• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tiger Lily Publishing Co. Ltd.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*apparently has the visual acuity of a peregrine falcon* šŸ™Š

I'll see myself out.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
This isn't about their ability to publish successfully, but bloody hell this typeface is monstrous and pretty much excludes anyone who lacks the visual acuity of a peregrine falcon

WTF. That's the worst font I've ever seen used on a website.

Check out their submission letter template, though, which is easier to read. A few of the things they want to know about your submission : themes, POV, and how much editing has been done.

I also looked at their section about how to work with them. Apparently "All roles are to be done remotely as volunteers and for work experience (am happy to be a reference)". I understand that as a startup they don't have the money to pay employees, but not everyone prioritizes volunteer work when there are more pressing obligations. If I had to choose between an editor who's paid a salary and one who's doing it for the love, I'd pick the former every time.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The staff are all very young and, while a couple have academic qualifications in publishing, there is no experience with publishers listed.

Reactions: Maryn

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"...founded in 2022..."

Run. Don't look back. Check again in 2024 or 2025 for a track record and legitimate sales.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No need to run due to how recently they opened, just put a pin in it and see where they are in a year or two. It sounds (from the research others have reported) that they opened with the best of intentions, but "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". Depending on their contract (and I've heard of some bad ones) they could derail an entire career.

If there's a reason to run it's that their "staff" is all volunteers. Yikes.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
With such a new, tiny publisher, the question is what exactly can they offer you and your book? You could self publish and use volunteers to edit your work, as they intend to do. At least you would know who your volunteers actually are. You also get to keep 100% of your royalties if you self publish.

This is from their Instagram:

"With a focus on fantasy and creating a safe environment in the books and community we bring to life and create for the reading ages of 12 and 28 [and for those who also enjoy reading those too]."

I don't understand this sentence...? And what is wrong with 29-year-olds? Why is the cut off 28?

From another post: "We are wanting to be a home of a variety of fantasy books for ages 12-28."

This does not give off professional vibes. Kudos to them for trying, but maybe stick to publishing work of their own and their friends before saying they are a publisher open to submissions. It feels like this is being run by well-meaning teenagers who still have a lot to learn.

There are odd sentences (like examples above) all over their website and social media, as if English is not their first language? But apparently the founder has an MA in Publishing? Although...anyone can type that into a bio box...

The font they have chosen for the main body of their blog posts makes me worry about their future book covers.