The New W1S1 High Tea Bar and Lounge (with extra-comfy sofas)

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I typed up what I wrote in my notebook today - 550 words (plus further brainstorming) on the new story and 200 words on the other story.
Nice!
(also, in case you noticed a like disappearing and then reappearing, that was me clicking the wrong button)
My latest is up to…attempt #6 at finding a way into the story? Trying different moments and POVs. I like this latest one, letting the poetry fly a bit after a couple of more prosaic stories.
[update, yep, so far so good on the poetic version. Notes suddenly popping up one after another, and I think I can see where the puzzle pieces fit together.]
Sounds like you finally found the way into the treasure chamber!
I just look at the stattage and go, that’s a lot of words!
Heh - I think it looks like a lot more words than it actually is...
I will wander across to the 2022 thread at some point, but I have no clue what sort of goals I'm going to be going for yet (how is it even almost 2022 anyway?).
For me, pandemic-time seems to have gone faster than pre-pandemic-time. I talk to other people though, and they say time is dragging, so maybe it's just me getting old :tongue
I absolutely do not have an entire folder full of started, unfinished stories, ranging from a few pages to a few sentences. Nope, not me.

<<
Glad to hear it! Wouldn't want to have to report you to the ASP - the Abandoned Story Police. Those guys can get really whiny about potentially brilliant lost ideas and stuff...

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
Writing progress is being made in between feeding, changing, and playing with grandbaby and working the regular jobs as well. 88,000+ words, working on the final eight or ten chapters, plus continuing to edit chapters that were recently finished. Still got a ways to go, but I can see the end from here. Our "gift" from the college is three weeks off during the holidays- without pay. Ask me what I think of the "Happy Holidays; we value our staff and faculty" emails we get this time of year. The upside is I will have time to work on this project.

Reactions: Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Writing progress is being made in between feeding, changing, and playing with grandbaby and working the regular jobs as well. 88,000+ words, working on the final eight or ten chapters, plus continuing to edit chapters that were recently finished. Still got a ways to go, but I can see the end from here.
Nice!
Our "gift" from the college is three weeks off during the holidays- without pay. Ask me what I think of the "Happy Holidays; we value our staff and faculty" emails we get this time of year.
And that sucks!
The upside is I will have time to work on this project.
Silver linings :D

Not much to report here. Working on stuff but slowly. And that's about it, writing-wise :)

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
Been thinking about the bridge chapter I need to write in order to advance one of the characters toward his ultimate departure from his present situation. This particular writing process involves long walks alone, staring blankly at walls, and drifting off during conversations with others who may or may not be used to my space cadet tendencies. After four and a half decades with me, my husband recognizes the phenomenon though he doesn't necessarily appreciate the more extreme moments of cogitation.;)

• Haha

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Been thinking about the bridge chapter I need to write in order to advance one of the characters toward his ultimate departure from his present situation. This particular writing process involves long walks alone, staring blankly at walls, and drifting off during conversations with others who may or may not be used to my space cadet tendencies. After four and a half decades with me, my husband recognizes the phenomenon though he doesn't necessarily appreciate the more extreme moments of cogitation.;)
You have to respect the process, right? :D

Oh, I started watching Castle yesterday. Been meaning to for a long time but just hadn't got around to it. Love me some Nathan Fillion!

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
Gotta love technology.

Also got to love oldsters' adjustments to text acronyms. Woman told me the tale of a family member dying. During a text, she wrote LOL, thinking it meant Lots of Love. I'm still looking acronym explanations up.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
During a text, she wrote LOL, thinking it meant Lots of Love. I'm still looking acronym explanations up.
That's what it used to mean, pre-internet/text messaging, right?

I have a new monitor! Bought it specifically to help with eye strain as between day job and writing I spend a lot of hours in front of the screen. Set it up yesterday, figured out settings, etc, and am about to properly field test it now! :partyguy:

Reactions: Tamlyn

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our "gift" from the college is three weeks off during the holidays- without pay.
Ours is similar: required to take two and a half weeks off by using up our paid holiday (vacation) days.

And the usual end of year bunfight comes with the fine-print caveat that non vaccinated people are allowed to attend. Which means I shall not.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Rejection received! Story back out into the world!

This is actually a difficult story to find markets for. It's speculative, but only faintly so, but I don't feel like the speculative element will suit many literary mags. That being said, it's got nice send-more forms from the straight spec-fic markets it's been too already, so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
NaNo finished! I got 50k, though I did not write much in excess of that. Plan to finish up the book over December (it's pretty close to the end... I draft short and go back and add in subplots, characterisation, description, you know, those important things when editing). I will also try to get that story I mentioned before done before the anthology window closes.

Otherwise I like to have a nice, relaxed December, with lots of reading, to refresh myself for the new year.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite what I was expecting to do, but I trimmed down an old flash piece for Apex Magazine's monthly microfiction competition (250 words max, down from ~400 for this one). I think I like the shorter version better.

Still have a couple of malingering stories I need to send out again, but brain no work tonight so that'll wait a bit longer. Two story swaps start tomorrow (well, signups for one, prompts sent out for the other, allegedly). And revisions on the one story are super-slowly creeping forward.

(Oh, and I just put down a deposit on some home repairs that are flaring up All Teh Anxiety and contributing to the brain no work problem. Mushrooms growing on the side of my house really ought to be more magical than these ones are.)

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
…and now I has a new shiny. :D Prompts for the first swap are out already, and this one took about two hours to hand me title, character, and broad strokes of plot and voice. Interesting to see how that narrows down.

Reactions: Tamlyn and Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Ours is similar: required to take two and a half weeks off by using up our paid holiday (vacation) days.
But at least the weather's usually good, right? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I say that sarcastically, because traditionally, even though our Christmas holidays are in the middle of summer, it always seems to rain buckets over that time. And yet every year, a lot of people go camping, and there's always some campers somewhere flooded off their sites. It's like Russian roulette with nature...
NaNo finished!
Nicely done! :snoopy::snoopy:
I got 50k, though I did not write much in excess of that. Plan to finish up the book over December (it's pretty close to the end... I draft short and go back and add in subplots, characterisation, description, you know, those important things when editing). I will also try to get that story I mentioned before done before the anthology window closes.

Otherwise I like to have a nice, relaxed December, with lots of reading, to refresh myself for the new year.
Sounds like a nice December coming up!
Not quite what I was expecting to do, but I trimmed down an old flash piece for Apex Magazine's monthly microfiction competition (250 words max, down from ~400 for this one). I think I like the shorter version better.
woop woop! :banana: :banana:
(Oh, and I just put down a deposit on some home repairs that are flaring up All Teh Anxiety and contributing to the brain no work problem. Mushrooms growing on the side of my house really ought to be more magical than these ones are.)
Oooh, that don't sound so good. Yep, best to get it fixed up if you're able to do so. Damp homes are never good homes.
…and now I has a new shiny. :D Prompts for the first swap are out already, and this one took about two hours to hand me title, character, and broad strokes of plot and voice. Interesting to see how that narrows down.
Yesssss! :e2cheer:

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving