The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Yeah, I think Ocean Shores is basically going to be a death trap if/when the Bad Thing happens, what with having only one way in and out on that looong spit of sandy land... yet more and more people keep packin' in. Wouldn't even take a tsunami to do it, just enough storms to mess up the road, singular. (Long Beach is also not a place I'd want to be.)

And boo for idiotic "experts" and couch climbing issues!

Okay, finally got the site stuff done (yes, should've taken a fraction of the time, but I also had to deal with dinner and dishes and I was admittedly dragging my metaphoric heels). Need to do the evening diesel check and get Dad set up for the nightly call, then open the danged Sisyphus file and make something happen. Even a rambling and pointless and terrible something. Just... something. I won't let myself watch anything until I get a draft done, and there are things I want to watch/rewatch. (I'm hearing great things about Netflix's Lockwood & Co., and I really liked the two books of it I've read - Jonathan Stroud, MG/YA, alt-London where kids and teens are forced to fight deadly ghosts that adults know are there but often can't see. And of course I need to get my Expanse rewatch goin' on at some point...)

Reactions: Friendly Frog

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Cleaned room. Fed cat. Cleaned spare room. Fed cat. Cleaned bathroom, twinged a shoulder muscle. Fed Cat. Called it a day. Went for a walk. Fed cat.

Well, my day was nothing if not predictable. Luckily the sore muscle sorted itself out overnight.

I appreciate the suggestions, but the lab mix is the most intelligent and strong-willed dog we've ever had, and I and my parents have owned dogs continuously throughout our entire lives.
Yeah, the moment you notice your pet is either smarter or more stubborn than you is the moment you know you're in trouble. Since any training always hinges on some goodwill from the pet in question, it can become a right slog in those circumstances.

I hope you can find something that helps.

*can't help but snigger at "inflatable doughnut of depression"*

Reactions: CWNitz

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hooray for predictable days! (But did you feed the cat?)

Sunday morning, and an unexpected light frost last night. It was supposed to freeze Monday night, not Saturday night. This is not a good sign for the accuracy of the week's forecast...

Today's plans are minimal, save at some point helping move the last (?) obstacle between us and ordering the new furnace tank. I'm sure more obstacles will miraculously appear, because always. Also have to run the recycle bin down the lane today, at which point I intend to fetch yesterday's mail, because I am that lazy. Oh, and Mom also has a couple bills that need paying so we can mail them tomorrow. (Tomorrow is also Dad's INR recheck. Tomorrow will be Not Fun.)

Otherwise, my plan/hope/desperate prayer to the forgotten gods and elder entities is to do Something about Sisyphus. Last night was a total wash, unfortunately.

Reactions: CWNitz

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
Yeah, the moment you notice your pet is either smarter or more stubborn than you is the moment you know you're in trouble. Since any training always hinges on some goodwill from the pet in question, it can become a right slog in those circumstances.
Yeah. In those training videos in which you teach the dog to "leave it", you first convince the dog to drop whatever they took in exchange for a treat. They always drop the Thing nicely in front of the trainer.

My dog will:
  • Carefully place the Thing behind her so she can get the treat, grab the Thing and run away.
  • Refuse to drop the Thing if I don't explicitely show the treat.
  • Refuse to drop the Thing if the treat is not of adequate value (ten kibbles yes, three kibbles no).
  • Pretend to lay down but stay above ground so she can grab the Thing fast enough.
  • Pretend to drop the Thing but keep it in mouth.
I swear, every time she manages to steal a roll of TP, it's like a hostage situation.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Pets, man... *shakes head*

Hooray for predictable days! (But did you feed the cat?)
Heh, It's starting to feel like all I am doing is feeding the cat...

But then the sneaky feline slipped away for a snooze this afternoon and it took us three hours to find our sleeping beauty. So many spots in this house where a cat can be as good as invisible. And he keeps changing spots lately, almost like he doesn't like getting food shoved down his throat every two hours. (That makes two of us, Junior Cat, that makes two of us.)

May a new furnace tank and a finished Sisyphus story appear in your near future.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for cunning canids and secret snoozing spots!

Hooray for alliteracy!

Sunday evening, and I was finally putting a few tentative words in Sisyphus when I had to stop to deal with dinner. And relatives. And relatives yelling about dinner. And dishes. And more relatives. And trash. And yet more relatives. And taking an evening shower so I don't have to do that tomorrow (because tomorrow I have to haul the trash down the road Very Early and take Dad to his INR shortly thereafter, and I might have to scrape windshields and thaw the car even though the weather says maybe not).

And tonight I still have to deal with Mom's bills (I'm the designated check writer, because the sight of a checkbook and numbers sends Mom into a worse anxiety spiral than usual, to the point where she won't even learn how to write a check) and deal with Dad's phone stuff.

Somewhere in there I might get back to Sisyphus, but the momentum's broken so it would probably be a waste of time.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yeah. In those training videos in which you teach the dog to "leave it", you first convince the dog to drop whatever they took in exchange for a treat. They always drop the Thing nicely in front of the trainer.

My dog will:
  • Carefully place the Thing behind her so she can get the treat, grab the Thing and run away.
  • Refuse to drop the Thing if I don't explicitely show the treat.
  • Refuse to drop the Thing if the treat is not of adequate value (ten kibbles yes, three kibbles no).
  • Pretend to lay down but stay above ground so she can grab the Thing fast enough.
  • Pretend to drop the Thing but keep it in mouth.
I swear, every time she manages to steal a roll of TP, it's like a hostage situation.
Yeah, we've found that "leave it" only works *before* it's in da lab mix's mouth and we have to be loud and firm. I have started teaching her "drop it" for things that are already in her mouth, ("tradesies" also works) but contrary to the trainers that claim you should work to get the dog to do it sans treats, I've yet to meet one that will actually give up a fun object without incentive. Thankfully, she really likes the "BilJac" brand "LittleJacks" you can get from Petsmart that are these somewhat stinky but fingernail-sized treats, so we don't have to give her a ton of anything. Unless it's something super valuable and fun, then we may have to escalate to a MilkBone GravyBone. Shaking the GravyBones box also works great for calling her in when she's going berserk about something outside, and she sits most excellently for her treat when she gets back in, but we've mostly been able to train her to come when called without treats.

It rained steadily absolutely all day yesterday. Literally from the time I got up till well after bedtime, no breaks. We had to go to the grocery store at one point and holy moly, people drive like nuts on SuperBowl day. Also, if you got a new big screen TV for the big game DON'T LEAVE THE GIANT BOX WITH A PICTURE OF THE TV ON YOUR PORCH, FACING STREET WHERE EVERY POTENTIAL THIEF WHO PASSES BY CAN SEE IT. Yeesh, people. Anyway, we actually did enjoy the game and a lot of the commercials. We also enjoyed our homemade burgers for supper.

This morning is bright and sunny, though I'm sure the ground is soggy. I reeeeeaaaally need to make writing progress today, so better go on and get to it.

Reactions: MaeZe and CWNitz

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mergh... anyone see a Monday morning around here? I seem to have lost mine, and a good chunk of the early afternoon. I know I had a Monday morning before 6:30, when I took the trash down the road. Everything after that is a blur of driving and waiting and shopping and home and more shopping and somewhere in there the sibling complaining (because when she said she wanted "cheap" paper towels, of course we're supposed to automatically know she means "a particular name brand and size" paper towels, and our failure to purchase accordingly is of course further proof that we hate her and the Universe hates her).

We were also promised thunderstorms. This morning the clouds looked promising for some nice Weather, but now they're just intermittently sprinkling.

So wherever Monday morning went, I think it took the thunder with it.

And I only have a couple hours now to chill and try to write (I have officially nixed exercise efforts today, because too much everything) before I find out if Mom meant it when she said she'd make dinner tonight or if I have to do that, too.

Considering how long it took me to begin to get anywhere near progress yesterday, I'm not holdin' my breath on any writing happening before dinner/dishes.

I have been promised no driving or shopping tomorrow. We shall see if that happens.

TL,DR: I hate shopping and I hate driving and I'm sick of family eating all my time and energy.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got the dog steps to get on the couch. Now I just have to shove her up and down them a gazillion times in hopes of getting her to use them. I didn't have to buy them. My son bought them for his greyhound but she wasn't able to use them without falling off. Poor baby.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My brother died. This is terrible. He was in the hospital but a week ago he was getting better and thought he'd be going home soon. I don't know the details yet. It was only a couple of hours ago. There are some condolences on his Facebook page that my other brother called me about.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
My brother died. This is terrible. He was in the hospital but a week ago he was getting better and thought he'd be going home soon. I don't know the details yet. It was only a couple of hours ago. There are some condolences on his Facebook page that my other brother called me about.
I'm so sorry to hear it. You have my deepest sympathy.

• Hug
Reactions: MaeZe

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am so sorry, MaeZe. Wishing you comfort.

• Hug

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Now we have a distinct layer of slushy snow in the yard, and the promised thunderstorm arrived with one of the brightest lightning flashes I've seen in ages and a crack almost on top of the valley...

And more thundering... I think I'll take the hint and shut down for a bit, even though power hasn't blipped.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so spaced out right now. I can't stay on any one web page before I check another one. I chatted with one of my cousins. Everyone is in different states and cities. Of all our cousins (ten of us) my brother is the first one to die. Only one cousin was younger, the one I was chatting with.

Makes me feel quite vulnerable given I was in the hospital myself in October and I'm not all the way well yet. I'm a year older than my brother who died.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for mortality! (And spacing out... hopefully you're not expecting yourself to just bounce back to total focus and clarity after news like that? Take some time. Watch some comfort media. Hug a pet. Track down the dread spectre of Death to his lair in the nether world and challenge him to a duel. Drink tea.)

Tuesday morning, and a sunny Valentine's Day with lingering snow on the ground. Today needs to be a writing day, no matter what family thinks... First, though, a review to write up.

• Love

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. 🫂 I'm glad to have you all as friends.

I heard from his wife today and the well isn't poisoned after all. She was texting me but didn't realize I had a land line. He had an aggressive form of leukemia and went downhill over the last 2 weeks. They did everything they could do but with his collapsed lung and the blood disorder he was born with he didn't survive. :cry:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I heard from his wife today and the well isn't poisoned after all. She was texting me but didn't realize I had a land line. He had an aggressive form of leukemia and went downhill over the last 2 weeks. They did everything they could do but with his collapsed lung and the blood disorder he was born with he didn't survive. :cry:
I am so very sorry. It's terrible to have to deal with the loss of any family member, anticipated or not.

Please be kind to yourself, and listen to your mind, body, and heart. There is never a wrong time to cry, to sleep, to be strong, to break down, to get angry. There is never a wrong time to set your grief aside for a minute, or an hour, or a day, and to find joy; you do not betray that grief, and it will patiently wait for you to pick it up again.

• Hug

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com

I'm so sorry, for you and the rest of your family.

• Hug