Tor.com Opening to Novella Submissions

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

JJNotAbrams

Registered
Reaction score
I remember back about twenty years ago, after a personal solicitation at Viable Paradise, Sandra Macdonald (sp?) subbed to Tor. Then, each year after, she sent a birthday card to her manuscript. I think it finally galvanised them to send a response.
That is just amazing. I actually know someone with the same mindset. She said that sometimes, you need to be a pain in the ass to get what you want. That's just great.

Reactions: PastyAlien

PastyAlien

Take me to your reader
Registered
Reaction score
The restaurants at the end of the multiverse
Website
helfrich.ca
Sparverius withdrew her story when it hit 1000 days or something.
Aw, jeez. Would be nice to know what happened there (why some stories were held for so long). But I guess we'll never know.
Not a novella but I did sell a short story to Tor using the Nepotism pipeline. Fwiw, that took about a week.
Wow, I am sooooo using the wrong pipeline, heh. Congrats, Harlequin! :partyguy: That's awesome! Do you know when it's coming out?

Reactions: P.K. Torrens

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
In another year hahahahaha. Summer 2022 sometime. Gosh publishing is slow.
LOL.
Look, I know nuffin' about websites or IT or computers in general, but don't they just need to copy paste your short story onto their web-browser-input-thingy? Like how much do they need to do?
DAMN IT, TOR. GIVE US THE GOODS

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL.
Look, I know nuffin' about websites or IT or computers in general, but don't they just need to copy paste your short story onto their web-browser-input-thingy? Like how much do they need to do?
DAMN IT, TOR. GIVE US THE GOODS
Well, it has to go through editing and copyediting and proofreading and fix-the-fonting (pretty sure that's the industry standard term) and then I think they commission artwork for it. And they probably have their publication list lined up a year or two in advance.

But I agree, HURRY UP YOU LAZY SODS I WANNA READ IT!!!!!

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it has to go through editing and copyediting and proofreading and fix-the-fonting (pretty sure that's the industry standard term) and then I think they commission artwork for it. And they probably have their publication list lined up a year or two in advance.

But I agree, HURRY UP YOU LAZY SODS I WANNA READ IT!!!!!
Okay, okay. I may have simplified it just a tad… :p

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sparverius withdrew her story when it hit 1000 days or something.

Not a novella but I did sell a short story to Tor using the Nepotism pipeline. Fwiw, that took about a week.
Can you give us deets, so that we can put it on our this-decade-watchlist?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Ty all! I dont know details yet, just summer... sometime. In some ways its good, it will line up with the debut coming out shortly after. I would guess July sometime. They probably do arrange stuff well in advance, but I'm not sure.

It looks to me like not everyone they publish is a Tor author specifically so maybe if someone is agented generally or some other equivalent thing, you (general) could ask about pitching to them, not sure!

Edited to add, it will be mid June apparently. Also, Tor Dot Com still pay 25c per word for the first 5000 words which is insane lol. But they do take a lot of rights.

Last edited:

Featured Book