The New Never-Ending PublishAmerica Thread (NEPAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
The releases come as a big relief, but sad at the same time. Two years ago when I signed my first contract with PA I was on cloud nine and thought I was going to be on my way to a wonderful career of writing and even with my second book, I was still hopeful. All of you know what disappointment came with time. That is the sad part of it all. I now look forward to going on with my writing and not have to worry about this any longer. I made a mistake by going with PA and now it's over.

Jennifer Robins

Ilovepensandpaper

Come...Tell me about it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vianiholtappeal.blogspot.com
Hi, everyone! It has been awhile - again. Don't beat me up!!! Sometimes I just have to step away for my own sanity - and so I can WRITE!
I borrowed an idea from Word Addict and posted PA's email responses to me online. It took me a while, but it is needed.

Welcome to all the newbies here - we here specialize in RESPECT!

Tina

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
PA writers: We have your best interest at heart

This is from the PAMB: One word about the PA bashers that seem to abound. I have discovered there are a very few people out there who write these hate messages under a huge variety of names to appear as if there is never ending army of PA haters. I don't know what the motivation could possibly be other than sheer lunacy and were such animosity even warranted, what's the benefit? There are hundreds if not thousands of thrilled authors like me who gladly and proudly attest to the superb job PA does for its authors. And and this army is growing everyday and our book sales are breaking records everywhere to prove the point. PA does publish talented gifted storytellers and the reading public is smart enough to recognize good stories when they find them.

A response: There are definitely more than a "few" people concerned with PA's business practices, including people like me who have not been printed by PA but who know a little bit about how the commercial publishing industry works. Many of us are legitimately published so envy is not the motivator. If we wished to become PA authors, it appears to simply be a matter of submitting a book-length manuscript.

Publish America has been known to publish books that were complete gibberish. The PA books I have seen feature extremely poor editing, amateurish writing and in some cases, questionable content. Good ones get lost in the shuffle, as you judged by the company you keep.

We don't want to make life difficult for you. Our real "motivation" is to help and hopefully educate aspiring writers.

If you don't want to believe us, contact your national writer's guild and see if you qualify for full (published) author membership (other than associate or "unpublished membership" status). If not, ask why and then ask yourself if the members of the Writer's or Author's Guild in the US or Canada are just jealous of you, or if they are not recognizing PA for many good reasons.

Have your friends/relatives been able to order the books successfully through their local bookstores, or are they unavailable or worse, does the bookstore refuse to place orders for PA books?

Normally, a writing career takes years to establish. Not just the writing, but the struggle to find a respectable literary agent and publisher. It usually requires making a bit of a "name" for yourself prior to your first novel through published articles, short stories or interviews.

I'm hearing too many sad stories about PA and the dashed dreams of its authors. It's heartbreaking.

Tina

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Christine N. said:
Well, I guess that depends on how you look at it. Fortunate for them, unfortunate for the other PA authors who might have learned from them.

Guess I wasn't clear on what you were saying. Am I correct in assuming from this statement, that you mean if they were allowed to stay on the PAMB and express their opinions they would be a help to the other authors? If that is what you meant, I agree. Otherwise, not sure what you meant by first statement. :)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
FROM THE PAMB:

"I think that as far as overall sales go, however, that PA does look at the books you buy directly from them. YES THEY DO WHEN CONSIDERING YOUR THIRD SUBMISSION AS YOU'VE STATED. The $10 they make per book goes toward the overall cost of publishing the book, BUT IT'S CONSIDERABLY LESS PER BOOK IN ACTUAL COST so I believe that if you order 50 books and it costs you $500 then that is $500 that goes into PA's pocket toward their overall cost of publication. BINGO--BUT IT'S NOT THE PUBLICATION COST THEY'RE TRYING TO COVER--IT'S THEIR TOTAL LIVLIHOOD Obviously they make more if someone buys it at Amazon or at a book store but money in their pocket toward expenses is still money in their pocket toward expenses." DANG, I THOUGHT THEY PROFESSED TO CHARGING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR THE PRODUCTION OF THE BOOK, BUT NOW YOU ARE ADMITTING PUBLICATION EXPENSES?

This is a PA author that has been shot and grazed with a clue gun bullet.

From his own mouth he has just described a vanity press.

Tri

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
However you phrase it, PA prey on the naive, the inexperienced and in some cases, the just plain clueless.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One day soon those who don't know, will.

Then, how will previous words spoken stay in the stomach without revisit from those spoken against.

PA is a Jeykle and Hyde dream maker, and stealer all in the same boat. Knowledge of the industry by their writers changes them into the latter.

Someday PA will get their come-up-ins, and It'll take a week to wipe the grin from my face.

Mystic

Registered
Reaction score
I have been out of town and decided to check out what has been happening on the board. There were several references to a NASCAR book. Well, PA must have had second thoughts about it, because the PA bookstore says the book does not exist.

Someone must have been reading the board again. Too bad the editors at PA didn't spend as much time reading my book as they do reading this board!

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
Guys-

The debate is on for Sunday.

Jeff Miller, aka Alien Enigma, will debate Jim Macdonald. We are going to take on a few topics, but the basis will be Jeff's reasons for declining other publsihers for PA.

Each is providing me quesitons to choose from. I will add my own. They will individually be asked the quesiton, given one minute to answer, and then the other will be given one minute to respond.

Though I am giving them most of the show, I don't know if we will take calls or not. If so, the call in number will be state during the show.

You can listen live at www.am990.com. The show is Ed Horrell and Talk About Service. It will also be available for later listening via my podcast and archives if you miss it. It is broadcast live at noon CDT this Sunday.

I have been sent some additional quesitons to consider. If you want to, pleae PM me with any you have.

I want this to be respectful and fair to both gentlemen. They are free to take whatever gloves off they desire....I will simply ask the questions and keep the time.

Last edited:

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow !! Bad flashbacks !!HB Marcus, MArk Wirtz and the Easter Day Massacre. Makes me knda nostalgic for the old PA board when HB was the Pit Poodle Prince of Publish America and the Court Jester of Global Talk Radio."Memories.. like the corner of my mind!" AS far as the debate.. Uncle Jim will do to Enigma what he did to Ms. Watkins on the debate thread.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Memphis Ed said:
Guys-

The debate in on for Sunday.

Jeff Miller, aka Alien Enigma, will debate Jim Macdonald. We are going to take on a few topics, but the basis will be Jeff's reasons for declining other publsihers for PA.

One thing is for certain. James D. McDonald knows what he's talking about when it comes to the publishing industry, and writing.

Anyone who cares to debate him better have their facts straight. He knows the correct answer for any question posed.

And, knows if the other guy is blowing smoke.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Ken Schneider said:
One thing is for certain. James D. McDonald knows what he's talking about when it comes to the publishing industry, and writing.

And Jim will be a perfect gentleman throughout, I'm sure. His message might be harsh, but it will come with the tone and sincerity of Mr. Miyagi. If Jeff wants to go all pro wrasslin' attitude and bluster, he won't gain any credibility.

TracySutterer & GaryRogers

Coffee Fanatics
Registered
Reaction score
Since I Have Been De-PublishAmericaized...

Since I had my heart attack, Stent implantation, and a Leukemia scare (I suffer from the run-of-the mill Anemia) and finally being released from the clutches of the PublishAmerica contract - I am feeling better, thank you. The pain in my lower back is still present. Since I do not meet the criteria for the Veterans Administration for a back operation to remove two herniated discs and bone spurs, I have to plead my case with the local hospital to refer me to an orthopedic surgeon that accepts Medicare and AARP coverage. The list of pain pills I consume each day is numerous, and I am getting tired of living life like a really elderly person (I am 52).

Aside from all that - my writing abilities have been short-circuited by the experience I had with PublishAmerica. They wore me down to such an extent, that the fire in my stomach to create a work of fiction / non-fiction has been extinguished. I have tried to re-write my book many times. However, each time I begin a writing session to re-write my memoir - the sting of PublishAmerica hits me deep within my brain, and I abandon the effort.I believe that my creativeness has been nullified by “PublishAmericaitis,” and it will take a long time to recover from this malady. Yeah, I know - the malady of which I speak of is “self induced,” and I should fight off its effects on my writing.

However, with everything I have to contend with, mentally & physically - it is very difficult to build up a full head of steam to begin writing again. Sure, I write small articles on an opinion based website www.useless-knowledge.com/columnists/argilestox (you may have to click twice on that site to read the articles). However, I am unable and or unwilling to unfurl the sails and begin another writing crusade. PublishAmerica has sucked the creative juices out of the gray matter that is housed in a bone sanctuary which sits between my ears.

I am a very angry man. PublishAmerica promised in writing that my memoir would be placed in brick & mortar” bookstores. That did not happen. A customer must order the book from the bookstore and or a bookstore’s Web site. PublishAmerica promised in writing that they would assist in promoting my memoir. Yeah, sending flyers to my friends and relatives is not what I would call promotion. PublishAmerica promised in writing that my book would be reasonably priced. I don’t think $24.95 for a 325 page trade paperback is reasonable. In addition, Author Support sent “tone” letters to me when I questioned their business practices.

In short, it took a war of e-mail words, columns written on web sites, and an almost initiated media campaign - exposing their scam operation, to get released from the chains of their publishing contract. All of which has left this writer exhausted and worn out.

Will I ever re-write my memoir? I don’t know. It appears pointless to revisit that issue. When the memoir was in print with PublishAmerica, the book sold only about twenty copies. The general population is just not interested in the plight of the homeless in the USA. Will I ever write another book? I really don’t know. I am a non-fiction writer. I tried my hand at writing fiction, and failed miserably.

I truly do not know if there is another book formulating in my brain. The future is just that - the future. Well, at least I am writing in short spurts - like this post. Well, that is all I know for now.

Argile Stox

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
Ken Schneider said:

Anyone who cares to debate him better have their facts straight. He knows the correct answer for any question posed.

And, knows if the other guy is blowing smoke.

I wouldn't want to debate Uncle Jim on my favorite color.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
TracySutterer & ArgileStox said:
Aside from all that - my writing abilities have been short-circuited by the experience I had with PublishAmerica. They wore me down to such an extent, that the fire in my stomach to create a work of fiction / non-fiction has been extinguished. I have tried to re-write my book many times. However, each time I begin a writing session to re-write my memoir - the sting of PublishAmerica hits me deep within my brain, and I abandon the effort.I believe that my creativeness has been nullified by “PublishAmericaitis,” and it will take a long time to recover from this malady. Yeah, I know - the malady of which I speak of is “self induced,” and I should fight off its effects on my writing.

However, with everything I have to contend with, mentally & physically - it is very difficult to build up a full head of steam to begin writing again. Sure, I write small articles on an opinion based website www.useless-knowledge.com/columnists/argilestox (you may have to click twice on that site to read the articles). However, I am unable and or unwilling to unfurl the sails and begin another writing crusade. PublishAmerica has sucked the creative juices out of the gray matter that is housed in a bone sanctuary which sits between my ears.

I am a very angry man. PublishAmerica promised in writing that my memoir would be placed in brick & mortar” bookstores. That did not happen. A customer must order the book from the bookstore and or a bookstore’s Web site. PublishAmerica promised in writing that they would assist in promoting my memoir. Yeah, sending flyers to my friends and relatives is not what I would call promotion. PublishAmerica promised in writing that my book would be reasonably priced. I don’t think $24.95 for a 325 page trade paperback is reasonable. In addition, Author Support sent “tone” letters to me when I questioned their business practices.

Argile Stox

My dear firend Argile,

You've cleared so many hurtles, the last one you must overcome is the bitterness from your PA experience. I've read many of your offerings in "Useless Knowledge". You are a talented writer, you need to make a conscious decision to move on. The bitterness with PA is like a Cancer eatiing at your mind and body. The kind of resentment you have is not healthy. You have a woman that loves and cares about you greatly, you have your book back and you are still alive. Embrace life, and purge the PA experience from your soul.

I know it's difficult because I've been, emotionally, where you are. But, you're just as strong and determined as I ever was and I know you can do this. My friend, let it go. You won, you achieved your goal, take your prize and let go if the hate and bitterness. PA has already forgotten you and moved on. You only grant them power by agonizing over the experience. You have the talent, you have the support, you CAN move forward.

You have my deepest admiration and respect, I know you can accomplish whatever you set ou to do

Your friend,

-Greg B

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And here's someone else wondering why fresh mistakes are appearing in the manuscript instead of existing ones being removed.

Sadly, as long as the music plays, it's all part of the ride, friend.

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=15660

Last edited:

SonoranWriter

Registered
Reaction score
That thread mentions option 3 for editing - what are the options and how much does each cost?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but
1. No Spellchecker
2. Quick Spellchecker
3. Slow Spellchecker

Cost? Time

SonoranWriter said:
That thread mentions option 3 for editing - what are the options and how much does each cost?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.