The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I can think of maybe two shorts that I've known I've got right immediately. Great feeling, wish it could be bottled :D

Mostly, probably because I write fast and messy, the little blighters need time to mature. Or more accurately, I need time so I can see what is and isn't part of the story :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
lol, I'm the opposite, a slow writer. I cut as I go--that's usually the first thing I do when I sit down, cut some (or all!) of what I wrote the day before, so my end zone is more adding in another layer or three than cutting. 😂

Reactions: Izz

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I am a very messy first drafter. It's more obvious in my novels than my short stories though.

Which, as I have decided to enter Pitchwars (a novel thing) and have turned my attention to finishing some cleaning up in the novel, I am back in the definitely not going to finish my short. But I guess a sub to Pitchwars is still a sub.

Reactions: Izz and ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely still a sub--but a different momentum. Good luck in Pitchwars!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Still waiting on my first R of this W1S1 campaign. I'm sure I'll get it this week as it's already past average waiting time at the market. I'll have the second story out before the end of the month, too. Back on the merry-go-round!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting on my first R of this W1S1 campaign. I'm sure I'll get it this week as it's already past average waiting time at the market. I'll have the second story out before the end of the month, too. Back on the merry-go-round!
Could be a yes!
I got one R last week, waiting on several others, hoping I'll hear from at least one this week).

Thinking about my next story. Does anyone have any recs for shorts that have a chosen one theme?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Could be a yes!
That's always a possibility - though very faint in this case, I think :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I got one R last week, waiting on several others, hoping I'll hear from at least one this week).
How many shorts do you have out in circulation at the moment?
Thinking about my next story. Does anyone have any recs for shorts that have a chosen one theme?
Hmm - can't think of any of the top of my head but I'll give it some thought!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
3 out. 1 by its lonesome to a mag that doesn't like simultaneous subs :rolleyes: and 2 out at a few places each.

*Thank you, if you think of any I'd appreciate it!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
3 out. 1 by its lonesome to a mag that doesn't like simultaneous subs :rolleyes: and 2 out at a few places each.
I still tend to shy away from simultaneous subs. My wee brain can't handle them! 🤯

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've started a new short, the prompt being: monk, blank, begin.

I was hoping to roll out a piece of flash so as to have a story to edit and send out next month but this ain't gonna be that. 650 words in so far, and I haven't really used any of those prompt thoughts yet. I have thrown in historical figures, though, which is probably a recipe for disaster for me. Still most definitely spec fic, though.

And, as always, I can't help but think how I have no idea how my story-brain works...

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Boo for rejections (and potential rejections but yay for potentials acceptances!).

Can't help with chosen one stories, sorry. I'm not even sure what counts as chosen one these days (do they still have to be literally chosen? or do they just have to be powerful without having had to work for it?).

Got an acceptance for a flash piece so yay!

Reactions: ap123 and Izz

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I still tend to shy away from simultaneous subs. My wee brain can't handle them! 🤯
That's how I feel about NO simultaneous subs, lol! You are good, starting on your next story already. My next story is still brewing in the way back of my brain.

why have I still not figured out how to multi quote on these new forums? 😭

Tamlyn: Congrats on the acceptance! :snoopy:If it's an online mag, tap me when it comes out and I'll make some noise on Twitter, if you'd like. My following is small, but lots of flash folks. :) Yes, I'm looking for literal chosen one shorts. The idea I've got is a riff/twist of a chosen one trope, but I'm not super familiar with these, so I'm trying to do a bit of research.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
That's how I feel about NO simultaneous subs, lol! You are good, starting on your next story already. My next story is still brewing in the way back of my brain.
For short stories I tend to rush in without thinking lol
It wouldn't be totally surprising if most of those first 650 words don't make it to the story's final form
why have I still not figured out how to multi quote on these new forums? 😭
Once you click Reply on the first post you want to quote you can then click Reply on the next post and both should show up in the reply box :)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
For short stories I tend to rush in without thinking lol
It wouldn't be totally surprising if most of those first 650 words don't make it to the story's final form

Once you click Reply on the first post you want to quote you can then click Reply on the next post and both should show up in the reply box :)
I don't rush in to a grocery list without obsessing first. 😄😓

Thank you for the multi-quote info!

• Haha

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Got my September sub out the door yesterday. Also put more words on new short story. Need to spend my writing time today outlining next novel, though. I'd hoped to be started on the novel draft by the 1st of October but that's not going to happen :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Tamlyn and ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Got my September sub out the door yesterday. Also put more words on new short story. Need to spend my writing time today outlining next novel, though. I'd hoped to be started on the novel draft by the 1st of October but that's not going to happen :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Great work, Izz!

I have accomplished nothing. Realizing this morning I'm just not in the right head space to start the next story yet.

• Hug
Reactions: Izz and Tamlyn

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Izz!

I subbed my novel to Pitchwars, so that's the September (it took me three goes to get the month right...) sub done. Now I expect I will not get any requests at all.

At least I can focus on some shorts (...or a short) next month now.

Reactions: Izz and ap123

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I have accomplished nothing. Realizing this morning I'm just not in the right head space to start the next story yet.
Well, how about this angle: realizing you're not in the right head space is still an accomplishment. Means you've got perspective rather than whacking yourself about trying to force something you're not ready to do yet :)
Yay, Izz!

I subbed my novel to Pitchwars, so that's the September (it took me three goes to get the month right...) sub done. Now I expect I will not get any requests at all.

At least I can focus on some shorts (...or a short) next month now.
Nicely done, Tamyln! :Thumbs::Trophy:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
First rejection received this morning. Now I properly feel like a short story writer again :D
It's been a long while since I've been in the game but I think it was an second-tier form ('story didn't work as well for me as I'd hoped, best of luck finding right home, hope you'll keep us in mind for future stories, etc').

Reactions: Tamlyn and ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R, Izz, but yes! now you're back in the game. Did you send it back out yet? :)

And wow, 3 stories at once? I have so much admiration for that!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Sorry about the R, Izz, but yes! now you're back in the game. Did you send it back out yet? :)
Yep :) Got an R for story #2 this morning as well; it's also back out in the wilds.
And wow, 3 stories at once? I have so much admiration for that!
Heh - to clarify, this isn't because I'm a good multitasker (I'm a terrible multitasker). The process goes more like this: start story A, make progress but not really feeling it so start story B. Make progress, not really feeling it, so start story C. And so on... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Yep :) Got an R for story #2 this morning as well; it's also back out in the wilds.

Heh - to clarify, this isn't because I'm a good multitasker (I'm a terrible multitasker). The process goes more like this: start story A, make progress but not really feeling it so start story B. Make progress, not really feeling it, so start story C. And so on... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Look at you go! I'm itching to get a few Rs back so I can feel justified in new subs, lol.
And still, your process is way more productive than mine. I'm obsessive as I write each story, so when I'm stuck, I'm stuck. 😂😭