What counts as 'previously published'?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Jazz Club

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a dopey question! I've seen on some agents' websites that they don't want anything that's been previously published anywhere, including online. By that I assume they mean they don't want a whole novel that's been up on Wattpad or Royal Road for months. It wouldn't matter if I put a chapter up for critique on a forum like this, would it? Or do you have to keep your whole novel off public forums and just hire beta readers if you want to try to get it traditionally published?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Generally, they mean a part of the internet that does not require a password to access. So critique forums requiring membership to access are okay. But that is a general rule of thumb rather than completely universal.

Jazz Club

Registered
Reaction score
Generally, they mean a part of the internet that does not require a password to access. So critique forums requiring membership to access are okay. But that is a general rule of thumb rather than completely universal.
Thank you so much. I thought that might be the point of the passwords but wanted to check.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
What about poetry? The entire piece appears in the forum. I’ve never submitted a poem for publication and when I look at the various submission guidelines some of them say must not have appeared online or on any website ?
I've submitted poems I had up here (in prompt threads) and never had a problem.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
What about poetry? The entire piece appears in the forum. I’ve never submitted a poem for publication and when I look at the various submission guidelines some of them say must not have appeared online or on any website ?
You can always edit your SYW post, or ask the subforum mod for that forum, or a Super or and Admin to remove a post when you've decided to submit or have otherwise gleaned all you can from a SYW thread.

Reactions: lorna_w