West Indies/Caribbean

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
So I looked through all three pages and didn't see a shout-out to West Indians/Caribbean/Central American folk...
Come on, I know I'm not the only one here! ;)

Last edited:

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
culturally and by birth, Jamaican. but i'm a new englander

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Guyanese by birth and upbringing! South America by geography, West Indian in every other way.
I spent a lot of time in Trinidad as a child, as my mother worked there. Also visited most of the islands on holidays. I'm definitely Caribbean by nature, and it's a pity I don't live there any more. WHere are you from?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, I was born in Puerto Rico, but we left when I was one. That's as close as I can get!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I just have friends who are from the islands. Can I just say y'all have the best (group of) accents ever? And the food! And music. Oh, my :)

Eugénio

Registered
Reaction score
Belize here - the jewel that links the Caribbean to Central America.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Welcome! I just have friends who are from the islands. Can I just say y'all have the best (group of) accents ever? And the food! And music. Oh, my :)

Welcome and me too, got friends from West Indies, mainly Antigua. Must agree with backslashbaby about the accent. I have met people from more than a hundred countries and have never ever heard anything that sounds as beautiful as the accent from that part of the world. You can say bad things to me and still, all I will hear is sweetness :)

yungchic

Kid trapped in an adult's body.
Registered
Reaction score
i'se ah trini, ah trini, lol.
lol @ purple rose. So u mean to tell me that if an islander cuss yuh, u wouldn't mind?
@mountianannie, yeah girl, rotis are the bomb! jerk chicken and festivals! saltfish buljol! callalloo! doubles! yum!

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
^^
One of my favorite novels as a teen was set in Belize (required high school reading: "Beka Lamb"-Zee Edgell).

I too am a huge fan of the Trini accent (and food!)--lots of Trini friends :)

Yay--so happy to see my fellow Caribbean/West Indian/Central & South American peeps!
Hello Jamaica, Guyana, Puerto Rico, Trinidad, Belize & USVI!

Last edited:

Oliviamelb

Registered
Reaction score
Caribbean people unite

Hey i'm from Barbados and was just wondering if they're other Caribbean members on the forum like me..

In the english speaking caribbean we write standard english , however each island has its own unique way of speaking and expressing ourselves.

Greetings slang
Barbados yea wha gine on
Trinidad how all ya doing
Jamaica what ah gwon

Trinis and Jamaicans correct me if I'm wrong

jeniseaaron

Registered
Reaction score
hi!

i'm guyanese. nice to meet a fellow caribbean writer on here. i think for the trinis it's more like 'how allyuh doing'. in guyana we say 'whammin'. :)

jeniseaaron

Registered
Reaction score
another guyanese, born and raised, here. now living in toronto. so glad to find some fellow west indians! and yup, roti and curry is my favourite meal of all time, with pepperpot being a close second :).

SerialWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Born and raised in Canada from two Haitian parents! Only got to visit home once though. Wasn't my best experience but I still love the islands! :)

lmoses2011

Registered
Reaction score
Big ups to my Caribbean peeps them (lol)

First of all we don't talk like that...lol(well some of us). I guess I thought that starting a thread for my fellow Caribbean writers would be cool. And I have a question and everything.

Are your characters/stories caribbean based, and if not do you worry that people would think that you're shunning your culture doing such?

lmoses2011

Registered
Reaction score
Why thank you sugar!!! oh i'm from trinidad. Don't know if i mentioned it.