• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Upstart Crow Literary

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard just today that Michael Stearns, Chris Richman, and Danielle Chiotti are leaving Firebrand to start a new agency called Upstart Crow Literary. Apparently, their website will be www.upstartcrowliterary.com, but it's not up and running yet.

NOTE: I have no idea if this is accurate information, but thought I'd pass it along.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Over a month ago Michael Stearns was listed on the drop down menu and I chose him when I filled out the submission form. I never received a response. I think I'll just wait and try to query this new agency.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I heard just today that Michael Stearns, Chris Richman, and Danielle Chiotti are leaving Firebrand to start a new agency called Upstart Crow Literary. Apparently, their website will be www.upstartcrowliterary.com, but it's not up and running yet.

NOTE: I have no idea if this is accurate information, but thought I'd pass it along.

I saw it on the Verla Kay blue boards so I'd say it's legit.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com

Yup.

Angel -- Maybe send Miss Danielle a note as soon as you get a new email address on her. This could well be an opportunity for you. Good Luck.

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score

That's great! I was torn between submitting to Ted Malawer or Michael Sterns. Now, it looks like I can query both! As for those with materials out with one of them, they'll bring that stuff with them, obviously, but I'd expect slower response times for awhile.

Angelchamomile

I love AW!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Received a very polite and professional e-mail from Danielle explaining that she is indeed going to be with Upstart Crow, and she would like to still consider my novel if I was alright with it being with a new agency. So.....
1. The rumors are true AND 2. *waves arms, shakes butt*
She said their website should be up next week.
:)

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Upstart Crow has a placeholder page up now:

http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com/

Does anyone know for sure which agents are coming over from Firebrand, and what they'll each represent?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I've copied some posts over from the Firebrand thread that should help.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
The 3 Upstart Crow agents are now listed at Querytracker along with their genres and email addresses.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Michael Stearns is the only one who handles my genre. It looks like they're already getting queries at their new addresses, but Querytracker doesn't say if he'd prefer just a query, or a few sample pages with. Any guesses what his preference might be?

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Michael Stearns is the only one who handles my genre. It looks like they're already getting queries at their new addresses, but Querytracker doesn't say if he'd prefer just a query, or a few sample pages with. Any guesses what his preference might be?

I'm not sure yet, but on Danielle's Twitter feed last week, she mentioned she wished people would wait to query until their submissions guidelines are posted on their web!

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Makes sense;o) I had seen a quote where she just says "We're already getting queries!" So I was wondering if my google-fu had failed me, and there was a secret trove of submission info out there. Better to be part of the first-week deluge than an annoying gun-jumper.

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Makes sense;o) I had seen a quote where she just says "We're already getting queries!" So I was wondering if my google-fu had failed me, and there was a secret trove of submission info out there. Better to be part of the first-week deluge than an annoying gun-jumper.

I agree...I usually wait a bit after the deluge!

justinai

SHAZAM!!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, just a sidenote: if you just click the link at the beginning of this thread it takes you to a coming soon page. But if you click the link from the PW article http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com/home.html it takes you to the website, up and running. I guess the redirect's not working.

This looks like a fab agency. I'd love to work with them.

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
I'm unreasonably annoyed that none of their agents accept my genre, purely because the little crow on their logo is so adorable.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It was hard to figure out who was the best match for mine. They're so specific about what they do or don't want.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eveningstar: I know! I love that logo.

I'm a little disappointed, too; on another site Michael Stearns is listed as interested in genre fantasy/sci fi, and now he's not anymore. Teh suck.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Their website is GREAT!

Good luck to anyone subbing to them. I hope you'll post response times and any useful information you find out!

:)Smish

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The agent will send you a reply telling you they got the query. The response says it "will be responded to in the next few weeks."

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
The agent will send you a reply telling you they got the query. The response says it "will be responded to in the next few weeks."

That's what I read on the website. I subbed to Danielle last night and didn't get auto-message. Which leads me to believe they may not be officially "open" yet. My bad...I was going to wait a couple weeks, but couldn't resist on my new book. She seems like a good fit for my career goals. I'll update this thread on response times, etc.