• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Twenty First Century Publishers / C21 Books

vadim

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm trying to find information on 21 Century Publishers. Does anyone know anything about this publisher? I was only able to find their website.
THANK YOU!
vadim

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Twenty First Century Publishers, Ltd. aka C21 Books. UK-based ebook publisher.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
So -- what do others feel about the publisher? http://www.twentyfirstcenturypublishers.com/

I see no reference to royalties, but there is a fee of 10 pounds for the author to find out what personal information they are holding on file. Huh?

Is this a new scam?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like another display site for work "unfiltered by the rigidity of the publishing system"
I think we all know what that means

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like another display site for work "unfiltered by the rigidity of the publishing system"

I cannot believe they said that. That's even better than a PA quote. So does "the rigidity of the publishing system" mean they'll only post work that can't be published? Or does the "unfiltered" mean you can never have tried? PA, eat your heart out. :ROFL:

egtalbot

Heroes don't always win
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardgtalbot.com
Just following up on this publisher - has anyone had actual experience with submitting to or being published by them? They have several dozen titles available on Amazon and at least one is an author who has been published by a larger publisher as well.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Only that one book with the James Bond tie-in seem to have had any real sales. The others have sales ranks of 1 mill or greater.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I don't take it as a good sign that back in 2007, Carmy wrote:
So -- what do others feel about the publisher? http://www.twentyfirstcenturypublishers.com/

I see no reference to royalties, but there is a fee of 10 pounds for the author to find out what personal information they are holding on file. Huh?

Is this a new scam?
I don't know how new it is, but it's a scam. In fact, it's a scam just to ask people to register for your site in order to find out what personal information you have about them. Demanding a ten-pound fee for it is definitely over the line, and it's not the kind of scam that honest-but-clueless naifs stumble into. That's generally one for the professionals.

Moving on to the present day:

1. Their books have amateurish covers and editorial copy. I don't know who's responsible.

2. I've randomly sampled the first chapters of their novels. It was a lot like reading slush after the interns have removed the manuscripts written by semi-literates and schizophrenics: none of the books struck me as commercially publishable, but at least they were bad on their own terms.

One book had an opening sentence that was an unintentional oxymoron. Another book's opening line contained eleven exclamation points and one question mark. Another book had the line, "I can hear its plaintiff squeaks," on its first page. Another book was titled Sincere male seeks love and someone to wash his underpants. I assume these books were not professionally edited. I not only assume but assert that they weren't professionally copyedited.

(Note: I chose to cite the foregoing examples because they're short. They don't adequately convey the breadth and depth of the bad writing Twenty First Century Publishers has made available to the public.)

3. The site seems to be exceptionally fond of author Saif Rahman. I have no idea why.

4. I went over to Amazon and had a look at the interior pages of some of their titles. They've got some strange wording on their copyright pages. To me, it looked like the fruit of conscientious hard work by an amateur.

5. Their typesetting and interior book design are not of professional quality.

Conclusion: I don't care whether they're scammers. The significant point is that they're inept.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website hasn't been updated since last book was published in '10.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Put out a few more mid-'12, but none since.