Torn Between Two Words

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
What do you, personally, do when you're down to a stubborn choice between two words and can't make up your mind. I'm talking here about little seeming inconsequential (Yet/Still...or put the little word in or leave it out). You might be repeating each version aloud to yourself--constantly changing your mind but scared to go with the wrong choice...crossing out...putting it back in...crossing out again...You know the process, I'm sure. Do you bend to perfect meter here maybe? I find that these little choices can sometimes be maddening. How do you finally decide?

Thanks.

Reactions: DarkWriter223

Magsie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't often run into this problem. Asking someone else usually helps. You don't have to go with what they say, but it can clarify in your mind which one you'd like them to say.

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
I don't often run into this problem. Asking someone else usually helps. You don't have to go with what they say, but it can clarify in your mind which one you'd like them to say.
Interesting...thanks.

DarkWriter223

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I love this question. To be fair I would simply go with my gut and wonder if it is worth heading into the publishing gatekeepers. I always cross my lines in my poems for sure. I always though print then cross out first. I usually feel like it is ready by finding the right word that is strong enough regardless. Phew! That was a hard one.

Cochisen

Registered
Reaction score
I would say to put which ever you like the most because in the end your work is your art and it should be exactly the way you want it.

Gramps

Endless imagination brings limitless nightmares
Registered
Reaction score
I would say to put which ever you like the most because in the end your work is your art and it should be exactly the way you want it.
A learning opportunity here. Please check the date of the previous post. While some posts run on forever, poetry typically does not. This can be a good thing because it allows new poets and new poetry to emerge instead of reviving old threads.

I was guilty of this in the beginning. I think most of are as we strive to engage. Not a big problem, just something to be aware of. I still slip up every now and again.

G