Warning about Jennifer Day of the Chicago Tribune

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgilbert2010

Registered
Reaction score
I was a reviewer for the books section of the Chicago Tribune until I wrote a justifiably negative piece about a bad novel I was asked to review. The books editor, Jennifer Day, ran my piece exactly as I had written it, but, after that, she stopped answering my email and ignored every pitch I sent her. (Maybe the author of that novel complained.) I couldn't help noticing that she hired other freelancers to write reviews of many of the titles I had pitched. Each book received glowing praise. It's hard not to conclude that Jennifer Day stopped using me because I wrote honest, negative criticism instead of a review that was positive and quotable.

I feel strongly that other freelancers should know about this experience.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was a reviewer for the books section of the Chicago Tribune until I wrote a justifiably negative piece about a bad novel I was asked to review. The books editor, Jennifer Day, ran my piece exactly as I had written it, but, after that, she stopped answering my email and ignored every pitch I sent her. (Maybe the author of that novel complained.) I couldn't help noticing that she hired other freelancers to write reviews of many of the titles I had pitched. Each book received glowing praise. It's hard not to conclude that Jennifer Day stopped using me because I wrote honest, negative criticism instead of a review that was positive and quotable.

I feel strongly that other freelancers should know about this experience.

Yeah, you know what, we're not going to do this. Editors don't owe writers a damn thing after payment. And trashing a (former) colleague is not the way to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving