The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*runs in and huggles everything and everybody*

Wow, hard to believe we haven't been here since January! I'm grateful for the AW Discord server or I would have felt seriously disconnected from this wonderful community. <3

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Is it back?

It's back...

Been hanging out at the Discord servers during the outage. Not a ton goin' on; still can't get a story finished or subbed to save my life, still coping with Family being Family, still stuck in a hole of a job with no visible escape method... Did eventually manage to land a COVID vaccine, though. So the whole family is as protected as science can manage at the moment. (Still wearing my mask, though, even though some stores allow vaccinated people to go without... am waiting for a wider all-clear. At this point, it's about courtesy and other people, and doing my little part to send the message that, yes, masks matter.)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Whoooo, I can't believe it's been half a year. It feels SO good to be back here. All the love, chocolate and happy feelings for the admins and hamsters who made it happen.

I missed you guys. Discord did take the edge of things but it is stil nice to have the forums back.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap.
He drew a deep breath. ‘Well, I’m back,’ he said.

I missed you guys so much! I hope your year's been going well.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been slowly and consistently writing again to an extent I haven't been able to in years. I've even finished and submitted a few short stories and poems that are now making the rounds. Right now I'm trying to finish polishing up a story for a certain themed market whose current submission period ends tomorrow night. Hopefully they like this story. Otherwise I won't be able to submit it for a while because all of this market's rejected stories will be making the rounds at other decidedly non-themed markets all at the same time. It's okay though. By the time it's safe to do that I should have plenty of other stories already out on submission.

Reactions: MaeZe

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My plot bunnies all look a little dusty these days...

Wanderin' through on a rainy Sunday evening. (Rain... when the day is clearly called "Sunday".... Looks like I'm going to have to write yet another letter to someone, complaining about this blatant instance of false advertising.) I already made my weekend transcription earnings goal (been transcribing through Rev on weekends, aiming for about 20 - 30 bucks a weekend), so I think I'll either watch something or go back to poking a story that was showing some signs of life.

The sibling goes in for minor surgery this Wednesday; some benign fatty lump thing they're removing. She's been complaining of it for three years, and all the sudden they decided it needs removing right now; didn't even know she was getting surgery until Thursday, and I had to scramble to get Wednesday off to drive her. (She's getting very conflicting info on whether it's even grown or not, and is understandably annoyed.) So things are a little extra stressful. She's never had surgery before, and flusters easily over ordinary things.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I hope your sister's surgery goes well, BD.

I suspect all my plot bunnies have dug under the fence and went looking for greener grass. Jerks.

• Haha
Reactions: MaeZe

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Happy to report that my homebound paternal aunt and uncle were able to get someone from their local pharmacy to give them their first Covid vaccine shot. Even though they're unable to leave their house right now they have a family member buying groceries for them and various medical and service providers coming in off and on, so it's important they get it, too. Hope neither of them have a major reaction when they get the second one because they both don't feel good most of the time anyway, but at least it will be temporary if they do.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
We're back! Yaaay! I just came from a roleplaying session! And I've got a job! My computer has fallen in love with the letter p and sometimes just writes a string of them or inserts extras wherever it wants to! I'm excited to be back!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Meeerrrgghh... what is it about hospitals that drains energy, even when you're not the "guest of honor"?

Anyway, today (Wednesday) was the sibling's surgery day, which started off with us getting there for check in way too early - because an emergency had bumped the surgery back over an hour. But they still took her back for pre-surgery check in stuff at the time she'd been told. So I sat with her for nearly two hours until they wheeled her off for surgery proper, then ran over to a Safeway that's almost next door to the hospital for some quick grocery shopping I needed to do (grabbing myself something to nuke for lunch, on the theory I'd be home by about noon.) The surgery itself went well evidently; she spent longer in pre-op and recovery than actually under the knife. (And they said they were just going to do light sedation, but ended up knocking her out, but not the deep-out where you need intubation.) And then I had to wait half an hour for the pharmacy to fill the painkiller prescription... Anyway, didn't get home until afternoon. Am tired (though not as tired as the sibling; so far the pain hasn't caught up I don't think, and hopefully it stays that way). But at least I started a couple decent reads while waiting. (Had the Kindle out when waiting in pre-op, because it was easier to pick up and put down, and a paperback in the waiting room during the actual surgery.)

And, yes, even though I got home later than expected, I had my danged lunch. Because I'd earned that lunch...

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I don't think I've ever had what you'd call a "great" hospital visit. Some may have been more tolerable, but there's no such thing as a comfortable waiting area. *sigh*

Glad to hear things seemed to go well and here's to a quick recovery.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I know how that is, BD. When mom had her foot surgery in February dad and I just sat in the car (because The Virus made it so we weren't allowed inside) for nearly 7 hours and were still exhausted by the time we got home. Dad sat with mom in the bedroom to eat supper and I just curled up on the recliner with my salad, watched Ratatouille, and did absolutely nothing. I usually get twitchy if I don't craft while watching a movie, so you know I was tired.

I hope the sibling recovers quickly.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Traipsin' through on Thursday evening, don't mind me...

Sibling still seems to be doing okay, if somewhat sore (as expected.)

On the plus side, having spent yesterday sitting at a hospital, work today just flew by. Still draining, but not as draining as the waiting room...

Speaking of drained, I don't think I have words in the tank, though I really need to poke a half-finished story, lest it fall by the wayside and be left, unfinished, in the ditch like so many of its kin. Maybe I can at least open the file... I can do that much, before the just-too-warm-to-be-pleasant evening saps the last of my oomph.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Counting down the days until my first shot. Sssoon, my preciouss... Learned that a family friend is in hospital posibly with a vaccine-induced blood cloth, which is... sobering when you're still waiting for your own shot and knowing you have been under the weather after pretty much every vaccine you ever had in the past.

Still, COVID scares me more.

Met up with a friend for the first time since the pandemic. She doesn't do social media, calls or emails so we really had a LOT of catching up to do. Most talking I did in two years, I was actually hoarse the next day! But so worth it.

Getting the parents sorted for their summer trip. Tests booked, vaccine certification applied for, signed statements of declaring no COVID symptoms downloaded, never mind the actual trip itself! My vaccine invitation came too late for me to join them but we've booked a trip in September which, weatherwise, will likely suit me better and which will hopefully find the world in slightly better place.

All in all I feel like I'm happier than I've felt for a long while.

Happy to report that my homebound paternal aunt and uncle were able to get someone from their local pharmacy to give them their first Covid vaccine shot. Even though they're unable to leave their house right now they have a family member buying groceries for them and various medical and service providers coming in off and on, so it's important they get it, too. Hope neither of them have a major reaction when they get the second one because they both don't feel good most of the time anyway, but at least it will be temporary if they do.

Yay for more family getting their shot! May their side effects be few and swiftly passed.

Over here they're prioritising the J&J vaccine for people with medical conditions who have difficulty leaving their home to get the shot. Would have been handy for them too.

We're back! Yaaay! I just came from a roleplaying session! And I've got a job! My computer has fallen in love with the letter p and sometimes just writes a string of them or inserts extras wherever it wants to! I'm excited to be back!
Yaaay! Go, rel!
Meeerrrgghh... what is it about hospitals that drains energy, even when you're not the "guest of honor"?
Buggered if I know, but it is for some reason. :Hug2:

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yay for more family getting their shot! May their side effects be few and swiftly passed.

Over here they're prioritising the J&J vaccine for people with medical conditions who have difficulty leaving their home to get the shot. Would have been handy for them too.
(Wow, I love the new multi-quote set up!) They actually had a choice of vaccine, which they didn't initially think they'd have, and chose Moderna since it's what my parents and I got and everything we've read indicates that it seems to be the safest. Neither one was particularly thrilled with the idea of the J&J clot risk. They've spent enough time in hospitals in recent years as it is...
Helloooooo? Anybody home?

Lots of dust bunnies around here......
JUNELY!!!!!!!!!!! *tackle hugs because the internet doesn't require social distancing* How are ya? :greenie

Reactions: jallenecs

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Oh hey, Junely! I was hoping we'd see you again? How are things?
(Wow, I love the new multi-quote set up!) They actually had a choice of vaccine, which they didn't initially think they'd have, and chose Moderna since it's what my parents and I got and everything we've read indicates that it seems to be the safest. Neither one was particularly thrilled with the idea of the J&J clot risk. They've spent enough time in hospitals in recent years as it is...
I keep forgetting about Moderna because my country didn't order much of them. Seems like the best choice then, and good that they got to make that choice.

Reactions: jallenecs

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
JUNELY!!!!!!!!!!! *tackle hugs because the internet doesn't require social distancing* How are ya? :greenie

Oh hey, Junely! I was hoping we'd see you again? How are things?
Hi, guys! I'm doing pretty good. One of the nice things about being chronically ill. Everybody else spent a year freaking out about quarantine, losing their minds about being cooped up. I'm like, "Pfft, must be Tuesday." Okay, I did not like closing down churches, that sucked hard. But the rest, tough but not unbearable.

So I've been keeping busy. Had two weddings during The Big Q. Elder Son got married to a lovely girl (we're not discussing Wife #1. He's being an adult about it; I'm still cheesed off). And, just last week, Younger Daughter married a charming young man. He's not a Southerner, precisely (does Oklahoma count?), but we're not holding that against him. Elder Daughter and I tag-teamed making her dress, and believe it or not, I handled all the catering (it wasnt that shocking, her theme was Summer Picnic. Sandwiches and salad for forty people was a lot, but not impossible).

Slow but steady chugging on the writing front. Still clinging to my goal of Writing is Fun, and succeeding, actually! Working on a cycle of short stories, which have been making me giggle fairly consistently.

What about all y'all? Setting the multiverse afire with your breathless prose?

Reactions: Friendly Frog

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
*eyes dust bunnies suspiciously, in case they're the reason the place is so empty*

Wanderin' through on Saturday, trying to find my ambition to do something more useful than stare at the wall. Not that the wall isn't fascinating, of course... My big achievement for the day is mopping the room. Well, the floor part of the room, at least. Slowly finishing off lunch, after which I should at least open a story file. I have one that's not going too bad; I just need to get the next scene finished. And the one after started... and finished. Though I'm pretty sure that one's the last one if the arc goes the way I intend it to. (Actually, I already know it's going to need some revisions, but I have to get to the end before I loop back and do that.)

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hi, guys! I'm doing pretty good. One of the nice things about being chronically ill. Everybody else spent a year freaking out about quarantine, losing their minds about being cooped up. I'm like, "Pfft, must be Tuesday." Okay, I did not like closing down churches, that sucked hard. But the rest, tough but not unbearable.

So I've been keeping busy. Had two weddings during The Big Q. Elder Son got married to a lovely girl (we're not discussing Wife #1. He's being an adult about it; I'm still cheesed off). And, just last week, Younger Daughter married a charming young man. He's not a Southerner, precisely (does Oklahoma count?), but we're not holding that against him. Elder Daughter and I tag-teamed making her dress, and believe it or not, I handled all the catering (it wasnt that shocking, her theme was Summer Picnic. Sandwiches and salad for forty people was a lot, but not impossible).

Slow but steady chugging on the writing front. Still clinging to my goal of Writing is Fun, and succeeding, actually! Working on a cycle of short stories, which have been making me giggle fairly consistently.

What about all y'all? Setting the multiverse afire with your breathless prose?
Congrats on the weddings! Wow, that's a lot of food.

I don't know about setting the multiverse afire, but I did finish my portal fantasy last year and have been hard at work self-editing it and going over it with my crit group. I'm officially over halfway through my first round of edits now. There will be more edits to come, of course, but I already feel like it's better than it was.

ION: Haha, I figured out how to put my Etsy shop as my website under my avatar (because really, that's the only "website" I have at this point.) Next on the list: World domination.

Today being Father's Day, I gave Dad a card. He's one of those dads who doesn't want or need anything but his family being safe and happy, so that's pretty much all there is to do every year. The only difference between Father's Day and his birthday is cake.

Virtual crit group is tonight and Facebutt... I mean Facebook... up and decided about a month ago that I don't get the "join room" button on our group's page anymore. Last time, I didn't even get a notification that our leader had opened the room to be able to join that way, and even the group trying to link me to the room didn't work because FB said the room didn't exist. I have no idea why this happened. Everything else I use on there still works. It appears I could even go live by myself on the group page if I wanted to. I just can't join a video room. I did write a complaint to the tech department with screenshots attached, but of course FB hasn't responded or done anything about it. So the group is using Zoom tonight instead. Dumb Facebook.