thing is that I feel like I'm connecting emotionally with this story, whereas nothing really clicked with the last one. The only big problem is that the quality is a complete blind spot. I have relatively little experience with long-form first-person present tense narratives, so I'm probably going to have to do some post hoc research when I go to edit it.

Just wanted to share that I finished my outline of my newest WIP, These Aren't My Memories, a ya murder mystery with supernatural elements. I'm still not sure on a few things but that's fine because writing is more fun when you have some wiggle room, and there's one chapter that's just labeled: ????? Because I know something needs to happen for clues but I only have a slight idea of what that is.

Whew. It took me like three days of non-stop planning to finish.

While I consider myself an outliner, I realize I haven't put massive amounts of time into outlining anything I've finished since coming back to writing (although my planning documents -- which incorporate more than just an outline -- tend to be 4-10 pages when first starting a project). The outline of events for my new WIP (which I'd meant to be a horror but is skewing towards YA horror, so... I might fix that in editing somehow) took me... maybe half an hour, although I'd thought up a few of the major plot points.

And my outline for the WIP amounted to a starting scene, the order of murders/deaths (although I'm still iffy on the exact means right now), some major events, and the ending... and then, almost immediately into the project, I'm writing a few chapters that didn't appear in my outline at all because I realized I need to break up my events a little (or maybe I just didn't outline well enough...) and wanted to build up some characterization.

I hope it's not going to end up short again like all my other projects have been, but I'm an underwriter.

Meanwhile I have the problem of being an overwriter, which tends to be even worse when I'm trying to stick to an outline because I'll go too far in one direction, and then realize, "Oh crap, I still wanted to do this."

That and I'm a dialogue addict. Once characters start talking, I wind going a little overboard and way too banter-y.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mean...I just...I...WHAT THE FRELLING FECK JUST HAPPENED?! I've been looking for this file for about THREE WEEKS now in every conceivable location I have available! I couldn't find it and finally made up my mind I would need to go through my notebook to piece together what I've already done but IT'S THERE! THE FILE I NEED IS SUDDENLY THERE! HOW?! All I did was set my notebook next to my MacBook and open Scrivener and...

*gives Scrivener side eye*

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
I mean...I just...I...WHAT THE FRELLING FECK JUST HAPPENED?! I've been looking for this file for about THREE WEEKS now in every conceivable location I have available! I couldn't find it and finally made up my mind I would need to go through my notebook to piece together what I've already done but IT'S THERE! THE FILE I NEED IS SUDDENLY THERE! HOW?! All I did was set my notebook next to my MacBook and open Scrivener and...

I can relate to the struggle. I've had four (or five?) different laptops in the past ten years (because stuff keeps going wrong), on top of a traditional PC before that, and not counting any number of added storage media, so I often can't find anything older than a year or two ago.

I've come to accept that a lot of my older fiction is just probably forever lost.

Reactions: BenPanced

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Registered
Reaction score

It's the microchip in the vaccine.

• Haha
Reactions: BenPanced

Featured Book