The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Re: re:confessions

Hey, it seems to have worked for Robert Stanek (he of the infamous Ruin Mist books).

But didn't he do that by writing bad reviews of new books by other fantasy authors? :grr And then IIRC each review said something like "If you want to read a really good fantasy novel, get Blah Blah Blah by Robert Stanek." However, people did figure him out. There was even a short bit about this in Ansible (an SF newsletter you can get via e-mail).

The sad thing is that for a while, his books ended up relatively high on the Amazon fantasy best-seller list. FWIW he had fairly high Amazon rankings, higher than some legit authors I knew who had wonderful new books out at that time. :bang

RealityChuck

Re: rage against pa

Where the heck did that PA poster get those "statistics"? A 5% return would be considered fantastic for a direct mailing to a targeted audience; to expect 5% return from e-mail spam is absurd. 0.00005% is more in line with reality; why else do they sell millions of e-mail addresses for a couple of hundred dollars?

My guess is that the "statistics" came from whoever sold him his spamming software.

DaveKuzminski

Re: Forget dumb marketing ideas

Anyone know of any authors who've taken the reverse approach of telling everyone that their book is awful just to see how many would buy it to find out if the book is really that bad?

Sher2

Re: What is "one source set up title"

I received an email that said her/his PA book couldn't be sold or even ordered because of something called "a one source set up"

"one source set up title, (have no clue what that is) that is preventing WaldenBooks from selling my book."

What is that? Why would it prevent books from being sold or even ordered.

I've never heard of that. I know that there are a number of reasons which prevent bookstores from selling these books, not the least of which is the no-returns policy, but I've never heard of "one source set up." I'll be interested to learn what that is.

Sher2

Anyone know of any authors who've taken the reverse approach of telling everyone that their book is awful just to see how many would buy it to find out if the book is really that bad?

I haven't heard of anyone doing it, but it's certainly a novel approach. I know of a book it would probably work on, too. LOL.

About the great spamming idea -- aren't people going to jail these days for doing that?

CaoPaux

No, but some PA books are being sought because folks think they are that bad. As in, they want them to replace Eye of Argon in their workshops. (To be fair, books from other vanity publishers are meeting the same fate.)

What a choice: anonymity or ignominy.

:gone

James D Macdonald

If someone wants to buy one of my books in order to mock it, that's great! Here, I've got more books you can mock. Want to buy copies of them too?

CaoPaux

Well, I am looking for a certain first edition of yours.... :)

lastr

Re: One Source

www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA272490?display=criticas&pubdate=2%2F1%2F03 This is a One Source program at Ingrams, and may be what they are talking about.

"Ingram Book Group's new partnership with Grupo ILHSA, the prominent Argentine retail group, promises improved U.S. distribution of Spanish-language books published overseas. Announced on January 2, this deal will significantly expand the number of Ingram's Spanish-language offerings for U.S. buyers. Ingram will now be able to provide approximately 70,000 Spanish-language titles at trade discount prices through its One Source program."

JohannaJ7

Re: re:confessions

Let's see how long it takes before Spam-Guy is reported to his e-mail provider. (And how long it takes for his inbox to fill with angry replies).

Whachawant

www.publishamerica.com/co...C05820.htm

Here's some major marketing for ya.. this is a photo of all the would be authors at there convention.. and their marketing their books through a 'no name' book store.

I wonder if they had to pay for the luxurious HOLIDAY INN that they stayed at .....and/or the coach ride.???

I guess the private jet was getting its rubber band changed........

lindylou45

is a photo of all the would be authors at there convention.. and their marketing their books through a 'no name' book store.

They certainly look happy about it, too.

reph

Re: For those trying to stop sale of their PA books

Join lots of Yahoo!groups? Post messages advertising your book? Uh.

There's a reason that Yahoo!group administrators have the option of screening messages from new members before releasing them to the group.

You may call it lunch meat, and Uncle Jim may call it spam, but I'm calling it baloney.

Whachawant

Re: For those trying to stop sale of their PA books

You may call it lunch meat, and Uncle Jim may call it spam, but I'm calling it baloney.

.....Now that.. is funny....:rofl

James D Macdonald

PA Doesn't Understand Copyright, Either

Observe this astounding response from the Logo over on the PA boards:

<a href="http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/6013.htm" target="_new">Copyright</a>

<blockquote>

By contract the copyright is already taken out in your name. Your signature and PA's sealed that. The copyright is yours, and you keep it. That's all the law wants to know.
It's your option to also register it with the Library of Congress if you want, and many authors do this, but that's all it is, an extra registration.
</blockquote>

Actually, their contract doesn't have a thing to do with it. Copyright, in the sense they're talking about it, exists from the moment a work is created in tangible form -- from the moment it's typed. This is covered <a href="http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html" target="_new">here</a>.

(With real publishers, the publisher registers the copyright in the author's name at the publisher's expense.)

So now it's the author's option to register the copyright? What will that do to PA's claim that every book is listed in the Library of Congress? We already know that they don't get CIP data -- some aren't registered either?

PA really ought to acquaint themselves with copyrights.

Here's something else that they should know:

<A HREF="http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#mdw"
MANDATORY DEPOSIT FOR WORKS PUBLISHED IN THE UNITED STATES</a><BLOCKQUOTE>
Although a copyright registration is not required, the Copyright Act establishes a mandatory deposit requirement for works published in the United States. See the definition of "publication." In general, the owner of copyright or the owner of the exclusive right of publication in the work has a legal obligation to deposit in the Copyright Office, within 3 months of publication in the United States, two copies (or in the case of sound recordings, two phonorecords) for the use of the Library of Congress. Failure to make the deposit can result in fines and other penalties but does not affect copyright protection.
</blockquote>

Wow. They need to hire a different high school student to run the InfoCenter desk.

<HR>

Hmmm.... what's the Logo doing up at 8:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning? Today's the day the NY Times ad is supposed to come out. Are they expecting a lot of traffic?

lastr

InfoCenter up early and providing mis-information

They need to hire a different high school student to run the InfoCenter desk.
:rofl I can always count on you Uncle Jim!

I see nothing on their board yet about the ad, did it run? I thought someone would post who was in it or how beautiful it is etc.

Carol

Sher2

Re: InfoCenter up early and providing mis-information

I see nothing on their board yet about the ad, did it run? I thought someone would post who was in it or how beautiful it is etc.

It can't be found in the online edition of the NYT, but I didn't expect it would be. I'm waiting anxiously for somebody to run out and get the paper and let us all know what's what.

Once upon a time, it would have been odd to see The Logo up and working at 8:00 A.M., but it looks like they've been running a graveyard shift for a while now, what with threads being deleted in the middle of the night and all.

lastr

What is this all about?

www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/6014.htm

Subject: Warning for Canadian writers

PA monitors, I would appreciate your non-interference on this post, in spite of your censorship of my last attempt to post this subject, as it has a critical impact on your Canadian writers.
If you are a Canadian writer and attempt to transport a significant number of your books to the States, you will be pulled over at customs, held for a minimum of three hours, fingerprinted and asked to take the books back before you cross the border.
Bottom line?
It is illegal in the States for a non-American citizen to sell books in the States.
Just for your information,

James D Macdonald

PublishAmerica Big Spenders' List

Here are the folks featured in the now-famous ad, together with their sales figures.

<HR>
Heroes are Hard to Find
by Mike Looney
ISBN: 1413716679
(April 26, 2004)
Amazon.com Sales Rank: 1,250,211
Barnes & Noble Sales Rank: 271,631
Ingram's Stock Information:
<BLOCKQUOTE>
On hand across all warehouses: 1
On order across all warehouses: 1
On backorder across all warehouses: 0
This week's unadjusted demand: 0
Last week's adjusted demand: 2
Total sales this year: 19
Total sales last year: 0
</blockquote>
<HR>

Four Roses for Sarah
by Gerry Edwards
ISBN: 1413733980
(August 9, 2004)
Amazon.com Sales Rank: None
Barnes & Noble Sales Rank: None
<BLOCKQUOTE>
On hand across all warehouses: 0
On order across all warehouses: 0
Last week's adjusted demand: 0
Total sales this year: 0
</blockquote>
<HR>

God and Man in Perfect Union : God's Plan for Man's Perfection
by Joe S. Philip
ISBN: 1413723691
(August 2, 2004)
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</blockquote>
<HR>

A Window to the World
by Eunice Boeve
ISBN: 1413732127
(July 26, 2004)
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</blockquote>
<HR>

The Fairy Chronicles Book One : Marigold and the Feather of Hope
by J.H. Sweet
ISBN: 1413729789
(July 26, 2004)
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</blockquote>
<HR>

By the Water's Edge
by Roger Lee Scott
ISBN: 1413717195
(June 2004)
Amazon.com Sales Rank: 2,720,249
<BLOCKQUOTE>
Total sales this year: 4
</blockquote>
<HR>

A Handsome Guy: True story of the elite Marine Scout/Snipers during the WWII Battle of Okinawa
by Phillip R. Dolan
ISBN: 1413726372
(July 20, 2004)
Barnes & Noble Sales Rank: 79,039
<BLOCKQUOTE>
On hand across all warehouses: 9,999
Last week's adjusted demand: 2
Total sales this year: 1
</blockquote>
<HR>

Island Of Terror
by Erika Butler
ISBN: 1413721273
(May 17, 2004)
Amazon.com Sales Rank: 2,210,901
Barnes & Noble Sales Rank: 336,915
<BLOCKQUOTE>
On hand across all warehouses: 6
Total sales this year: 4
</blockquote>
<HR>

Pacified Zone
by Gary W. Suffern
ISBN: 1413730779
(August 2, 2004)
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</blockquote>
<HR>

A Word of Encouragement
by Michael Alford
ISBN: 141373264X
(July 26, 2004)
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</blockquote>

lastr

Re: NYT Ad

Those sales numbers from Ingrams are the saddest thing I've seen in a long time. B&N and Amazon rankings also bear out the belief that all sales counted must have come through PA site only. Unless a LOT of people bought directly from PA those authors bought their place into that Ad. None of the PA books that are actually selling anything except to the author themselves is represented. Jim, it proves your point one more time - PA's business model is to sell to its' own authors only.

Wonder how many each had to buy to get in that Ad?

Wonder what the reaction on the PA board will be?

lastr

Re: On hand across all warehouses: 9,999

Books listing 9,999 in stock at Ingrams are One Source books and it is a bug in the software to list that many available - it is true for all One Source books when they are first added. Information on One Source listed above. (A friend of mine has his book listed that way, got all excited about the stock numbers and called to inquire.)

James D Macdonald

Re: NYT Ad

Wonder how many each had to buy to get in that Ad?

If any of those authors would like to email me directly, to tell me how many copies they bought, I promise to keep their individual information and identities confidential.

My address: [email protected]

Sher2

Re: PublishAmerica Big Spenders' List

Only 28 sales among them (irrespective of the large author purchases to make the list in the first place)? That's rather sad, I think.

lastr

Re: NYT 11th book Ad

Jim, is the other Ad (bought by the poetry author) on the same page with the PA Ad?

lastr

Re: PA NYT Numbers

Only 28 sales among them (irrespective of the large author purchases to make the list in the first place)? That's rather sad, I think.
Plus the few books bought directly from LS that make up the numbers shown on B&N and Amazon, probably another 50 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.