• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

United Agents

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do think 3 chaps is too much to include in the body of an email.

In the submission guidelines, does it say they accept electronic submissions? If not, in keeping with many UK agents, they maybe only accept subs in hard copy by regular mail.

UK agents ask for a partial of syno and first chapters, unlike most US agents who ask for a query first, then for a partial, then a full.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do think 3 chaps is too much to include in the body of an email.

In the submission guidelines, does it say they accept electronic submissions? If not, in keeping with many UK agents, they maybe only accept subs in hard copy by regular mail.

UK agents ask for a partial of syno and first chapters, unlike most US agents who ask for a query first, then for a partial, then a full.

Unusually for British Agents (how much does that sound like MI-5?), they only accept e-mail submissions. I think I'll put the letter and the synopsis in the main body of the e-mail and attach the chapters. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I've got my list of UK agents and I'll go through the ones who take e-mail submissions first and then hit the snail mail trail.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I've just looked them up, which sort of cancels my previous post.

Two ways of going about this:

a) email and ask them if an attached file is okay.

b) send one anyway and say in covering email that you've attached a file.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
If you're attaching anyway, best to put syno in with the chapters, with a cover page as the first item.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
If you're attaching anyway, best to put syno in with the chapters, with a cover page as the first item.

I think you're right.

In the title field of the email I'll put something along the lines of "Synopsis and first 3 chapters attached"

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I queried them lately, fab agency (got rejected though, boo!). I attached my 3 chapters and synopsis in one Word document and that was fine. This was to Rosemary Canter. They definitely read it all and I got a response in 7 days. Impressive. If you're querying Rosemary, she luuuurves 'fabulous' query letters. Not sure how to interpret that but I guess, when UK agents usually ask for dry 3 paragraph query letters, she's more American in her style and wants a bit of va va voom? Good luck!

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
I queried them lately, fab agency (got rejected though, boo!). I attached my 3 chapters and synopsis in one Word document and that was fine. This was to Rosemary Canter. They definitely read it all and I got a response in 7 days. Impressive. If you're querying Rosemary, she luuuurves 'fabulous' query letters. Not sure how to interpret that but I guess, when UK agents usually ask for dry 3 paragraph query letters, she's more American in her style and wants a bit of va va voom? Good luck!

Cheers! Ta for the heads up. I'll give it a go when I get home.

Wonderlander

Bird In Flight
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Rosemary Canter 20/12 and was rejected yesterday, which surprised me as the website gave me the impression that if they didn't like the stuff they wouldn't respond.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
And two years later ... they look to be going gangbusters. :hat:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of querying Robert Kirby as my work is a little like Storm Constantine and I like Joe Abercrombie's work.

Instructions:

For submissions please send via email to [assistant], with a synopsis and first three chapters.

So far I've only queried a couple of American agents--is there much of a difference when approaching UK agents? I'm querying both because I'm American but I live in the UK and the publisher who has my full manuscript is in the UK.

Is it: query letter with a hook, 1-5 page synopsis, and then the first three chapters? Seems like it's rather long, though they take attachments?

Martina

Registered
Reaction score
Advice?

At some point an agent from UA had expressed interest in my writing. On January I sent him the first chapter of my novel. He replied almost immediately and said that he would get back to me within a week. A month later I sent him another email, reminding him the submission. No reply. I definately do not want to disturb, as I can understand that he is busy. Should I take this as a no? He has an excellent reputation as an agent, apparently even his rejection letters are encouraging. Perhaps I should ask his assistant? I am really confused. Any advice or suggestion is more than welcome!

Last edited:

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
I wouldn't take it as a "no".

Ordinarily, I'd say you need to wait (3 months is the "usual" time-frame recommended before nudging) but as he told you it would be a week, I'd feel free to email his assistant. IIRC The website submissions are sent to her anyway.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
They want to see works in progress? Wow.

My thought exactly. I was just checking back to see if anyone mentioned their version of "WIP" being different than the one we're used to.

British English vs American English being a wee bit confusing at times.

Last edited:

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
My thought exactly. I was just checking back to see if anyone mentioned their version of "WIP" being different than the one we're used to.

British English vs American English being a wee bit confusing at times.
I can't think of anything else they could possibly mean!
Maybe they want the chance to 'mold' (if that's the right word) the book while it's still being written? Or they think this will tempt a different cross section of people to submit. Who knows.
I'm definitely planning to send something in, though.

Glass Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.... this is certainly intriguing. I have several WIPs that I could potentially send. I wonder if you could submit for multiple categories on the respective days.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And another necro thread reminds MaeZe once again to check dates before starting at the beginning of a thread. :Wha:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I managed to put together one of my wips and submit today to the Commercial Fiction 'Open House'. I rec'd an automatic reply saying that due to the massive amount of submissions they are no longer going to reply in the stated two weeks, but between four and six. However, it also said that everyone who submits during the 'Open House' calls will receive a reply. Just an update. :)