• We’re running on a new server at a new host with a new forum software called XenForo. Some things are different. Some things may not work as expected. I am working on it as fast as I can. Please be patient. Please read this post.
  • I'm going to be working on the forums for a while. Things may be wonky. I may turn the forums off without notice. Consider this a bit of a public beta test as we figure out the new software and make adjustments. But you've been much missed, and we can't wait to see you again!

Update us! How are you?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I want to know how everyone is doing.

It's been a long long break.

How are you?

What have you written?

What have you read that you like?

What have you been listening to?
Lots have happened since the forums went offline:

Lost my job because of restructuring, love life is moving along well, designing my own products for sale, writing scripts mostly, and staying busy. All the while listening to meditative music, and taking up martial arts again and other exercises. Also baking more again. Heh.

How's everyone doing?

MaeZe

Registered
Reaction score
It's so nice to see everyone!!!!

I'm okay, some good (quarantine finally easing up, family all made it through without getting COVID, since the government is letting self-employed people collect unemployment I'm doing fine for the moment but it would be bad if not for that); some bad (one of my two dogs died and the other one, a litter mate, has the same symptoms now, and my autoimmune thingy is no longer controlled on my prednisone dose—lots of issue to resolve there).

My novel is ready to start trying to sell it (mentioned that elsewhere). I'm still tinkering.

I've been mostly reading non-fiction, nothing I would recommend.

I have developed an absolute obsession with Freddie Mercury and Queen. I'm not sure why now, Mercury has been dead for more than 25 years. What an incredible singer and all four of the members of Queen are fantastic musicians and songwriters. Can't really explain my obsession.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I have been away for a few years but glad to be back.

I got married in August 2019, went to Ireland (from California) for our honeymoon, and have been isolating due to the pandemic. You'd think I got a lot of writing done but I just got a little--kind of like chipping away at the words. I have been spending a lot of time on digital artwork and on acrylic painting, landscapes being my favorite.

Great to be back and to "see" everyone again. A HUGE thank you to all who made kept the forum intact while transitioning to the new boards. Well done! :)

Last edited:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So happy to have AW back up and running - thanks for all your hard work and perseverance @AW Admin

Like most writers I know, I haven't written as much as I hoped during lockdown. I've turned more to crafts, card making in particular. Still reading as much as ever. Finally managed to read nearly every book on my bookshelf. (Libraries were closed here for a VERY long time.) I've also got used to reading e-books. Before this, I was very much a physical book kinda girl. :)

Looking forward to catching up with all my AW friends. :D

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsofimagination.blogspot.com
I’ve got a lot to get off my chest so please bear with me. First of all, I’m very thankful this site is back. I missed you guys a lot. Around July 30 last year I had a mental breakdown. Stress had been building for some time. I was in martial arts classes twice a week. We made to make two trips to Texas to help my in-laws. But the straw that broke me was A simple misunderstanding at work that led me to destroy certain paperwork that should not have been destroyed. My boss flew into a rage and I cried right there in front of her. I thought I was going to lose my job. This was not the first time I’d had such severe emotional reactions, and with my wife’s urging I finally decided to seek counseling. I asked a woman at church (retired psychology professor) for recommendations and selected a man I thought would be a good fit.

I thought I was going for stress management but it became clear within two sessions that my stress reactions stemmed from a low opinion I have of myself brought on by excessive and irrational guilt, which I had pounded into myself for decades.

As I wrestled with what to tell my therapist I sank into deep depression, wanting to finally face my demons but also afraid to, because it meant I’d have to give up control of them. My dad (who’d been through AA and battled drug addiction) urged me to spill all the beans. I got on Lexipro and began reading books on cognitive therapy like “Feeling Good.”

During this time I quit writing and I was convinced the end had come at last. I had been working on a novel but abandoned it. I didn’t really enjoy much of anything any more. I tried to burn my old manuscripts but my mother and wife wouldn’t let me. Tried to sell my typewriter collection but thwarted again. I began suffering severe anxiety (memory triggered, not true anxiety attacks).

I was never actively suicidal but had come dangerously close. I began to think “if I died today I’d be ok with that. I’ve seen enough.” As a Christian I’m supposed to be “ready to go” at any moment but this was a resigned defeatist kind of ready. My mother was instrumental in helping me, since she had barely survived severe depression about five years ago.

There were advantages to not having any interest. I became more relaxed, went with the flow, quit melatonin and began sleeping better than ever before (ironically I slept well even when despairing. Crying is good exercise). I stopped thinking past tomorrow.

During this time on lockdown I got to bond with our dog Kimber. She’s been a great joy to our lives and our adventures could fill another post and a half.

Ideas kept coming to me but it was easy to shrug them off. “Someone else could write a good story with that.” Sometime around December I remembered a story I wanted to write about a time-traveling detective. I realized that the story would work better as a straight up historical novel but shied away from doing it because I felt all washed up.

But then my wife said that she was concerned because I wasn’t writing anymore. So against my better judgement I dipped my toe in the water and began researching my topic for a “hypothetical” novel, thus allowing myself to walk away scot free if I petered out. All I’ll say here is that it’s got something to do with Mexico in the 1930s, and I’m neck deep in it. That country has a fascinating history and it’s changed my views on current issues like immigration reform.

I’ve had to reinvent my writing process to fit my new mental outlook. I won’t write a single work of the story till everything is studied and outlined. For the first time in my life I’m writing to my true self and playing on my strength. I’m not suited to write sprawling fantasies or scathing satire. I’m a historian. The past should be my playground. Do I regret those floundering years? Yeah but I’m only 32. With luck the course correction came in time. From now on I write for me, which I should have been doing all along.

As to COVID, we in Arkansas got off pretty easy. My family mostly avoided it and we kept our jobs. Our governor had a good head on his shoulders and now everything’s coming back to life. Very thankful to be alive and in my right mind.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
3 weeks away from having our house fully paid off...annnnnnnnnnd we've taken out a 20 yr loan for massive renovations.
As someone who had to oversee the sale of a home that hadn't been touched in 35 years - you are doing the right thing. :) I hope the renovations improve your enjoyment of the house.

Reactions: MaeZe and RedRajah

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
So glad to see everyone again! I've had both good and bad things happen. Mainly good.

When the forums were closed I was last seen struggling through my second draft of a YA sci-fi called "Puppet People" I am currently reviewing my alpha reader's edits of the final product! One big change is that I've decided to trade publish this book. I'm excited but also dreading how long it will take. As of now, I'll soon be heading onto finding beta readers which is why I'm glad this forum came back because I feel safer here then, say, Instagram.

I've been doing a lot of reading. Some good ones: Thursday's Child. Harrow Lake, If I Stay/Where She Went, Calvin and more. Just finished "The Ones We're Meant to Find" I'd rate it a 3.5. Great story but a lot of technical babble.

Recently I have been diagnosed with a mild form of OCD. It's mostly mental (intrusive thoughts), but I'm coping well. I think it is Pure O OCD. But I just got medicine to help on Monday! It should take three weeks before I notice any major changes.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
I am so glad the forums are back.

In good news, a short story of mine was published in an anthology. I got all the rights back a couple of days ago and am planning on making it into a linked short story collection.

When last seen here, I was stuck halfway in my MG superhero book. Fast forward to now. I just got my (completed) draft back from my alpha reader and am correcting things. I plan on self-publishing it some time this year. I'm grateful that AW is back so now I can look for beta readers (because you people are the best).

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Tired. I am...very tired. Glad to have a little haven of the internet back. :)

Back in Nov-Feb, we were having a room renovated in our house, except the renovators didn't exactly follow best practices for keeping the house clean (ex: putting up plastic to keep construction dust in the immediate area). The work finished, and we thought it was done. And then my husband stopped being able to be in our house. He'd have immediate allergic reactions in the form of asthma attacks. He'd always had airborne allergies, but never this bad. We had a number of people come by to inspect air quality, he rented a hotel room for a week, and I ran my butt off cleaning and buying new air filters. Then the bottom went out of our washing machine and poured water all over our new room, so we had to scramble for a new washer. Then he got his 2nd covid shot while at the hotel and had to be hospitalized two days later for myocarditis (now a known side effect of the shot). This was all within like 5 days. Since then, our water heater and sump pump have died and my husband's transmission line in his car was cut somehow, all while we're STILL trying to find out why his allergies are being kicked off (he can actually stay in the house now, which is a marked improvement. We've replaced both the sofa and the rug in the room where the construction was and had professional cleaners go over it) and he's still dealing with the myocarditis. It would be lovely to have a month where something expensive doesn't break or we end up with an enormous credit card bill because of replacing things. Right now, it's just lovely to be able to be back with you all. We're keeping at it, we'll get to a place of stability again eventually. But right now, I am just so tired.

Writing? Hahaha.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
It's so good to have AW back. Thanks to all the techs who have worked hard getting things sorted out.

My business has been going great guns since the weather broke this Spring and I have such a backlog of work it's hard to see how I can get it all done - and more work keeps coming in. Life has gone as usual and the pandemic hasn't altered my lifestyle - I suppose I'm one of the fortunate ones. We've worked on a patio this week in spite of nasty hot weather and humidity. Starting early and quitting early have helped somewhat, but it's taken me twice as long as I had hoped to get the job done. We should finish up come Monday and then it's on to the next project.

Take care, all, and may life return to normal for all of us.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.digitalmedievalist.com
It's so good to have AW back. Thanks to all the techs who have worked hard getting things sorted out.
Thanks. There's just me and the consultant Mac and I hired to migrate and convert the database, but I'll pass on your appreciation.

Reactions: MaeZe and Snitchcat

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
Finished: 3 short stories
Still writing: 2 short stories and a novel

Read: Gideon the Ninth (boy was this fun)
Still reading: Black Sun (was excited to read it, but somehow I can't get into it)

My job is stable, I'm healthy, my game project is chugging along; I have no complaints. My sympathies go out to those who have had a hard time. Glad AW is back.

Reactions: Izz