The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope to soon be able to write and submit one short story each month. I currently only have one story and a handful of poems out on submission, but I currently have 3 (or is it 4?) short stories in progress in various states of completion, for the exact same reason as Izz. I was making good progress until the birth of my son in July, but I’m getting back into it now that he lets me sleep a tiny bit more. I hope to finish them all and have 5 stories in circulation by the end of the year.

Reactions: ap123 and Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I hope to soon be able to write and submit one short story each month. I currently only have one story and a handful of poems out on submission, but I currently have 3 (or is it 4?) short stories in progress in various states of completion, for the exact same reason as Izz. I was making good progress until the birth of my son in July, but I’m getting back into it now that he lets me sleep a tiny bit more. I hope to finish them all and have 5 stories in circulation by the end of the year.
Hey, hey, hey, welcome to the partay! :partyguy: :partyguy:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So... I haven't worked on any of the 3 short stories I've got on the go since I posted that I've got 3 short stories on the go :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Been trying to finish the outline and worldbuilding notes for next novel. My outlines are typically like mini-drafts - mini, very, very messy drafts - and this one's over 21K already. I'm nearly at the end, though.

Reactions: ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
So... I haven't worked on any of the 3 short stories I've got on the go since I posted that I've got 3 short stories on the go :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Been trying to finish the outline and worldbuilding notes for next novel. My outlines are typically like mini-drafts - mini, very, very messy drafts - and this one's over 21K already. I'm nearly at the end, though.
Wow, you've gotten a lot accomplished! Maybe you'll go back to the shorts when the outline is finished.
I am still writing my W.I.P, just 20k more words to go and I am finished. Then it's off to drafting.
Hi DarkWriter, welcome. Your end is in sight, nice!

I've gotten no writing done the past few days, which is ok. Or it would be, if I weren't watching my Submittable page not budge. :Headbang:

Reactions: Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I am still writing my W.I.P, just 20k more words to go and I am finished. Then it's off to drafting.
Noice! And welcome to the W1S1 room!
Wow, you've gotten a lot accomplished! Maybe you'll go back to the shorts when the outline is finished.
I've been working on the outline for a while. Started it several months ago, actually, before the first draft of Last Novel, and have spent the last 3 weeks stabbing at it, too.
I've gotten no writing done the past few days, which is ok. Or it would be, if I weren't watching my Submittable page not budge. :Headbang:
Those pages are a bit like kettles. As soon as you stop watching something is bound to happen :D

Reactions: DarkWriter223

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on the outline for a while. Started it several months ago, actually, before the first draft of Last Novel, and have spent the last 3 weeks stabbing at it, too.

Those pages are a bit like kettles. As soon as you stop watching something is bound to happen :D
Ah, now I have a clearer picture, I was thinking the outline was all these past weeks.

I'm not good at not watching. If I only have one or two out, fine, but once I get a bunch of those suckers spinning...😂

• Haha

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Ah, now I have a clearer picture, I was thinking the outline was all these past weeks.
The outline's finished up now - apart from a read-through sometime this week - but I still have some other worldbuilding stuffs to do: some character descriptions/summations, general universe notes, and a couple of maps. Ugh! I hate making maps!
I'm not good at not watching. If I only have one or two out, fine, but once I get a bunch of those suckers spinning...😂
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

In other news: Miltan Epsilon, the first book in the Jazz Healy series, is being featured in today's Freebooksy newsletter as a Science Fiction Editorial pick. Which is cool. I put Miltan Epsilon up for consideration a few months back but certainly didn't expect to get picked, and especially not after I paid for a Freebooksy promotion at the start of August as I imagined one cancelled the other out. So imagine my surprise when I got an email this morning saying I was being featured in today's newsletter!

To clarify: an editorial pick gets featured for free on the newsletter but not on the website for that day or in the social media posts (iirc). A paid slot gets featured everywhere.

For any self-pubbers lurking in the thread, I highly recommend Freebooksy as a promotional service. The paid slot does cost, of course (though not as much as others), but seems to yield good results. Had a huge amount of downloads of the free book during the August promotion, and got a few reviews from it across Amazon and Goodreads, but even more than that, it helped me get a foothold on Google Play, and since then I've been getting more downloads there (free and paid) than I have on Amazon. I'm not talking pay the bills kind of stuff (across any of the platforms) but enough to cover the cost of the paid promotion.

As a general note: Freebooksy claims to have more than 500,000 readers signed up for free book news across its various platforms (with a reach of 180,000 for an SF author like myself).

Reactions: Tamlyn

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
This is wonderful, Izz--congratulations!! :snoopy:

I hope the feature brings you new sales and many new readers!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

Black and white winter scene with evergreens in the snow, and a house