• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

WestSide Books

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Parent Company: http://www.everbind.com/

Unfortunately, this bit from their submissions page:
We also want to point out that self-publishing your manuscript does not improve your chances of being accepted by a traditional publisher and it can actually be a deterrent.
...could be interpreted as either "don't send us your self-pubbed book" or a hint they're pay-to-play. Too early to call, IMO.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
I was browsing around the site and also read the PM article. I kind of like what these folks are trying to do with YA fiction right out of the gate.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Westside request a synopsis and the first 10 pages of my YA disaster novel. We'll see what happens.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
After a few months with a request partial, Ms. Fazio has requested the full manuscript of my YA novel. As a YA author, I like the idea of a publisher trying to place their books in schools and libraries, and am pretty excited about the prospect of working with them. Of course, I'm jumping ahead of myself.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Any update, D.M.? I'm still waiting to hear back on my full.

They've had my full since 5/16. Still waiting, though I requested an update about a month ago and Ms. Fazio hadn't finished it yet, but she said at that time it would be another week or so. I haven't heard back since then.

When did you submit your full?

Scubasteve4

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted mine around the same time as you. It looks like their fall lineup is set to launch November 7th, so hopefully after that we'll hear something. Good luck! Keep me posted.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted mine around the same time as you. It looks like their fall lineup is set to launch November 7th, so hopefully after that we'll hear something. Good luck! Keep me posted.

Good luck to you too. I'm somewhat encouraged we submitted around the same time. I'm hoping it means they're still considering rather than not interested.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Ms. Fazio ultimately passed on my novel, but offered more feedback and critique than any other editor or agent I submitted to thus far (and even offered to look at it again if I made satisfactory revisions).

jsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinwordsmith.com
They asked for a full from me for Eye of a Fly. Although the protagonist is 16, the novel is very dark (murders, graphic language and situations).

Logline:Raised by slum-dwelling alcoholics, an autistic teenage boy struggles to complete college and woo a handicapped girl — with bittersweet results.

I didn't think of it as YA (i.e, unsuitable for young people --- it certainly was unsuitable for me when I lived it), but if they decide to publish it, I'll be ecstatic. I've noticed that a lot of their stuff is quite dark.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
WestSide Books has announced that it's up for sale.

What a shame -- they produce quality books for diverse young readers (including Chery1 Rainfie1d's Sc@rs) and they had seemed to be doing well. I hope they find a buyer who keeps their editorial mission and helps distribution too.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
West Side Books

FYI
This company (a subsidiary of Everbind) stopped producing new books many months ago, although its website is still up and they still have submission guidelines posted. Looks like they are selling off their inventory, since they are still listing the books on amazon. Just a note in case anyone is considering submitting to them. Don't waste your time.