The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Just typed END on my current novel WIP! :banana: :snoopy: The first draft of Spider's Hub weighs in at a touch over 96,000 words. Now to let it cool off in the fridge for a few months...

Reactions: Tamlyn and ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Just typed END on my current novel WIP! :banana: :snoopy: The first draft of Spider's Hub weighs in at a touch over 96,000 words. Now to let it cool off in the fridge for a few months...
Whee! Big congrats, always such a great moment!! :partyguy::Cake:

Reactions: Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Whee! Big congrats, always such a great moment!! :partyguy::Cake:
Thank you!

I've got that funny in-between feeling today. Basking in the blow of having finished a whole novel draft (!!) but also aware that I've got plenty else writing-wise I should be doing (!!). Final edits on Bil'Tross need doing before I shove it out into the world in November, and I have several novel ideas to outline, plus two short stories to work on.

I've been procrastinating starting on the new projects by trying to figure out a metaphor/simile for how I'm feeling :p. Hmm... it's kinda like I've just won a road race, and want to do a victory lap or two, nice and slow, but I also have other races starting nearly immediately so need to keep my speed up to get a good start on one of those... Or something. I'll keep working on it ;)

Reactions: ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I know that feeling, Izz. I usually find I need some days before refocusing on the next project. The trap for me is some days begin to streeeeeeetch.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I hear ya!

I did start final edits on Bil'Tross. Am a whole 8 pages in :ROFLMAO:
I'm also editing a short story I wrote back in 2017. Hoping for that to be my first sub in this round of W1S1.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I edited a second line!!

I'm not sure why I'm struggling to so much to get into this story. I picked it from my drafts folder because I reread it and thought yep, I can work with that. Maybe it's just because I'm feeling very reluctant to any 'real' work at all (as opposed to my intricate slice of life post apoc story).

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I edited a second line!!
woot! :banana:
I'm not sure why I'm struggling to so much to get into this story. I picked it from my drafts folder because I reread it and thought yep, I can work with that. Maybe it's just because I'm feeling very reluctant to any 'real' work at all (as opposed to my intricate slice of life post apoc story).
Maybe you need to lock yourself in a room with the story and no internet access for a couple hours to see what happens? :D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Argh, just sent off my first submission in years! I'd forgotten how nerve-wracking that is :eek:

Reactions: Tamlyn

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't a sub until you've checked the status 4,862 times! 😂

Best of luck with this, Izz:)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
It isn't a sub until you've checked the status 4,862 times! 😂

Best of luck with this, Izz:)
Thanks! Though I'm fully expecting a big R. I'm just happy to be getting back in the subbing routine :D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Have started first editing run on last month's short story, tentatively titled 'A Question of Returns.' It's 4200 words at the moment but we'll see what it looks like once the dust settles :e2chain:

Reactions: Tamlyn

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I finished the first pass on my story! I'm actually optimistic about getting it finished this month now.

Reactions: ap123 and Izz

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Still struggling to finish. Not sure if there's something off in this character/story so I'm stuck, or if I'm stuck on this story because I'm stuck in why-bother land.

• Sad
Reactions: Tamlyn and Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Still struggling to finish. Not sure if there's something off in this character/story so I'm stuck, or if I'm stuck on this story because I'm stuck in why-bother land.
Would some cheering on help?
:TheWave:
Maybe try another project for a week or two? This might be one of those stories that takes a year to write but blows everyone away when it's finally finished :)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Would some cheering on help?
:TheWave:
Maybe try another project for a week or two? This might be one of those stories that takes a year to write but blows everyone away when it's finally finished :)
Thank you for the cheer :Hug2:Alas I am revoltingly linear in how I write, switching to another project never works for me.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Have nearly finished the first editing pass on 'A Question of Returns.' Story started at about 4200 words and is now down to 3100 words... It's dropped a quarter of its body weight so far!

Reactions: ap123 and Tamlyn

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
ok, ok, I finished the stupid story. 3600 words, I'll see what it looks like when I can open the file without cringing.

Reactions: Tamlyn and Izz

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

Did you finish your editing on that story yet, Izz?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thank you!

Did you finish your editing on that story yet, Izz?
Today, hopefully! Still sitting just below 3100 words. I'm debating whether to sub as soon as I finish edits or let it sit for another week and give it a final readthrough and get it out the door just before the end of the month...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Edits finished! Got it down to under 3K. 2990, to be exact. In further terms of exactness, when I started edits the story was 4182 words. So that's a whole 1192 words chopped (not to mention the other rearranging/adding stuff that goes with editing). Imma let it sit until next week for a final lookover before I send it out :)

Reactions: Tamlyn and ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Edits finished! Got it down to under 3K. 2990, to be exact. In further terms of exactness, when I started edits the story was 4182 words. So that's a whole 1192 words chopped (not to mention the other rearranging/adding stuff that goes with editing). Imma let it sit until next week for a final lookover before I send it out :)
Go you! Makes sense to leave it for a bit. I'm letting mine sit and stew for a bit also.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Go you! Makes sense to leave it for a bit. I'm letting mine sit and stew for a bit also.
The stewing is pretty important, imo. How long do you usually let them sit for?

Did a little more on the story yesterday. Ended up adding a few words but it's still under 3K. I think I'll look at it one last time in a week and then get it on out into the universe :alien:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
The stewing is pretty important, imo. How long do you usually let them sit for?

Did a little more on the story yesterday. Ended up adding a few words but it's still under 3K. I think I'll look at it one last time in a week and then get it on out into the universe :alien:
I don't have a hard and fast time limit. Sometimes I just know I've got it right, send it to a couple of betas to make sure I'm not deluding myself, and then send it off once I hear back.

Other times I sit with it for a month or two, maybe send to just one place and then let it sit again. The one I just finished I'm not sure yet.