What are you reading?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Declare - Tim Powers. This is Powers' take on the '60s espionage novel, with the addition of Nephilim, Noah's Ark, high magic rituals and plenty of skullduggery in a variety of exotic locations. Powers' prose and imagination both soar and he's cunningly tied the plot together using the real-life antics of Kim Philby. A tour-de-force and one of my favorites from this always brilliant author.

MaeZe

Registered
Reaction score
I need to get back to reading fun books. I just finished Unprepared - America in the time of Coronavirus by John Sternfeld.

It's written like diary entries with multiple persons' words as they spoke them from Jan to July of 2020. It's nothing I didn't know already but it's still an eye opener when you put it all together in chronological order.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished Ragnar Jonnason's The Mist. I think I have found my next binge-worthy crime novelist to keep me entertained through the remaining winter months.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite recent SF works! Really enjoyed how it wrapped, too.
I loved it (Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time). The ending was a delightful finish after a truly suspenseful climax -- an epic battle in which it's not at all clear who to root for. Very nicely done.

I also finished Nella Larsen's Quicksand, which was all right. Very sad, not quite as compelling as Larsen's other book, Passing. But I'm glad I read it.

I started a couple of things, including Kirsty Manning's The Song of the Jade Lily. I picked this up because the setting -- a community of Jewish refugees in Shanghai during WWII -- was irresistible. It's off to a slow start; I'm almost a fifth of the way through and still waiting for some sign of a story.

And I started Mary McCarthy's The Groves of Academe. I am a sucker for a good campus novel and McCarthy is one of my favorite writers of all time so I have high expectations (dangerous, I know).

:e2coffee:

Reactions: Introversion

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it (Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time). The ending was a delightful finish after a truly suspenseful climax -- an epic battle in which it's not at all clear who to root for. Very nicely done.
Very! I’ve been poking Spouse to give it a go. 😎

I’ll add that I resisted buying the sequel, Children of Ruin, for a long time due to disappointed negative reviews from people who loved the first book. When I did finally read it, I… don’t agree with those reviews. It’s a smidge muddled compared to the first, but I still enjoyed it. I was fascinated his take on how different the minds of up-lifted octopuses would be.

I bought and read Peter Godfrey-Smith’s science book Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness after that to to learn more — cephalopods truly seem alien already.

Currently reading Frans Bengtsson’s The Long Ships, a fictionalized Viking saga. Because Vikings. And to a lesser extent, because it was the author’s one and only novel, which made me curious about it.

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsofimagination.blogspot.com
I recently retired Life of the Buddha and Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock. The first one was interesting enough but I got tired of the overly flowery prose. The second was very disappointing. It was a good idea with bad execution. Listening to Graham Greene’s The Power and the Glory and enjoying it. About to start Black Beauty.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Papa spy by Jimmy Burns Marañón, about his father Tom F. Burns' activities at the British Embassy in Madrid during the Second World War. A fascinating, if overly detailed, insight into espionage and diplomacy during a crucial period of history when Churchill was determined that Franco maintain Spain's neutrality and not become embroiled on the side of Nazi Germany. Having previously worked as an editor, Burns was close friends with Evelyn Waugh and Graham Greene, among others, and in Madrid rubbed shoulders with Kim Philby and Burgess, not knowing they were double agents working for the Russians.

Reactions: Tocotin

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Best American Science and Nature Writing, 2013.

Two of the articles on upcoming pandemics are eerie! One of them quotes Fauci pretty extensively, and was right on that the next pandemic was going to be an RNA virus, and the SARS viruses were a leading contender. I doubt anyone expected it would be so soon. Also, it's remarkable how much the climate discussion has changed in the 9 years since these articles were researched, written, and published. They don't seem naive, but they do lack the urgency of current discussions.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Registered
Reaction score
The first Dresden Files novel by Jim Butcher. Enjoyable, moves along briskly, I can see why it has Big Fandom. But, probably not enough my thing to read the entire series.

Shante_

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and Girl, Stolen by April Henry. Now reading What Kind of Girl by Alyssa Sheinmel and listening to The Breakdown by B.A. Paris!

This has been my best reading year in a looong time. All thanks to audiobooks! I've read 60 books so far this year, which is a lot for me. Thankfully, I can listen while I work my 9 to 5 and do housework, so I can fly through them pretty quickly. Haven't managed to listen to them while driving, though. Probably for the best. :')

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Bitter Magic, a small-press book by a local author about a “cunning woman” (who claims to be skilled in magic) in 17th-century Scotland. I read Outlander for the first time earlier this summer, so I guess there’s a theme here. After this it’ll probably be The Idiot or Girls on Fire or the only Tana French book I haven’t read yet that is available in paperback.

ldlago

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Ian McEwan's "Atonement," and I'm about half way through Michael Connelly's "Trunk Music." For critics who preach the use of short sentences, few adjectives and even fewer adverbs, a read of "Atonement" might change your way of thinking.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu on Audible, and Wolves - Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation edited by David Mech and Luigi Beltomi

Kirkhammer

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Man in the High Castle. Wonderful book, I felt I really had a good experience. Now I started Neuromancer, and the language has already drawn me in.

thewonder

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently reading On the Heights of Despair by Emil Cioran, which I purchased, The Thirst for Annihilation by Nick Land, which I checked out from the library, and The Sinister Tradition, a mystic tract put out by the Order of Nine Angels, which I also checked out from the library, all for research for a work of what I, not without pretense, call "hypertext" about a tyrannical theatre director, critical theorist, and arms trafficker, and his brilliant and suicidal lead actor. It's kind of structured like a caper, but is more of a postmodern work that blurs the distinction between prose and poetry.

I can't imagine what anyone at the library thinks of me, though.

Shante_

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading We Were Never Here by Andrea Bartz and loving it!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo ishiguro. I'm waiting for it to add up to something; right now it feels like a Victorian novel of manners, but it's been on everyone's recommended list.
I gave up on that one somewhere after the 30% mark. Great writing, I just couldn't find a story to connect to. It seemed like a progression of vignettes that didn't build.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Fox and I by Catherine Raven. a gorgeously written, often quirky, sometimes wistful wildlife memoir. Highly recommend, even for people who aren't fans of vulpes vulpes.

Laelia

Better when caffeinated
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Canal Dreams by Iain Banks. It's not immediately hooking me in like most of his other work but it's chugging along nicely at the moment.

ldlago

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading "Stone Cold" by Robert B. Parker. Lots of short chapters, sometimes only a page or two. I'm about 50 pages into "Under The Bridge" by Rebecca Godfrey.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsofimagination.blogspot.com
I’ve been bingeing Audible lately. White Fang, Call of the Wild, Amusing Ourselves to Death, Man’s Search for Meaning, not including the books I started and then quit for lack of interest. Finally got around to reading 1984, and it puts every modern dystopia to shame for sheer verisimilitude. Now reading One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Working on a Western classic: Oakley Hall's Warlock. I took a writing class from Mr. Hall eons ago and learned some things, but never read any of his books (and to his credit, he didn't press reading them on the class). Initially I found the book a bit of a slog - it's very dense and packed with description, with the first few chapters a very thick Name Soup. Now that all the players are in place and the plot is finally moving forward, it's actually become an interesting read. I'm about a fifth of the way through it, and I fear it's going to take a while to finish.

Featured Book