Treatment

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

TexasPoet

When Is It Dark Enough?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TerryJudeMiller.com
When the clerk cards me for the cheap wine I’ve placed on the counter, I wonder how much more of this the face, the body will take. When cement sets and there’s no going back to trace indelible initials into the sidewalk, all that remains is moving on, the soles of my flats reporting the descent of years into the ascension of tree rings. The women who have passed this way are either wise or bitter, one saying you become another beauty, the other claiming the right to dismantle. What can’t be forgotten becomes opaque in the strong hands of my masseuse who I tip twenty dollars. Afterwards, I walk out with the star-bright pains his hands wounded into me, look for something to dull the sting of briars and scalpels. That is what the wine is for.

DarkWriter223

Registered
Reaction score
What are tree rings? Also your piece reads well, flow wise and has some subtle imagery, I don't exactly know what the story is about but it is interesting though.

Reactions: TexasPoet

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
When the clerk cards me for the cheap wine I’ve placed on the counter, I wonder how much more of this the face, the body will take. When cement sets and there’s no going back to trace indelible initials into the sidewalk, all that remains is moving on, the soles of my flats reporting the descent of years into the ascension of tree rings. The women who have passed this way are either wise or bitter, one saying you become another beauty, the other claiming the right to dismantle. What can’t be forgotten becomes opaque in the strong hands of my masseuse who I tip twenty dollars. Afterwards, I walk out with the star-bright pains his hands wounded into me, look for something to dull the sting of briars and scalpels. That is what the wine is for.
I love the varying images of aging, and the varying attitudes. So many of both.

BTW, for the under-treed, 'tree rings' are the layers of growth shown in a cross-section of a tree trunk. One per year. But the rings are also affected by the tree's environment, a bad year, a good year, a fire or other tree emergency. Much like a human life.

Reactions: TexasPoet

TexasPoet

When Is It Dark Enough?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TerryJudeMiller.com
Thanks all for the input. This poem was inspired by an Adrienne Rich poem about growing older and what we do to deal with it.

Since in the works. Thanks for the input. : )

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving