The RWA is at it again. Last time it celebrated Nazis. Now its Wounded Knee. What's up with the racist genocide?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Maryn

Fully Autumnal
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My immediate reaction is so ugly I'm not going to share it here. Y'all know me. Fill in the blanks.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
To borrow a quote: Oh myyyyy. Not a bit in there about a Christian mentor possibly taking her aside to get her to prayerfully consider the possibility that she might have been wrong. Not an iota of outward consideration that she could have handled it differently. Not from anyone in her circle.

That is a perfect example of one of the many reasons I left the church and left Christianity.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Not a bit in there about a Christian mentor possibly taking her aside to get her to prayerfully consider the possibility that she might have been wrong. Not an iota of outward consideration that she could have handled it differently.

Exactly. No awareness and no empathy at all.

Reactions: kinokonoronin

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I guess she really DOES have the emails and IMs to back her up.
Given what appears to be a sizeable readership who adore novels like this that reaffirm their world view, I have had an epiphany and now know my way to fame and fortune.

Imma write erotica in which the incel hero does or says something marginally clever (like maybe refuse to wear a mask on the subway) and instantly has all the hawt chickz hurling their naked bodies into his bed. Maybe Maryn will collaborate with me.

Presumably incels read?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Given what appears to be a sizeable readership who adore novels like this that reaffirm their world view, I have had an epiphany and now know my way to fame and fortune.

Imma write erotica in which the incel hero does or says something marginally clever (like maybe refuse to wear a mask on the subway) and instantly has all the hawt chickz hurling their naked bodies into his bed. Maybe Maryn will collaborate with me.

Presumably incels read?
Of course. Slowly, with simple words.
No, that is unfair, some of them read and write quite capably, but only on subjects that support their worldview.

Unimportant

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course. Slowly, with simple words.
No, that is unfair, some of them read and write quite capably, but only on subjects that support their worldview.
Hmm, I wonder what their discretionary spending budget is like. I bet I could charge triple for books in which their willie gets bigger every time they make a racial slurs.

• Haha
Reactions: kinokonoronin

Maryn

Fully Autumnal
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to have lots of trouble getting in the POV of an incel. Can't we write from the POV of a hawt chick, making it steamy without being fetishy because incels don't want to do anything The Gayz might like, only in an unforeseen twist she kills him, leaving no trace, and moves on to the next incel in the final few lines?

I would totally write that with you.

Maryn, already thinking about how to get away with it

Unimportant

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure incels aren't gonna pay fifty bucks a copy for that.

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
This group is based just north of Houston, Texas. It's one of the most conservative, rigorously Christian, and socially backwards places in America.

None of this should surprise anybody.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
This group is based just north of Houston, Texas. It's one of the most conservative, rigorously Christian, and socially backwards places in America.

None of this should surprise anybody.
"This group" is comprised of writers from all over the country. We have--or had, not sure now--3 separate chapters in the Seattle area alone. So, while it doesn't surprise me that the NWLs from far and wide have dominated the leadership and long made RWA a miserable place for marginalized members, it isn't because the org is based outside of Houston. The people who judged and voted for this book to win an award are from all over the place, and the publisher of this book is based in Michigan.

Unimportant

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Incredibly stupid question here (it just clicked in my brain, after all these years, that the A in RWA means "America") -- are all members of RWA Americans? Or do they also allow international authors?

Gosh, what weird stuff slinks across my brain before 8 am......

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
As far as I can tell, you don't have to be American to be an RWA member (at least I don't remember having to attest to anything of the sort, and there isn't an obvious declaration of citizenry requirement on the website). I suspect, though, that the advocacy is US/Canadian-centric (ie: dealing with Amazon), so it probably makes more sense for international authors to join more local orgs. Australia's version is also called RWA, so it may be less your morning brain and more because you have a regional association with the same initials. ;)

Reactions: Unimportant

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Incredibly stupid question here (it just clicked in my brain, after all these years, that the A in RWA means "America") -- are all members of RWA Americans? Or do they also allow international authors?

Gosh, what weird stuff slinks across my brain before 8 am......

They definitely allow non-Americans, as I am Canadian and used to be a member. But some of the benefits don't really apply if you are not American.

My local RWA chapter disaffiliated last year (I'm on the board)

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving