• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tracy Brown Literary Agency

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Just linking his Publishers Marketplace page. And noting that Tracy is a male name in this case - so nobody should address letters to Ms Brown.

-Barbara

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I can add to the pot is I queried him May 27 and have yet to hear back. Which isn't long at all; I'm just sayin'. :)

kvogl

Registered
Reaction score
So, did you ever hear anything from Tracy Brown?

I'm at about the 3 week mark, where you left off, and just wondering.

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
Someone ought to inform Writer's Digest about Tracy Brown's gender! Their 2009 Guide to Literary Agents says, "Prior to becoming an agent, Ms. Brown was a book editor for 25 years."

The entry also says he "does not want to receive YA, sci-fi, or romance."

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
If Agent Query lists an agent, are they usually reputable? Do they background check or is it just a lister.... I saw Tracy Browns name there but he is not a member of the AAR

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
AQ is better than most listings in weed control, but always double-check, etc., etc.

As for AAR, many good agents aren't members for whatever reason. Membership is a good sign, but lack of it isn't necessarily a bad one.

Jake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jseliger.com
I sent him a query yesterday and received an mss request today, so I can at least confirm that Mr. Brown exists and looks at his slush pile.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Has anyone queried Tracy Brown recently? PM lists only one sale, a non-fiction book on parenting, in the past 12 months. However, as an editor he acquired some very impressive titles.

Any news? Anyone?

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried my literary fiction 5/17 and got a request for a full the same day.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Queried June 4
Rejection June 5

Super fast. I've been rejected faster, but still...I'm impressed.

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know if this agent is still even active? There's been no action here for a couple years, and I'm not sure how recent his sales are. Can't tell if he's still in the business or not.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Someone on Query Tracker reported a rejection last month. Yet I wonder at the email address listed there when brownlit.com does not appear to be a working site.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just in case it's still a concern: one needn't build a site in order to use the domain for email.

The book he mentions on his PM page as forthcoming from HarperCollins is due out in Oct, so the deal was likely made early '16 or late '15.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Closed to subs late '17, no further activity. Anyone have recent contact?

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
After a decade of contacting literary agencies, I gave up completely and regard them as a total waste of time. They always say they are interested in quality writing, yet their lists of client works frequently contain subpar material. My understanding is that they decide what to represent based only on what the publisher has already said it is interested in. Thus, you have to be lucky that your story is what the publisher is interested in; otherwise, no matter how strong it is, the agent will ignore it. I eventually went to contests instead, like the CIBA's, and had much more success and got my novel, The Lone Escapist, published.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that they decide what to represent based only on what the publisher has already said it is interested in. Thus, you have to be lucky that your story is what the publisher is interested in; otherwise, no matter how strong it is, the agent will ignore it.
Well, yes. They're a business, after all. That's why you research your agent before you submit to them. It saves time all round.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that they decide what to represent based only on what the publisher has already said it is interested in. Thus, you have to be lucky that your story is what the publisher is interested in; otherwise, no matter how strong it is, the agent will ignore it.

I write romcoms. If an agent doesn't know any editors looking for romcoms, she's not going to be able to sell my book. What would be the point in that for either of us?