What's good to see in Rio De Janeiro

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i'm going in November and don't want to only see the typical tourist things (some, of course)...

If it helps: I'm a big nerd; my interests include: Science, science fiction, urban legend, folklore, shopping, myths, food, and pop culture.

any recommendations?

delaford321

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
What about Copacabana Beach? or would it be too cold for the beach in November?

How do you feel about Museums? I've never been to Rio, but if I go, my plan is to hit all of them up!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
November is summer in the Southern Hemisphere, FWIW. Temps in Rio during their summer will often top 100 and come close to 110. Just as a warning.

I had a friend who lived in Rio for about 30 years. Defying, if you'd like to PM me, I'll give you a few of the hints she gave to me.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, our (southern hemisphere) summer doesn't start till December, but yeah, close enough. ;)

Maybe there'd be a nice alternative night club to go to? Meet a Rio De Janeiroan, have a dance, take photos and post them on AW... er, I mean, have a good time. ;)

I want to go to Italy (though I'd have to have a job and not spend too much money and save all year to even come close to affording it...) and I know it's famous for food, wine, coffee, history, language... but what I really want to do first night I get there (when I still have jet lag and thus will be awake all night anyway) is find a goth club.

That'd merge my two favourite things - gothic women and Italians. :D

But to each their own... just a suggestion...

Or maybe there's some sort of SF convention you could attend?

Laquesi

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was hoping to see another Brazilian who actually knows Rio to pitch in, but I'll try and help. This might be a long post. :)
Rio is really hot throughout the year, and november is spring, closing up on summer. However, I've heard that excessive air conditioning might be a problem, so bring a light jacket.
Other than the regular tourist stuff (Pão de Açúcar, Corcovado, beaches) I recommend you check out the Biblioteca Nacional (National Library). It's huge and beautiful and one of the places I really want to visit when I get a chance to go there. Other than that, I found some websites for you:
http://www.cookinrio.com/
http://www.culturalrio.com.br/roteirosIngles.htm
I believe that last one has a lot of tips of stuff to do. Even if you don't do them with that specific company, you can research those on Google.
Rio has a very rich historical background, if you would like to explore that. It also has a lot of nature all around it and tons of cultural activities.
One thing you should know is that most Brazilians are happy to help foreigners who come here. So you can always ask around at your hotel, or try to start a conversation with a local at a restaurant or a beach or something. Of course, like with all things, take care of your safety and don't talk to people you don't get a good 'vibe' from (hope you know what I mean by this).
Hope you have a nice trip!

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Rio is a large and potentially very dangerous city. Don't be fooled by the beautiful beaches; there are some very poor areas and it has a big drugs problem. The tip is to go out only carrying the things you can afford to lose and to hand them over if threatened. That said, I went there at the end of 2001 and I had no problems whatsoever. All you need to do is take care and remember that you are in a large city and not a beach resort.

The public transport and authorised taxis are pretty safe and I used those to get around (I can't stand organised tours). There is a nice ferry trip to Paqueta Island which is worth the ride. I understand the National Museum is worth a visit and you should maybe see about going on a tour of one of the flavelas (slum areas). The mountains are worth visiting too (perhaps Petropolis), although I didn't get that far. Sugar Loaf and the statue of Christ the Redeemer might be tourist spots, but you must visit them. There is a rack railway up to to the latter and you should take that rather than a taxi. I believe you can walk up or down also, but it is worth checking locally to see how safe that might be (I recall there were one or two muggings around the time that I was there).

I know little about shopping, but I would be fairly confident to say that it is probably excellent. For some reason, I seem to recollect that Niteroi on the other side of the bay is good for shopping, but you would need to check that is something I haven't just imagined.

Have a great trip.