What do you think of author logos?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I was having a discussion with another writer (who owns a blog and does author coaching ) and commented on her blog's logo. That got us on the conversation of author logos. So what I want to know is are author logos a yay or a nay for you?

I personally didn't realize authors could have logos until this discussion I had with my friend. I think they are pretty neat and can make you seem more professional, but how often do you get to use it?

Just curious on how others see them.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of author logos. Maybe a series logo, but not an author logo.

ChaseJxyz

Writes birds and bird accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
This is, ultimately, a question of branding, cause the whole point of a logo is to say "hey here's my brand!" I don't think I've ever seen an author have a logo? I know Really Big authors like James Patterson tend to have their name written the same way in the same font on their books, but that's mostly because the author's name is the selling point. But that's not really a logo, per se.

If you want to make a consistent brand across social media, then yeah, you could make/commission a logo, but I don't think it's really necessary.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It seems odd. Like, if you aren't well-known, who's going to know your logo? And, if you are well-known, your name is all you need. What could you use it for without seeming pretentious?
This is probably a suck of energy better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: gimli

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see why not, although I agree it would be part of branding. If it helps sell books and identify a work by that author, go to it.

The only one I can think of is Kurt Vonnegut used a hand-written * as a type of logo. It appears on a lot of his book covers, and as section breaks in his books. No idea what the origin of it is, though.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're self-publishing, don't have an author logo.

Instead, especially if you're planning on self-publishing printed (vs digital) books, have an imprint. This is a small logo associated with the publisher, printed on the spine of a book, typically near the bottom of the spine.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Thanks for chatting everyone.
It seems odd. Like, if you aren't well-known, who's going to know your logo? And, if you are well-known, your name is all you need. What could you use it for without seeming pretentious?
This is probably a suck of energy better spent elsewhere.

These are my thoughts, too. I would rather spend my energy somewhere else. I also agree it is a little pretentious.

Maryn

Fully Autumnal
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see why not, although I agree it would be part of branding. If it helps sell books and identify a work by that author, go to it.

The only one I can think of is Kurt Vonnegut used a hand-written * as a type of logo. It appears on a lot of his book covers, and as section breaks in his books. No idea what the origin of it is, though.
Vonnegut's hand-drawn asterisk is actually a portion of one's anatomy. I no longer remember which of his books explained that.

Maryn, snorting

• Haha
Reactions: Chris P

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
For authors who prefer remaining anonymous, a logo can be a good replacement for a headshot when it comes to uploading a profile pic on Amazon or other sites.
That's a good point.

I think a logo for a series makes more sense than a logo for an author.

Reactions: cmhbob

gimli

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.newperspectivestudio.co.za
Most of what I've seen is the name of the author written in the same way which is technically a wordmark logo? Think Coca Cola. I think it's important to remember what consumers are used to and expect. People tend to not like new things unless it's mind-blowing. A logo would be odd.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
For authors who prefer remaining anonymous, a logo can be a good replacement for a headshot when it comes to uploading a profile pic on Amazon or other sites.
I've used my blue mushroom for this for years and it's not been a problem for people. It has actually helped people recognise me over the years, because the mushroom never changes. I'm not really anonymous, but people react badly to my face, so I don't want it to be the first thing people see.

I also have an outline mushroom I use where a simpler form would be better.

Though it might seem odd when asked directly about author logos, I bet a lot of you follow authors who do this without even thinking about it.

Reactions: Tavia and AW Admin

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
A little indifferent....but I do like them. One thing I'm not fond of, is when the author's name on the book is 1/3 - 1/2 of the cover.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving