Total Eclipse Picnic Provisions

StormcatPaperdragon

Neurodivergent and proud!
Registered
Reaction score
I live in a city that is in the direct path of this year's total eclipse! Locals are so excited about this event, that many local businesses (including some public services) are closing for the day, so everyone can get outside and watch.

My plan is to drive down to my parent's place in the suburbs, and watch the eclipse there since they don't have too many trees to block the view. Since the eclipse itself will only last a few minutes and traffic is going to be a nightmare that day, I figured I might as well pack a picnic so we can nibble while we wait. However, I can't seem to find any good recommendations for eclipse or space-themed foods to make! The only good recommendation I've gotten is "Doughnuts with Doughnut holes of a different flavor shoved into the middle".

Any recommendations?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help with eclipse themed foods, other than to make sugar cookies and decorate them with coloured icing in pictures of stars or suns or whatever. But I will recommend recipetineats.com as a food blog with The.Best.Recipes.On.The.Planet.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about black and white foods for totality and full sun?

Black beans, dark chocolate, dark rye bread, dark coffee, purple plums, raisins
Mashed potatoes, chicken in cream sauce, fettucine alfredo, milk, vanilla pudding

If you want to go with a celestial theme: Chinese mooncakes, starfruit

Reactions: Maryn

StormcatPaperdragon

Neurodivergent and proud!
Registered
Reaction score
Devilled eggs with a bit of black food coloring in the yolk mix to represent the yellow sun turning black

oh... I forgot to mention that whatever food I make, it'll have to be vegan. My Husband has been vegan for several years now, and eating animal products at this point will most likely make him sick.

Try as I might, I have not found a vegan alternative to Deviled eggs.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
oh... I forgot to mention that whatever food I make, it'll have to be vegan. My Husband has been vegan for several years now, and eating animal products at this point will most likely make him sick.

Try as I might, I have not found a vegan alternative to Deviled eggs.
Oh. Yes, that does limit things, and I agree that deviled eggs is probably not something you could replicate. I know that the water chickpeas are canned in can be whipped and used to replicate whipped egg whites, but.... nah, not gonna work for deviled eggs.

Recipetineats.com is really good at offering veg/vegan alts to her ingredients, so I do urge you to check it out/fall down the rabbit hole/spend the rest of your life perusing her recipes.