What is Love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to ask this...it has philosophical, political, biological, scientific, religious, and sociological undertones, really. But, this seems the best place to me. If a mod disagrees, move it to whereever you deem best. No problems.

So, what is Love? Is it a change in consciousness caused by involuntary hormonal production...a chemical illusion of feeling? Is it something that exists in some Platonic idea state, a higher emotion that takes control of consciousness? Is it the height of humanity, or a lingering misunderstanding of lust that dooms us to jealousy and violence? Is it some diety's or the universe's itself's longing for unity? Does consciousness itself exist in another dimension (as some of the new physics might suggest) and love is thereby a function of this extra-dimensionality?

What say you?

ejaycee

knows nothing of your ruined garden
Registered
Reaction score
Whether it's just a chemical reaction, or instinctive, or spiritual, or what have you, I don't really mind.
It just is.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What... is... Love?

Deee-Lite said:
How do you say delicious?
How do you say delovely?
How do you say delectable?
How do you say devine?
How do you say degroovy?
Dewith it?
How do you say Deee-Lite?
We’ve been trying to find out
Is there really such a thing?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Love is not a noun; it's a verb.

As the country song goes "It's something that we do."

But I see what you mean Diana. I think it can be a noun also. I have love for my husband...but I also actively love him through the way I live my every day life.

It's a feeling that I literally feel fill up my heart, or my chest. When I focus on it, it's so filling that it's hard to breathe.

But I love through hugging my stepdaughter, teaching her, reading to her, holding her hand, putting her needs before my own every single day...

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, what is Love? Is it a change in consciousness caused by involuntary hormonal production...a chemical illusion of feeling? Is it something that exists in some Platonic idea state, a higher emotion that takes control of consciousness? Is it the height of humanity, or a lingering misunderstanding of lust that dooms us to jealousy and violence? Is it some diety's or the universe's itself's longing for unity? Does consciousness itself exist in another dimension (as some of the new physics might suggest) and love is thereby a function of this extra-dimensionality?

What say you?

I say that it's all those things, and probably more, and the English language is vastly incompentent for having only one word to encompass the entire realm of love and loving.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
I say that it's all those things, and probably more, and the English language is vastly incompentent for having only one word to encompass the entire realm of love and loving.

See? This has been my argument for years. That's why I don't really believe "love" is all there is. I use the word love because there IS no other word. I say we invent more.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How long has it been since the English language mugged the Greek language? Or was that a seduction? I don't remember, it's been so very long.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
In accordance with my new avatar: Love is never having to say you're sorry.

I don't know who wrote that line, but they were dreaming.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind
Therefore wing'e Cupid is painted blind.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to ask this...it has philosophical, political, biological, scientific, religious, and sociological undertones, really. But, this seems the best place to me. If a mod disagrees, move it to whereever you deem best. No problems.

So, what is Love? Is it a change in consciousness caused by involuntary hormonal production...a chemical illusion of feeling?
What say you?

Chemicals aren't illusory. If the chemistry is there so is the love. Voluntary hormonal production would be the more illusory/masturbatory
version of love. Love is that involuntary chemical explosion in the brain
that completely recenters motivation on a single other person.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
The Greeks made nice distinctions among eros, philia, and agape--there should be different words to describe the feeling for a lover vs that for one's friends or one's community.

Status
Not open for further replies.