The New W1S1 High Tea Bar and Lounge (with extra-comfy sofas)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I think I write boring stories. I've gotten what seems like lots of rejections of late with comments like beautiful writing, but it's just too slow or nice idea but the stakes aren't high enough and that kind of thing. I don't think they're boring obviously! I wouldn't send them out if I did. But maybe I just write boring stories.

Had a good month with writing so far though, so that's good, and I'm looking forward to NaNo (it suits my drafting style).

• Hug
Reactions: Izz and ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Tamlyn, it's so damned hard. And soul sucking :Hug2:

I wonder, maybe a slight shift in the markets you're sending to? For the record, I don't think you'd be getting regular, personalized Rs if your stories were actually boring.

I still haven't finished the story that should have been finished a week ago. Two weeks ago, but who's counting, eh? Inbox has been quiet, a few Rs but the responses have been slow coming.

• Hug
Reactions: Izz

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, ap123.

I went and looked at my little section of shelf I have with the books that I can see my name printed in. Not many there, but it made me feel better. (It sounds... arrogant? when I say it aloud, but it's my little corner of joy.

Good luck getting your story finished!

Reactions: ap123 and Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hope your writing outlook has turned around, Tamlyn (you write very good stories, btw, based on the ones I've read :)), and hope everybody else is trucking along nicely.

I've been pretty absent because, well, I haven't been doing much. Still muddling along very slowly on the final edits of Spider's Hub. Was supposed to release it in August, revised that to November, and now am thinking it probably won't be until February at the earliest. I've basically ditched short stories for now - for reasons of both time and the fact my brain seems stuck in longform mode. I still have those 3 shorts doing the rounds, though all have been out 85 days plus. I don't think that means anything particularly except that they're with venues that take longer than that to respond :D

The especially frustrating thing (which is always the especially frustrating thing when I don't have much time to write) is that the ideas are still coming. Doesn't my brain know I already have a full whiteboard with enough material for the next 2-3 years! And the new ideas are so damned compelling!

Anyway, it's one word in front of the other for now. I may have found a way to fit more creativity into my schedule but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet :)

Reactions: ap123

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
*waves*

Thank you, Izz, that is very nice of you to say.

I hope your new schedule works out. I enjoy months where I take breaks, but if I didn't do anything creative, I'd pull my hair out.

NaNo is going well! All the words, and lots of time in between the words to catch up on some other stuff (like some fun baking/desserts).

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Tamlyn! I'm glad to see NaNo is going well for you :) Your little corner of joy sounds perfect, well-deserved, and necessary. :love:
I did finish that short, and sent it off to a mag where you can generally expect to see an R within hours but it's been...8 days. Not sure if I should get hopeful or assume it was lost in cyberspace. I have several others out where I'm waiting and waiting and waiting on replies. One is for sure on a hold, and the rest, who knows? So frustrating when the subs go much beyond the expected wait time. And no, I'm not particularly hopeful on all of them, I'm watching on Grinder and Duotrope and see their response times are just getting longer. Sigh. I'm between stories right now, and the lack of responses is making it very difficult to get myself motivated.

Izz, I know your time has been limited recently, but it sounds like you're still doing all you can, and my hat's off to you. For whatever reason, long is what your brain wants to work on right now, and that isn't a bad thing at all. :) I hope you hear back soon on those shorts, though--and that it's good news! I'm fairly linear in how I write, but when I get those insistent ideas that won't go away, I make a note or two for when I can look again.

Reactions: Tamlyn and Izz

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Tamlyn.

I've slipped from high hopes to hopeless. WHAT is going on with the queues these days? Response times are so inconsistent for so many, apparently my words get shunted to the we'll-get-around-to-it-eventually pile. :e2drown:

• Hug

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Ok. Two of my overdue responses came in after I'd posted the above. Who knew whining on AW could be such a powerful spell? :p Both Rs, which is fine, I'd always rather get a response and keep it all moving then be stuck waiting. Sent 4 subs yesterday, maybe I'll actually get to write again this week.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure your other overdues are just acceptances they haven't got around to sending yet!

Look, if whining works, maybe the other way will as way.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Two of the still-outs are holds, so I'm definitely hope hope hoping at least one of them will be an acceptance.

(do you think that's whiny enough? :LOL:)

Reactions: Tamlyn

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Rejection received today. Did a read-through, made some edits, got it back out the door. It's 6800 words, though, and while it's only garnered 7 rejections so far (mostly of the politely positive 'submit more stories in future' form), it's almost already near the end of the paying market list...

• Hug
Reactions: ap123 and Tamlyn

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
So, scarily, it is almost the end of the year. I managed my goal for the year - eleven proper story edits, and two light, which I'm counting as the twelfth, plus the twelve new drafts - though I don't feel like I did much better on actually submitting. I sure didn't sell anything.

Still, I'm happy to have made the initial goal. I'll have to think about next year soon, but it's nice taking a break in December. Doing some editing but not pushing myself at all.

Hope everyone else has had some success in their year, even if not the success they'd hoped for (or, better yet, both!).

Reactions: ap123 and Izz

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! for meeting your goals, Tamlyn!

Izz, hopefully this sub will be the one for your story.

My two holds came back, Rs, along with several other Rs. blech.

I'm shocked, but after trying to make my goal a realistic one, I did it. I wrote six stories this year. Subbing/sales, not so successful. :/ I have one short and the novella left to write in order to finish this novel-in-stories, but I'm pulling back from writing and subbing for a bit, the why bother voice is too loud right now.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yay for reaching goals! And I'm sure you'll come back from your writing break reinvigorated :D

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
*dusts off the furniture for the new year*

I don't think I will have a set number of stories I want to write or edit this year. Just some. And make sure I get some subbed. That's the aim.

I'm starting the year with four stories in the world (that is, subbed). One of them is in final consideration, but it's along with, you know, 40 or 50 other stories, so trying not to hope.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year.

Tamlyn, I've found nonspecific "some" goals to be very useful. Good luck with your subs, especially the one currently on hold!

I thought I didn't have a writing goal for this year, but I'm realizing I do--to decide whether or not I'm going to finish writing this collection, and if so, to finish it.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
One month gone already! The subforum has somewhat faded away again, hasn't it? Oh well. I'm still around.

Got a rejection, but also got another sub out, so still at four subs. I saw an anthology call that I had a piece that fit. I cleaned it up and sent it in. I don't think it has much chance, but it now has more than if I hadn't bothered sending it.

I gave myself a sticker for my writing goals in January because I managed them all, got so much editing done and, why not, stickers are fun.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the anthology, Tamlyn! Stickers, cookies, whatever works. :heart:

For now, I have put the collection on pause. I still have about 6 subs out (one is over 6 months old, aargh!), didn't send any subs in January. A surprise acceptance from one of them would be lovely, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've been playing with the opening to a new potential full, which is ridiculous, bc I started the collection since I said no more fulls, yet here I am.

Reactions: Tamlyn

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Plop.

Two rejections, both of them holds or long list or whatever to call it. One had only just been held the week before, and I would have liked to pretend to hope for a while longer! First time I've made it past the first round at that market though (trying to look on the bright side and not just be sad lol).

Should send at least one of the stories back out, but it's already been almost everywhere it can go. So plop.

Hannya Kay

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you all don't mind if I get settled in one of these extra comfy sofas. I might be there a while. My story is in the slushpile and has been for a long time now. Soon a 2nd one joining it, if I fulfill my Write1 Sub1 objective. Number 3 and 4 are under revision (pfff).

Going to have a nice cool drink while I refresh my Moksha sub status... Yep. No. Still there.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
This thread has been quiet for a long time, but welcome, Hannya--and good luck on that sub! You hope and hope that refreshing the Moksha page will make the magic happen and yet, lol. They'll respond eventually :)

Reactions: Hannya Kay