Virtual hugs to everyone

Alina's Universe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi beautiful humans and aliens,

I have finally mustered the courage to go out there, join the like-minded people, and not be afraid of – well, of the online world and being laughed at.

My name is Alina and I'm trying to be a writer… whatever that means. I started writing a little over two years ago, after moving my life from Ukraine to Malaysia, quitting the stressful life of a lawyer, and focusing on my dreams (I'm fortunate to do so and grateful for it every day).

I write YA fantasy and sci-fi, hoping that one day my books can serve as a safe space, a space to escape, a space where young kids and adults alike can have a moment to breathe and forget about the harsh realities of our world. Those are the genres I like to read as well. Although I do love a good detective, I can't write those. I've never tried beta reading, simply because I like nearly everything I read and watch. Not a critic over here.

I write to simply learn how the story ends. I am one of those people, who for the life of me can't have a plot before writing. The characters come alive in my head, and they lead the story ahead.

I've completed two novels – one fantasy and one sci-fi (they were unfortunately rejected, but I've learned that rejection is a big part of the process), and I'm currently working on a third one. Wish me luck. In my stories, I tend to come up with species of aliens or fantasy beings (still pretty much human like), avoiding humans as characters as much as I can. I need escape from humans as I write… maybe that's why I get rejected all the time.

This community looks overwhelming, exciting, scary, and just like a bunch of good people (I hope). I really hope to find people, who can understand me, understand why writing is a need, rather than a hobby. Those who know how it feels to get rejected constantly, to think that you should just give up, but with all that you still keep on going… because the stories in your head don't stop. Any tips on stopping self-doubt and panic are welcomed.

Finding those who struggle with writing in English when it's not their native language would be great too. I keep blaming myself for forgetting the right words or failing to describe the scenes in a way that I want to, in a way that I see every little detail in my mind. Having the support of someone who knows the way it feels, that'd just make it less stressful.

Sorry for the long post, everyone. Here's to, hopefully, a lot of new friendships.

Lots of love and virtual hugs,

Alina

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lovely to meet you. Malaysia is one of my favourite places - my kids became teenagers there. And Ukraine is - sounds from all I've heard - beautiful and brave, and heartbreaking.

You'll have a lot to colour your writing with :)

Welcome.

• Love
Reactions: Alina's Universe

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Alina. And congratulations on completing two novels! That's wonderful.

You'll find lots of people here like you: authors who write because they are compelled; writers of fantasy and science fiction; folks for whom English isn't their first language. (Though I'd never have guessed, in your case: your English is excellent.)

• Love

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Finding those who struggle with writing in English when it's not their native language would be great too.

What about finding those who struggle writing in English when it is their native language? :p

I keep blaming myself for forgetting the right words or failing to describe the scenes in a way that I want to, in a way that I see every little detail in my mind.

That's kind of a universal struggle among writers. Sometimes I'll write a word I know is wrong, highlight it, keep coming back to it, think about it while driving, and then show it to somebody who points out the obvious... or, even if they don't have the answer, reinforce that I'm not crazy in thinking it's the wrong word.

• Love

DigitalScript

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.quiet.ly
Hi beautiful humans and aliens,
Hi ^^
I have finally mustered the courage to go out there, join the like-minded people, and not be afraid of – well, of the online world and being laughed at.
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.
My name is Alina and I'm trying to be a writer… whatever that means. I started writing a little over two years ago, after moving my life from Ukraine to Malaysia, quitting the stressful life of a lawyer, and focusing on my dreams (I'm fortunate to do so and grateful for it every day).
Great to hear.
I write YA fantasy and sci-fi, hoping that one day my books can serve as a safe space, a space to escape, a space where young kids and adults alike can have a moment to breathe and forget about the harsh realities of our world. Those are the genres I like to read as well. Although I do love a good detective, I can't write those. I've never tried beta reading, simply because I like nearly everything I read and watch. Not a critic over here.
Hey, that's no problem. People love being told their work is great. There's enough 'black coffee' drinkers on this site to satisfy all the brutal up-front crits one could possibly need ;)
I've completed two novels – one fantasy and one sci-fi (they were unfortunately rejected, but I've learned that rejection is a big part of the process), and I'm currently working on a third one. Wish me luck. In my stories, I tend to come up with species of aliens or fantasy beings (still pretty much human like), avoiding humans as characters as much as I can. I need escape from humans as I write… maybe that's why I get rejected all the time.
Good luck and hang in there! Revision, revision, revision ^^
...because the stories in your head don't stop.
THEY DON'T! They really don't.
Any tips on stopping self-doubt and panic are welcomed.
Ngl, I'm constantly plagued by self-doubt. Imo, just don't stop. When there's doubt, revise again (always keeping older drafts). I treat my doubt as my subconsciousness informing my consciousness that something is wrong. So I revise >8) But that's just me.
Sorry for the long post, everyone. Here's to, hopefully, a lot of new friendships.

Lots of love and virtual hugs,

Alina
<3 And welcome again! It's a good bunch.

• Love

Alina's Universe

Registered
Reaction score
Lovely to meet you. Malaysia is one of my favourite places - my kids became teenagers there. And Ukraine is - sounds from all I've heard - beautiful and brave, and heartbreaking.

You'll have a lot to colour your writing with :)

Welcome.
Definitely a lot of history, emotions, and just life in Ukraine to fill anyone's imagination.
Thank you for the warm welcome:)

Alina's Universe

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Alina. And congratulations on completing two novels! That's wonderful.

You'll find lots of people here like you: authors who write because they are compelled; writers of fantasy and science fiction; folks for whom English isn't their first language. (Though I'd never have guessed, in your case: your English is excellent.)
Thank you, that is very kind. Look forward to getting to know everyone:)

Alina's Universe

Registered
Reaction score
What about finding those who struggle writing in English when it is their native language? :p
Haha! I'm pretty sure that I'd struggle even more if I were to write in Ukrainian or Russian, so I can feel the pain.

That's kind of a universal struggle among writers. Sometimes I'll write a word I know is wrong, highlight it, keep coming back to it, think about it while driving, and then show it to somebody who points out the obvious... or, even if they don't have the answer, reinforce that I'm not crazy in thinking it's the wrong word.
Highlighting the part I'm struggling with is a good way to not simply forget about it (like I do) and keep coming back to it. I'll steal that one from you, thank you:)

Reactions: Nether

Alina's Universe

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, that's no problem. People love being told their work is great. There's enough 'black coffee' drinkers on this site to satisfy all the brutal up-front crits one could possibly need ;)
Great! I'll fill the positive part of a 'compliment sandwich' for everyone in here:cool:

Ngl, I'm constantly plagued by self-doubt. Imo, just don't stop. When there's doubt, revise again (always keeping older drafts). I treat my doubt as my subconsciousness informing my consciousness that something is wrong. So I revise >8) But that's just me.
That's a good way to look at it! Now we need to figure out at what point revisions do more harm than good, and we're golden:unsure:
<3 And welcome again! It's a good bunch.
Thank you, can't wait to chat with everyone more.

Reactions: DigitalScript

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
👋 hello and :welcome: to Absolute Write, Alina's Universe :)

Alina's Universe said:

Nobody will laugh at you here, that's a guarantee. Laugh at humorous comments you make or share, sure, but never at you.

This community looks overwhelming, exciting, scary, and just like a bunch of good people (I hope) (...)

Absolute Write is very much a microcosm of the world. We have the silly kids, the responsible adults and the cheeky elders; we have the thinkers, the dreamers, the pragmatists, the fatalists and those who simply shrug and move on to the next issue whatever that may be :)

Finding those who struggle with writing in English when it's not their native language would be great too.

I'm a Dane writing in English so I know exactly what you mean about not finding (or even knowing) the right word(s) to use et cetera. It can definitely be a chore at times, but the bigger the struggle, the greater the reward when everything fits and the story just flows from our fingertips.

Norsebard

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome, welcome, welcome!

You'll love it here, I'm sure. AW is, in my opinion, the internet's premier writing place, with all the info you'll ever need on all things writing and publishing, and home to an amazing community, to boot.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you quickly understand not only the forum rules, but also the culture and etiquette of the various spaces within.

There's a lot to discover, so please take your time exploring, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :)
Izz

• Love

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

• Love

Alina's Universe

Registered
Reaction score
Absolute Write is very much a microcosm of the world. We have the silly kids, the responsible adults and the cheeky elders; we have the thinkers, the dreamers, the pragmatists, the fatalists and those who simply shrug and move on to the next issue whatever that may be :)
Sounds like a good bunch, thank you for the warm welcome!

I'm a Dane writing in English so I know exactly what you mean about not finding (or even knowing) the right word(s) to use et cetera. It can definitely be a chore at times, but the bigger the struggle, the greater the reward when everything fits and the story just flows from our fingertips.
Have you found any ways to sort of not get too frustrated before everything finally fits? I feel like more often than not I give up on the phrase or the whole paragraph and just create something else, but sometimes it doesn't fit the story as well. If that makes sense...

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
Alina's Universe said:
Have you found any ways to sort of not get too frustrated before everything finally fits?

Yes and no - it depends on the story I'm writing. If it's something I'm really enthusiastic about, I tend not to worry too much about the inevitable speed bumps along the way. But if the story doesn't deliver what it was meant to, I get annoyed with it and that's when the frustrations creep in.

Mostly I just keep chipping away, chipping away, chipping away at the issue until I arrive at something I'm satisfied with. It's often happened that I've found the perfect word/phrase the next morning after spending an entire day thumping my head against my desk...! It's all part of the constant leaning process when it comes to writing, I guess.

I'm reminded of an old joke: "People keep telling me to think out of the box... but if I have a box on my head when I write, I can't see the keys!" :LOL:

I feel like more often than not I give up on the phrase or the whole paragraph and just create something else, but sometimes it doesn't fit the story as well. If that makes sense...

:unsure: Whenever I'm racking my brain for the proper English word, I type the correct Danish term in a placeholder that I can easily search for later on. That way, I won't get bogged down but can carry on in my writing session - here's an example: "Ohhhh," the bearded fellow said after thumping his forehead on his desk for the seventeenth time in the past five minutes, "why won't that */elendige/* word come to me!"

Norsebard

Alina's Universe

Registered
Reaction score
Yes and no - it depends on the story I'm writing. If it's something I'm really enthusiastic about, I tend not to worry too much about the inevitable speed bumps along the way. But if the story doesn't deliver what it was meant to, I get annoyed with it and that's when the frustrations creep in.

Mostly I just keep chipping away, chipping away, chipping away at the issue until I arrive at something I'm satisfied with. It's often happened that I've found the perfect word/phrase the next morning after spending an entire day thumping my head against my desk...! It's all part of the constant leaning process when it comes to writing, I guess.

I'm reminded of an old joke: "People keep telling me to think out of the box... but if I have a box on my head when I write, I can't see the keys!" :LOL:

:unsure: Whenever I'm racking my brain for the proper English word, I type the correct Danish term in a placeholder that I can easily search for later on. That way, I won't get bogged down but can carry on in my writing session - here's an example: "Ohhhh," the bearded fellow said after thumping his forehead on his desk for the seventeenth time in the past five minutes, "why won't that */elendige/* word come to me!"

Norsebard
Thank you:love: You've been so so helpful. It all now seems like straightforward ways to deal with it, something I should've figured out myself a while back. I guess somehow I needed someone else to tell me about it:LOL:

Reactions: Norsebard