What are you reading?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working though Grimm's Fairy Tales and Jonathan Franzen's Freedom for some time now. I need to just buckle down and get them done so I can move on to other books.

Tnonk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an O'Reilly fan as far as the TV show but I have read some of his books and am interested in this one as well as his other "Killing" titles. Do you think a non-O'Reilly guy would enjoy reading them?

Yes, I think a non-O'reilly fan would probably enjoy them.
As far as I can tell, the politics don't come in to play, it's more of a historical narrative.
The political intrigue of the times in ancient Judea & Rome are there to a degree but as far as modern politics, I didn't discern any.
I did learn a lot of why Jesus was considered a dangerous man for his times though.

Adrian

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I think a non-O'reilly fan would probably enjoy them.
As far as I can tell, the politics don't come in to play, it's more of a historical narrative.
The political intrigue of the times in ancient Judea & Rome are there to a degree but as far as modern politics, I didn't discern any.
I did learn a lot of why Jesus was considered a dangerous man for his times though.

Adrian

I will put it on my reading list. Thanks!

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
I picked up this book in the GoodWilll yesterday, and I assume it was a college text book, the cover and first pages are gone so I have no idea what it is called, but it is fascinating. It is a collection of short stories from author's in the 1600s to 1980s. In the preface the collaborators collected these stories because of the absence of diversity in writers that are/were taught in schools not just gender or race, but genre.
The stories aren't pieces about the eras, but just authors from the time period over many genres though I noted that the science fiction shorts don't appear until about the 1950s.
And one more thing, I have never heard of these writers in my life.
I'm going to do some research to figure out what it is called.
That sounds cool. I'd be interested if you find out the title.

HobbitTon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. From what I've read so far, it's one of the best nonfiction books I've ever read. It reads like fiction and depicts the struggles of one doctor to establish public health in Haiti.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Jorshington: I finished Dark Places a couple weeks ago and it completely blew me away. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Nightingale: While I thought Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was the better and creepier book, Hollow City was terrific as well. Very action-packed. Can't wait for the third novel and I have the feeling Ransom Riggs is gonna be a writing legend soon.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
The Wretched of Muirwood, by Jeff Wheeler (Kindle) - An orphaned girl in a world where family lineage is of ultimate importance, granting one access to the magic of the Medium. So far, I like it. Wheeler has an interesting magic system, and thus far an interesting world to go with it. The heroine's not quite an angel, either - not actively evil, but she's not above the odd petty theft as retaliation for poor treatment.

(I'm between books on my Nook right now; I have a couple I'm poking at, but none I've committed to finishing yet.)

I read this series last year and by the end of the first book I felt like the magic system reminded me a lot of what I've read about LDS religion. I looked up the author and found out he is indeed LDS although he said it wasn't based on the LDS religion. I guess he was drawing from what he knows.

nastyjman

not nasty at all
Registered
Reaction score
Dark Tower V: Wolves of Calla -- Stephen King

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I read this series last year and by the end of the first book I felt like the magic system reminded me a lot of what I've read about LDS religion. I looked up the author and found out he is indeed LDS although he said it wasn't based on the LDS religion. I guess he was drawing from what he knows.

Yeah, by the end of the first book, the religious bent was hard to ignore. Basically, the whole thing was just a test/lesson for the Sheltered Chosen One - the many deaths were merely collateral damage. Sorta drained the sense of wonder, for me... I didn't bother reading further.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Shirley Rousseau Murphy, Cat Raise the Dead. Mystery (in a series) featuring detective cats. They read, talk (to a couple of people, and each other), and have quite a grasp of society. Takes a lot of suspension of disbelief. But she writes well. Good story if you are down with talking cats.

--Ken

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Lord of the Flies. Can't go wrong with a classic.

I believe Stephen King said that this book was one of his biggest influences. How do you like it so far? It's been on my list for a while but I have not read it.

Right now I'm reading V for Vendetta. A graphic novel by Allan Moore

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I picked up Terrorist by John Updike a few weeks ago. I'm excited that I'm finally getting to it.

RookieWriter: Although Lord of the Flies wasn't my favorite high school required reading (that honor would go to Huckleberry Finn) it was certainly good and quite memorable. Definitely worth the read.

August_R

New Tiger; Learning About The Place
Registered
Reaction score
At a leisurely pace reading classics "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. It seems that the author just draws the comparison between sane and insane not telling openly what he thinks about the world. )) Anyway it really helps you to start looking at life from different perspectives.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Reading more than one at the moment, split between horror/vampires and old fashioned scifi.

Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice- I'm still plucking away at it. Love this book.

Time Machin by H.G. Wells- the verry first scifi book I read at the age of 8. I love this novel with a passion.

Carmilla by La Fanu- Love, and also reading an expanded version by a modern writer. Awesomely sensual, and awe inspiring is all I have to say about both but especially the original. Which I'm liking ever so slightly more. La Fanu was a genius!

In the Days Of The Commet by H.G. Wells- Another classic for me, and well loved as well. Had to dig it out of a box because it's been years since I've read it and it was that time again.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Finished reading Doctor Sleep by King. It was slow and I never felt much suspense or danger. It was ok, I guess.