Update us! How are you?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

MaeZe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to check in Lyv. I'd have been very sad if you just disappeared with the forum break. It sounds like a nightmare interspersed with tiny flashes of accomplishment, hope and happiness!

Maybe not something I should say out loud but with a tamponade and multiple small cardiac infarcts you should pass peacefully at some point.; if you are ready that is, and it sounds like you are.

I'm sorry I never got to meet you in person but I'm glad to have shared time with you here. :Hug2:

Keep writing if/when you can. I'll read every word and be in awe at how you've dealt with all of it.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Lyv, I wondered if you'd make it through and expected to see your name in the Remembrances. You are truly a great being. Your love is astounding.

I'm glad I got to say this.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It’s so great to see all the familiar names here. Thank you to Mac and AW Admin for bringing the site back online through months and months of hard work! Lyv, I’m glad to see your post and I read every word with a bittersweet smile. I have been thinking of you while AW was down, and it sounds like you’ve been through the mire. It’s really good to have you here.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Gotta admit, it's not been easy through the pandemic. I have a kid in uni over at Wales, and as we live in England, the lockdown before Xmas saw him isolated for months on his own in his uni flat. Tough on any student, but my lad's autistic. His uni has been amazing with him, to be honest, doing regular Zoom checks to make sure he was okay, but ughh.... As if 1st year at uni wasn't heart-puinding enough, lol. Then he got sent home for Christmas, then wasn't allowed to go back to Wales due to border restrictions and had to remote learm for 5 months. We're only just sorting his second-year accomodation now. Along with home-schooling my other two kids, babysitting for my grandkids as my eldest lad is an election working to maintain council homes, it's been a logistical nightmare.

I think if the pandemic taught me one thing, it's that I'm no teacher. So hats off to anyone who is.

Writing-wise has been good, though. But then a little escapism through a fictional window into psych thrilles and serial killers always helps.. just at times, lol.

Glad to see so many familiar names uptop!

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
It's so great to see everyone here, especially Taylor, Harlequin, Lyv, and everyone else who had a particularly challenging time these past months. Thanks so much to AW Admin and Mac especially for all the hard work in getting this site back up and going.

As far as writing goes, I've written several short stories, so I have 13k finished for a collection, which I'd like to finish this year. I also wrote about 20k on a novella that's about 5k away from completion. I'd like to finish that, too.

So at least I got something out of Covid. My case had no narrative tension whatsoever--it was like getting a case of mono light. Six weeks in bed instead of six months. Five pounds gained. Urgh. Five more pounds gained.

Nobody else seems to have talked about this, so I'll mention it. I gained weight like I never had before. I put on twenty pounds, even though I tried not to. It was like I was a space alien in someone else's body--just the oddest feeling. I've lost 10 and a half of it now (hey, the half is important), so I'm back to more ordinary dieting. I've had to lose these ten pounds plenty of times.

I know this isn't the desperate straits that some have navigated, but I thought I'd mention it here because at one point it was really adding to my feelings of helplessness. I felt like I couldn't even control this. I'd never been more than plump, and I didn't know if I could even lose weight anymore. Nothing I tried seemed to work.

And then, when staring down a new weight milestone that I REALLY didn't want to hit, somehow I figured it out. I moved the scale next to the refrigerator. Every bite got carefully considered.

Or maybe it was just getting over Covid and getting vaccinated. But the point is this: Just because I was in uncharted territory where I'd never been before didn't mean that I had to stay there.

And I guess even this challenge could have been worse. To celebrate my Covid independence day (when the second vaccine kicked in), I had my hair cut. When I shared my struggles with the beautician, she related that she'd gained fifty pounds.

So to anyone else who's wrestling with the same problem--I feel you. But we don't have to stay in this place. Things are getting better now--this can, too.

May everyone else find a way to deal with their post-Covid realities as well. Maybe even with a certain measure of grace. At least, that's my hope. : )

MaeZe

Registered
Reaction score
... Nobody else seems to have talked about this, so I'll mention it. I gained weight like I never had before. I put on twenty pounds, even though I tried not to. It was like I was a space alien in someone else's body--just the oddest feeling. I've lost 10 and a half of it now (hey, the half is important), so I'm back to more ordinary dieting. I've had to lose these ten pounds plenty of times.
I gained 10 pounds and I was already frustrated I wasn't losing any before the lockdown. I swear my body just keeps cranking up the weight thermostat. Once I was up 10, I stopped gaining more. But I can't lose any either.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody else seems to have talked about this, so I'll mention it. I gained weight like I never had before. I put on twenty pounds, even though I tried not to. It was like I was a space alien in someone else's body--just the oddest feeling. I've lost 10 and a half of it now (hey, the half is important), so I'm back to more ordinary dieting. I've had to lose these ten pounds plenty of times.

I know this isn't the desperate straits that some have navigated, but I thought I'd mention it here because at one point it was really adding to my feelings of helplessness. I felt like I couldn't even control this. I'd never been more than plump, and I didn't know if I could even lose weight anymore. Nothing I tried seemed to work.
Oh man, you are so not alone!

I didn't gain weight as such (might have, I don't weigh myself often) but volume, yeah, definitely. I had to renew half of my wardrobe. Still am replacing things, when I have the heart to try them on. I didn't entirely feel like myself. I have had a fairly stable weight and body shape for my entire adult life until suddenly I didn't. I was so used of being able to have clothes for a decade and still be able to wear them and now I had to pass on clothes that I bought like last year.

I was kind of glad they coined the term 'corona kilos' because that told me I wasn't the only one. But as all the other women in the family struggle with weight, I am fairly sure I am unlikely to ever lose them again.

And it may not have been life-threatening, but it is still a blow to one's self image during what's already a mentally-trying time.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Registered
Reaction score
I’m not fat, I’m just gravitationally advantaged…

I‘m diabetic. I get checked every three months, except when I skipped all of non-vaccinated COVID-time.

Each checkup includes a weigh-in. I get chided for not losing weight, with a stronger scolding when I gain. Fat + diabetes is bad.

This month my quarterly scold sessions resumed. The scales were kind, but I’m convinced they lied. Said I’m only up two pounds, but I know my pants tell me otherwise. 😛 I think I trust my pants, sigh.

MaeZe

Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm off to mow the lawn wild flowers okay they were weeds before the heat sets in. It's 72F now and it's supposed to be 80 by noon. And I have to put shades up in all the Sun facing windows because by Sat it will be in the 100s culminating with 112F on Monday!

I'm sure for some of you that's a normal summer day but here in the NW, 112F, OMG!

Right on cue it's noon and it's 80F. I mowed everything in the shade leaving just a tiny corner. It feels good to get that out of the way. I'll put the shades up later. The outside shades are up on the sunniest part of the house. I do believe I am prepared as long as my little room air conditioner doesn't give out. And I have a back-up portable air conditioner if I get desperate. It's just that it's heavy and I'd have to bring it downstairs. My son could help with that.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Kat M

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
Holy crackers, that's hot! We're supposed to hit 90F a few days next week, and I'm already sweating about it. Totally not normal for this area either. :Sun::scared:

Reactions: MaeZe

MaeZe

Registered
Reaction score
The news media is in 'disaster is coming mode'.

I put some little cups of water in the freezer so I can put ice in my dog's water dish to keep the water cold.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
I lived in Mexicali for almost a year; it could get up to ~115F regularly during the summer. But that's a dry heat, and I found that it was actually more bearable (as long as you were vigilant in staying hydrated) than the humid New England summers I grew up with. 113F with PNW humidity sounds like a bad time.

I live in the PNW as well, but I'll be out of state on business next week. 😌 Did I mention my wife hates me?

Otter Poltergeist

Registered
Reaction score
I'm up in SW Canada, looking at a Feels Like temperature of 117 by Monday... and I have a 5:30 am to 8 pm shift tomorrow to run a crane erection.

What wonderful timing. I'm probably going to end up in the no-ventilation site office by the end of the day, printing off pictures of a lake.

Joaofsilva

Registered
Reaction score
Website
t.co
I've finally picked up writing again after a five-month hiatus to focus on my mental health and recover from burnout. I love writing so much, but it continues to be difficult to have any decent writing time when I have a demanding day job and family responsibilities. It takes not just time and perseverance, but also mental toughness, so I'm working on that while trying to take it easy.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
It's great to see everyone checking in! <3

Me? After my last post in this thread, lots have happened. A major depressive episode involving suicidal ideation and two mild attempts (got my meds changed); and more progress on some secret projects (happy things).

Please keep checking in, all. <3

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hang in there, Snitch - and everyone else, too.

The heat finally broke here in the PNW, at least for today.

I suspect there will be entire psych dissertations written regarding Pandemic mental health. I'm in kind of a grim, one-foot-in-front-of-the other fugue state, for the most part.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hi there, I'm back. During the outage, I ... got a new job with the ASPCA, moved out to the suburbs (-ish, a town home in the Chicago outer suburbs near a nature refuge), had my new house get flooded with sewage, fought the insurance company and lost, got help from my sister to fix the house and move back in, fostered and adopted out 9 puppies (still have Mom dog looking for a home), and planted my first (small) vegetable garden.

Maryn

Masked, Vaxed, Traveling
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man, veinglory, sewage in your new house! That's awful. May that have been the only time ever.

writing17

Registered
Reaction score
It’s so great to see all the familiar names here. Thank you to Mac and AW Admin for bringing the site back online through months and months of hard work! Lyv, I’m glad to see your post and I read every word with a bittersweet smile. I have been thinking of you while AW was down, and it sounds like you’ve been through the mire. It’s really good to have you here.
Omg, are you Jesse? :O

I just read The Obsession and I loooved it! I'm planning to read Dial A for Aunties and most of the reviews say it's amazing too! Looking forward to reading it this month! Also, thank you for writing the stories :)

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Hey now! Look at the place! It looks fabulous.

*goes around touching things*

I didn't realize just how MUCH I missed AW until I couldn't get here any more.

*ties a string around its ankle so it can't wander off again*

And update from someone probably no one remembers. Tis cool, tis cool.

I have 7 of a 9 book cozy series in the middle of going wide with it as well as hooked up with another cozy author do to a series together.

And just trying to stay cool in this sultry southern heat.

I wish it were as sexy as it sounds. It's just gross.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Omg, are you Jesse? :O

I just read The Obsession and I loooved it! I'm planning to read Dial A for Aunties and most of the reviews say it's amazing too! Looking forward to reading it this month! Also, thank you for writing the stories :)
Thank you so much!! That's so kind of you and I hope you enjoy DAFA. 😊

Aaa, it's amazing seeing all the familiar names, and @bearilou, of course we remember you! Seeing your name pop up in my alerts made me smile, and I'm so glad to see you back here!

We're back in lockdown here in Jakarta due to a spike in cases with the Delta variant. The little hippos are heartbroken; they've been out of school for a year and a half and miss their friends. So that sucks...but we're grateful that we're safe and hoping the wave ends soon. Writing-wise, I've gotten a really good steady schedule going, so I'm happy with that!

Featured Book